Search Unity

Problems with rig upgrading from Unity Basic to Pro

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Shisno626, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Shisno626

Shisno626

The character for our game has been imported successfully using Basic Unity. Version 4.2.1

We're using the Generic setting under the Rig Tab and the root node is set to the Root Bone.

I got it working and looping a walk cycle in Unity Basic but when I upgraded to Pro, the bones on the IK's, sunk into what looks like the root node. This makes it so all the skinned verts are "collapsing" to the root node.

The weirdest part is that it shows up perfectly fine in the Preview window but in game that's not the case.
    The other weird thing is that when I drop it in the scene, before the animation controller and animation/rig settings are applied, the verts are collapsed but as I change settings, a version of the correct rig may or may not pop up in the Scene Window. However, in game the verts are always collapsed.

Anyone have insight as to why this is happening?

I attached an image below to show the problem
    $99problems.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. kanga

kanga

I had the same thing as you. First try and import your model and animation into the scene instead of drag drop. If that doesnt help try and import your character and animation into a fresh project and scene using the import new asset under the asset menu.

3. Shisno626

Shisno626

Tried Assets>Import New Assets in current scene and new scene.
    Still no luck.

4. Shisno626

Shisno626

We just started a new project and it worked!

So it looks like we'll have to delete the libraries saved in the project we have to get the animation to play properly.

Thanks a lot for taking the time out to help us!

5. Shisno626

Shisno626

So it turns out that it's NOT the project or the libraries.

We just found out by enabling Direct X 11 in Unity Pro, it breaks the rig.
    But enable Direct X 10 and it goes back to normal.
    Now we're stumped, we have no idea why this rig would be behaving differently because of the graphic settings.

Any insight as to why this is happening?

6. Shisno626

Shisno626

Okay, so NOW we found out that the reason Direct X 11 was doing that was because "GPU Skinning" automatically becomes checked when switching to it. So unchecking "GPU Skinning" solved it!

Thanks again, Kanga!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. kanga

kanga

Well done on tracking down the problem! Where the hell is GPU skinning? Says it is in the player settings but I cant find it anywhere, even in the manual.

Cheers

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. kanga

kanga

Duplicate, dang.

9. Shisno626

Shisno626

Edit>Project Settings>Player

In the Inspector tab scroll down to Other Settings and GPU Skinning will be a checkbox in there.

:D

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. kanga

kanga

Ah thanks man, got it!

Cheers