Search Unity

ProBuilder Curved/Spiral Stair With Outer Wall

Discussion in 'World Building' started by KKlouzal, Sep 30, 2019.

1. KKlouzal

KKlouzal

I'm trying to make a curved staircase that has a matching curved wall around the outer edge that spans the entire height of the staircase.

I can't seem to find a way to make the matching outer wall, can anyone explain how to do this?

Thank you for your time I really appreciate it.

Elendhill likes this.
  2. KKlouzal

KKlouzal

I am still unable to find a way to create a curved wall that follows the outer radius of a curved stairway if anyone can help me I would be very grateful.

Essentially it would be a cube with one edge that curves inwards where the staircase would be located.

3. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

1. Create your curved staircase (note the radius and number of steps under "Shape Tool")
    2. "Build Pipe" shape/object around the staircase. The number of sides will be double the number of steps in a half-circle of your staircase.
    3. Vertically extrude the pipe object you just created. You can do this with the "face selection tool". Optionally, you can use the select face ring to do that faster/easier.

You can also directly extrude the faces directly from the staircase. The downside to this approach is that for a game, you might want to have the outer wall destructible, while leaving the staircase intact.

Elendhill and steryo like this.
  4. KKlouzal

KKlouzal

Thanks for your reply. My initial thought was to use the pipe tool as you've described above, however, my stairs are 1/4th of a circle and not 1/2 which means I need to setup the pipe tool to use 4X the number of sides proportional to the number of steps and this value is greater than the maximum allowed sides when setting up the pipe tool.

I was hoping there would be a way to take the platform you see above the stairs and essentially 'wrap it down' the outside edge of the stairs.

Extruding the stairs directly might be the best choice here but i'm not sure where to extrude from.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  5. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

There is...it would be extruding the outside of the staircase to the furthest edge of your platform. Alternatively, you could split the vertices on the platform....you could do that, but it would be a headache and would create extra vertices.