Search Unity

Probuilder collapsed faces not deleted?!

Discussion in 'World Building' started by andyz, Sep 16, 2018.

1. andyz

andyz

So if I take a cube and move 2 top vertices on top of 2 bottom vertices [using grid snap or vertex snap] to make a slope then I expect the collapsed faces [with zero size now] to be removed from the model and any vertices on top of each other to be combined, yet the shape still has the same number of verts & polys.

This must be a frustation when modelling, it seems you can collapse vertices to combine properly and/or choose to remove degenerate triangles from the menus but this is not ideal.

Why can it not do these things automatically as you model to make it much quicker?

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi andyz!

The reason we don't auto-collapse verts is because hoomans are inconsistent ;) More technically, it's a pretty common thing to push verts on each other, either as part of a multi-step manipulation process, or accidentally, or just temporarily. If we aggressively collapsed those verts without asking the user, that could be even more frustrating- I always prefer to error on the side of "do only what the user asks, don't confuse with unexpected results".

However...there is definitely room for something here. We're looking into "safety net" stuff that could be enabled. :)

erdostamasa likes this.
  3. andyz

andyz

Ok interesting, I do not know how often this would happen in general use but I just find it strange to look at the generated unity mesh and see triangle and vertex counts that don't quite make sense because degenerate tris and duplicate verts.

Perhaps you can safely do it after all vertices are de-selected in some cases that would cause issues, with an option toggle.
    Or add an optimise button that removes all duplicate verts and degenerate triangles...

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Yep, something like an "optimize" button, and a setting for how aggressively it auto-optimizes (0 being default), is what I've been leaning towards :)

Also, in case you are seeing extra vertices that don't make sense- normals, UVs, and other situations can actually force a vertex to split, also. Visually (and functionally, when selecting and manipulating) there is only 1 vertex of course, but the vertex count will not match what you see, because that vertex must be split on other levels.