Search Unity

Problems with modo's fbx export...

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by taumel, Aug 17, 2006.

1. taumel

taumel

Hi,

has anyone also problems with fbx import into unity with scenes which contain more than one mesh or is it working for you? If using such a scene i only do get the structure and the transforms in but anything else is missing. It works wonderful as long as i only use one mesh.

I also wonder if it would be nice if you could set somekind of import settings in the IDE in order to spare deleting stuff you don't need like lights and cameras for instance and only import the stuff needed.

Regards,

taumel

2. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I have exported multiple objects in one Scene from Cinema 4D 9.1 into a single fbx file without problems. They all show up correctly in Unity in the same hierarchy as originally build.

The only problem encountered so far was, that when no texture is applied inside the 3D App you loose your UVs inside the fbx.

3. taumel

taumel

Well, it's not working with what modo202 is exporting. If i reimport such a scene into modo again i also only do get the tranforms. I've reported this already but got no answer so far...

When i select one mesh in the scene i do get at least one mesh exported (without the defined material) but then also after assigning the material afterwards parts of the uv are broken (black areas)...

I really would like to have a working pipe from modo to unity!

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Please send me the modo fbx file you want to export.
    I met a modo guy at the design awards, and i'll get in touch with him anyway. Might as well bring that up.

5. taumel

taumel

Yep will do so...

It would be great if you could sort such issues out between the firms directly as it's pretty annoying and time consuming getting such things done from a users position...

By the way another issue beside of getting the fbx exporter (by the way is the support of native lxo an issue?) working correctly would be to add an options dialogue menu like you have it in max for instance to get rid of the junk and finetune your export. I've also reported this but you somehow have a hard standing as most of the people's concerns are more about model/render issues there.

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I am definately going to talk with them about native lxo support.
    It takes some effort on their side too, but i'd definately like to support it.

Regarding cleaning up, we are definately planning on adding a cleanup checkbox and a combine meshes checkbox.

7. taumel

taumel

Great! :O)

8. prometh3us

prometh3us

This is exciting news. I have found Modo to be a valuable addition to our workflow.