Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Problems with merging

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by hollysephiroth, Jul 11, 2019.

1. hollysephiroth

hollysephiroth

Im using unity 2018.3.11 with colaborate 1.2.16

First problem is not really an issue : most of the time build_info is getting merging error that can only be resolved by " use mine " " use their "

What really is a problem is scene merging , if 1 person changes something on the scene and other person changes complytly different object .. scene gets mering error with result same as above .

Thats really big issue for us as we work on 1 big scene

Would appreciate help

Thanks

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

When you see that there's a merge conflict on build_info, have you used the See Differences option in the Collab Toolbar to see what's changed? Are there the changes expected or are you seeing no differences at all and it's just coming up as a false positive?

As for the scene merging, Collaborate was designed to accommodate people making changes to separate objects in the same scene without triggering a merge conflict so I'm curious as to why that isn't working for you. I know you said you'd be willing to share your project with us in a different thread so I'll wait for that support ticket to come in first before I can take a look to see if I can reproduce what you're seeing. All the details you can offer to help me reproduce the issue would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, what other teams who've had merge conflicts have done is specify one version of their scene as the master version and then, when anyone wants to make changes to that scene, they make a copy of that scene, make the changes they want to make, then when they're ready to merge them in copy those changes over into the master scene and publish those changes. That way the rest of the team can pull those changes to master without worrying about anything getting conflicted in their own copy of the scene. I've used that method on past projects when using Git and SVN for source control, back before Collaborate was a thing.

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @hollysephiroth, sorry for the delayed response. I've gone back and forth with your project across Mac and Windows test machines, using both v1.2.16 and v2.0 preview 17, testing difference scenarios.

First off, I did notice your build_info.txt file being modified between changes. Opening it up shows that the build time and the machine it is built on gets updated at regular intervals. This leads me to think that if this info isn't critical for the rest of your team then including this text file as part of your .collabignore file would help remove this constantly updating file from your change list.

I also ran into the same issues you had with merging your scenes with unrelated changes. Investigating the changes showed some confusing things, where the object IDs for various components were shown as modified even if I hadn't touched them, particularly around WindMaker assets. I believe that these assets are being modified behind the scenes each time the scene is compiled, causing minor changes that would conflict with other users that have slightly modified the scene even if they were around unrelated changes. My recommendation is to convert more of your scene objects to prefabs so that those random modifications should be kept to a minimal within those scene files. If that doesn't work then I'd recommend going with the approach I suggested in my last post around keeping one version of your scene as the master version and using copies to simulate branches (until we finish adding branch support on our end, at least).

Lastly, while testing your project using v2.0 preview 17 of Collab I didn't have any luck running into the infinite scanning for changes issue that you reported when testing on Mac, but on Windows 10 pressing rescan never seemed to trigger the actual scan. Did you see the Scanning for Changes message when you press the rescan button or does it stay green and fully synced? Do you notice any errors in your Editor's log or in the Console when you are experiencing these infinite scans?