Search Unity

Probuilder - A few simple Questions/Requests

Discussion in 'World Building' started by CortiWins, Jan 6, 2020.

1. CortiWins

CortiWins

Hello folks!

a) Blender has the nice "knifecut"-tool which allows to cut away part of a surface. As far as i understand meshes, that function is far more complicated than for example loopcut. Is that on the roadmap for ProBuilder?

b) I saw the "Unity at GDC - Rapid worldbuilding with ProBuilder" video with Gabriel Williams and he mentioned how beginners can use text mode until they know the functions an then move to icons, which makes total sense. I think it would really help to have little icons next to the text to learn the association between function and icon.

c) Bezier is really cool, and since it's still in experimental these things are probably not final.
    1. Changing the Bezier resets everything dont to the mesh until then, like flipping normals for a nice cave for some nice cave time. Can that change in the future or is it an inevitable part of the way the mesh is generated?
    2. The handling is pretty messy. I had it a few times that the bezier handles where in rotation mode and wouldn't go back to location/position no matter what i did.
    3. New bezier points created by the menu are created very close to the last point so its hard to even select them. Honestly , selecting these points is probably the hardest task about probuilder right now.
    At large, it's pretty good work.Well done!

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi!

a) This is one of our next priorities, yes

b) This is also coming up very soon, will definitely be an improvement, plus new icons/styling to match Unity

c) We're actually doing one better - making a simple, generic spline tool. So, just like creating a cube/sphere/particle system/etc, you'll "GameObject > Spline Shape", then place your points, curves etc. Once the spline is ready, you can show a mesh on it, animate a camera along it, deform terrain (ie rivers and roads), etc. We're working to ensure it has none of the problems you mentioned, it should be great, easy and fun to use spline tool :)

3. CortiWins

CortiWins

c) Thats sounds really cool! Looking forward.