Search Unity

Problems with using VS2019 only

Discussion in 'VR' started by dexters_lab, Feb 18, 2019.

1. dexters_lab

dexters_lab

Hi, (this is a repost of an unanswered question with some changes from the General discussion)
    Has anyone had this problem? I have updated to latest LTS 2017.4.20f2 but it isn't able to build the HoloLens UWP project even though I've set the path to the Visual Studio's devenv.exe in the Edit>Prefrerences>External Tools manually and now in the drop-down it recognizes and says "VS2019 experimental"...
    I realize LTS is an old version of Unity and that VS2019 now comes with Unity 2018, but since LTS is the recommended version of Unity for HoloLens UWP shouldn't there be a patch release of some kind since Holotoolkit isn't compatible with Unity 3D 2018 or above (at least for me it's now showing in any of the menus as it is when using Unity 2017 LTS version)...could there be a way of making the two work nicely, instead of Build menu in Unity just giving me "Could not find any supported Visual Studio installations" (or did I miss to install something with my VS2019 Preview maybe or possibly a way to make Holotoolkit work on Unity 2018+)?
    TIA

P.S.
    I realize that MixedRealityToolkit has a version that's intended for 2018 but that one doesn't do the Spatial Understanding unfortunately...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

For the spatial mapping thing, is it giving you some error in the console of Unity? I have a feeling this is because in 2018 we switched from built in WMR support (17.4) to WMR support being loaded via a package (package manager in 2018.2). Have you tried opening in 2018.2 and going to the package manager and adding the Windows Mixed Reality package? This may resolve your spatial mapping components, I believe it was the collider and renderer it will flag as missing when the package is MIA.