Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Probuilder bug: Unexpected Token with standard vertex colors

Discussion in 'World Building' started by LMichelle, May 31, 2018.

1. LMichelle

LMichelle

Hello there,

I am using Windows 10, Unity 2018.1.2f1. Also occurred in 2018.1.0b13.
    Probuilder worked fine until I started it up today and when I clicked on any of the parts, it became like this:
    upload_2018-5-31_10-13-39.png

This is the error:
    "
    Shader error in 'ProBuilder/Standard Vertex Color': syntax error: unexpected token ';' at line 288 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with POINT LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING
    "

Also, if it matters, I have realtime global illumination and baked global illumination both turned off. No fog either.
    The shader shows up under 'failed to compile'; If I select Probuilders Diffuse Vertex Color, I get back colors but it looks a little less good than the standard vertex colors.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to recreate the error. Also, I came here from the closed progrid bug report forum, so I thought this was the place to go.

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! :) Thanks for posting here, this is the right place yep!

Just to make sure I understand 100% -

1) Everything was fine
    2) You closed the project
    3) You opened up the project- stuff broke

Can you think of anything that might have changed? Did you perhaps open the project in a different version of Unity, vs the version you last saved it in? That would be my first guess. Or did you have a git/dropbox/other change in the background between closing and re-opening the project?

3. MallNinjaMax

MallNinjaMax

Getting this problem as well. I started using ProBuilder from the Asset store (it puts it, and the other parts of ProCore in one folder instead of making a mess of my assets folder) and I was getting tons of errors and warnings. I closed Unity, came back later, and now the PB shader fails to load.

The only problem I can think of is that I can't remember the order I installed the ProCore tools in from the asset store. Not sure if that matters, but I'm going to try some different installation methods. I did also change the Gloss property of the shader. I don't like specularity when I'm prototyping.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Deaden- can you define what versions you are comparing when you say "instead of making a mess of my assets folder"? Thanks!

Also, I highly recommend using Unity 2018.x and above, with the Package Manager version of ProBuilder. The Asset Store version is only receiving critical updates.

5. MallNinjaMax

MallNinjaMax

The Package Manager version, last time I tried using it, puts PB in it's own folder. It was only a mild annoyance. If the PM version works better, I guess I'll switch to that one. I just preferred having all PC tools in one folder. I didn't know the versions were different other than that, thanks.

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Package Manager: that sounds odd, because you actually shouldn't see any folder at all when using this version. I'd give it another try, just in case! :)

7. LMichelle

LMichelle

Hi there! I'm so sorry for the late reaction, I didn't get any e-mails so I thought it never got answered!

You got that completely right: I opened it after it used to be fine, then suddenly this error occurred. I think I indeed switched from 2017.2 to 2018.1.0b13, but I got the problem as I switched to 2018.1: although I am quite sure I already used 2018.1 fine for a couple of times before the error. When I open new projects, it's all fine, so maybe there is a way I can import the scene into a new project? I'm not sure how I do that though...

I am sure I didn't use any git or dropbox!

Also, if it helps: if I save the project using another shader, then open it up and change it back to Standard Vertex Color, it keeps working. If I however save using the Standard Vertex Color after it worked, then close and open it up, then as soon as I click on it it becomes pink again.

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi! No worries of course :)

Are you using the Package Manager version of ProBuilder? If not, can you do that upgrade and see if it helps?

9. mikaeloutside

mikaeloutside

Hello!

I just ran into the exact same problem after upgrading from ProBuilder 2.7 to 2.9.8f3.

The issue seems to be the way LIGHT_ATTENUATION is defined is some cases.

For example (not saying this is the code path that is taken, but it could be) the AutoLight.cginc contains this:

Code (cg):
    1. #ifdef POINT
    2. #   if !defined (UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS)
    3. #       define DECLARE_LIGHT_COORDS(idx)
    4. #       define COMPUTE_LIGHT_COORDS(a)
    5. #       define LIGHT_ATTENUATION(a)
    6. #   else
    7. #       define DECLARE_LIGHT_COORDS(idx) unityShadowCoord3 _LightCoord : TEXCOORD##idx;
    8. #       define COMPUTE_LIGHT_COORDS(a) a._LightCoord = mul(unity_WorldToLight, mul(unity_ObjectToWorld, v.vertex)).xyz;
    9. #       define LIGHT_ATTENUATION(a)    (tex2D(_LightTexture0, dot(a._LightCoord,a._LightCoord).rr).UNITY_ATTEN_CHANNEL * SHADOW_ATTENUATION(a))
    10. #   endif
    11. #endif
    If POINT is defined and UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS is not, the following code:

Code (cg):
    1. float attenuation = LIGHT_ATTENUATION(i);
    will result in
    Code (cg):
    1. float attenuation = ;
    which the error message seems to imply.

Seeing how LIGHT_ATTENUATION is defined, I can't understand how it's supposed to be used.
    Maybe it should be defined to 1.0 or something tangible instead of an empty statement.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm on Unity 2018.1.6

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018