Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Problems with spawned Player Objects

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by erik969, Oct 19, 2023.

1. erik969

erik969

I recently made a change to my game that broke everything.

Before, the whole game would be in one scene, with a simple host and client button. Depending on if the Host pressed the button first, I would change the default player prefab through an approval check to fit the client character and then just run StartClient().

Today I updated it so that you first have to go through a main menu and character selection screen before you enter the game, so I changed the spawn mechanic to an empty gameobject in the gameplay scene that spawns the character as a player prefab using SpawnAsPlayerObject() in OnNetworkSpawn()

For some reason this completely broke my camera and movement script and I can't access the Singleton that's in the scene for some reason.

For example this code doesn't instantiate the cameras anymore, neither locally nor on the network. I checked and the Client does have ownership:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class AssignCamera : NetworkBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     [SerializeField] GameObject _camerasPrefab;
    4.     public GameObject cameras;
    5.     public override void OnNetworkSpawn()
    6.     {
    7.         if (!IsOwner) return;
    8.         cameras = Instantiate(_camerasPrefab, Vector3.zero, Quaternion.identity);
    10.         cameras.GetComponentInChildren<CinemachineVirtualCamera>().Follow = transform;
    11.         cameras.GetComponentInChildren<CinemachineVirtualCamera>().LookAt = transform;
    12.         cameras.transform.GetChild(2).GetComponent<CinemachineVirtualCamera>().Follow = transform;
    13.         cameras.transform.GetChild(2).GetComponent<CinemachineVirtualCamera>().LookAt = transform;
    15.         SpawnCamerasServerRpc();
    16.     }
    19.     [ServerRpc]
    20.     private void SpawnCamerasServerRpc()
    21.     {
    22.         cameras.GetComponent<NetworkObject>().SpawnWithOwnership(OwnerClientId);
    23.     }
    24. }
    My shoddy programming also requires the cameras to be accessible by other scripts in the player through a public variable.

Some help would be appreciated XOXO

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  2. erik969

erik969

For added context, here's my spawn script:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class CharacterSpawner : NetworkBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     [SerializeField] GameObject _overlordPrefab, _minionPrefab, _camerasPrefab;
    5.     [SerializeField] Transform _overlordSpawn;
    6.     [SerializeField] Transform[] _minionSpawns;
    8.     public override void OnNetworkSpawn()
    9.     {
    10.         if (!IsServer) return;
    12.         for (int i = 0; i < ServerManager.Instance.ConnectedIds.Count; i++)
    13.         {
    14.             if (i == 0)
    15.             {
    16.                 GameObject overlord = Instantiate(_overlordPrefab, _overlordSpawn.position, _overlordSpawn.rotation);
    17.                 overlord.GetComponent<NetworkObject>().SpawnAsPlayerObject(ServerManager.Instance.ConnectedIds[i]);
    18.             }
    19.             else
    20.             {
    21.                 GameObject minion = Instantiate(_minionPrefab, _minionSpawns[i].position, _minionSpawns[i].rotation);
    22.                 minion.GetComponent<NetworkObject>().SpawnAsPlayerObject(ServerManager.Instance.ConnectedIds[i]);
    23.             }
    24.         }
    25.     }
    26. }

3. erik969

erik969

I'm confused. I moved the function in CharacterSpawner to a button and now suddenly everything works...

Does anyone have a clue as to why spawning players breaks when done in OnNetworkSpawn but doesn't when executed manually through a button?

EDIT: I've resorted to turning the function into a Coroutine and adding a .5 second delay. I'll mark the thread as resolved.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023