Search Unity

Problems with Intel HD Graphics causing crashes

Discussion in 'Windows' started by redwyre, Feb 26, 2019.

1. redwyre

redwyre

We are having lots of issues with people that are using Intel HD Graphics, ultimately crashing in (d3d11) CreateDirect3D11SurfaceFromDXGISurface

We are seeing lots of errors like:

d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x1 mode 0 size 3456) [0x887A0005]
    d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x2 mode 0 size 480) [0x887A0005]
    d3d11: failed to create 3D texture id=2262 s=16x16x16 mips=1 d3dfmt=28 [887a0005]
    d3d11: failed to create 3D texture view id=2262 [80070057]

Where 0x887A0005 is "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED"

I'm not sure if this is the driver crashing or some kind of driver swap, but I don't see what I can do, and it looks like Unity isn't resetting the device like it should be.

The github issue thread for this crash in out game is available at https://github.com/StrangeLoopGames/EcoIssues/issues/11125

2. devotid

devotid

I am having the same issue. I just released on Early Access 3 days ago and have been doing AMAZING besides this issue. Its the only bad review I have and I feel it could ruin things for me if I dont figure it out. I am feverishly looking for a fix. Have you found anything out yet?

Ill include a few of our crash files that are similar to ours.

Attached Files:

3. devotid

devotid

Is anyone else seeing this? Im still wondering what the big guys (The Long Dark, FireWatch etc) are doing for this problem. I cant find much except angry customers complaining their DX11 capable computers cant play DX11 games made by Unity. Some help from UT dev would be wonderful here.

So far this is confirmed crashing and will not load on:
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
    Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
    Intel(R) UHD Graphics 500
    Intel(R) UHD Graphics 600
    AMD Radeon(TM) HD 8610G (a little different but has the CreateDirect3D11SurfaceFromDXGISurface crash)

Thanks.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Does it crash on startup or at some point during gameplay?

5. devotid

devotid

Loading a scene.

6. devotid

devotid

All the reported crashings are happening on DX11 Capable units. I dont know what to do.

I tried unclicking the auto API for windows and made sure that DX11 is above the DX9 and it is.

I had them try in an lower res. Nope.
    I had them try full screen, Windowed. Same thing.
    Can you tell anything by the output log from above at all?

I even tried to have them - force-d3d9 and nothing.

Thanks so much for helping out.
    Kevin

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED usually means the graphics driver crashed, however, I don't really know why. There have been similar reports in the past but we have never actually been able to reproduce it ourselves. Do you know what graphics driver they're running?

8. devotid

devotid

From one of them:

Initialize engine version: 5.6.3f1 (d3101c3b8468)
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    Direct3D:
    Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
    Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (ID=0x1912)
    Vendor: Intel
    VRAM: 2111 MB
    Driver: 23.20.16.4973

and another:

Direct3D:
    Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
    Renderer: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 600 (ID=0x3185)
    Vendor: Intel
    VRAM: 1107 MB
    Driver: 23.20.16.4927

9. Juixa

Juixa

Unity Technologies

Does this scene have a video player in it?

devotid likes this.
  10. devotid

devotid

Not now but it did and it was at this exact point. This could be it. I am going to check to see if the video encoder is doing it. I will remove it from the list of shaders and let you know.

11. devotid

devotid

It ended up being the video shader that was in the Preloaded shader list. I removed the video and the shader and now the HD Intel cards are getting past it.

Thank you so much for your time and help with the issue. It means a lot.

Kevin

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Could we get a bug report with that shader?

13. devotid

devotid

Well my game is still crashing for half of the people with the HD Integrated GPU's. This is killing me to make a game for years of my life and then it doesn't work when I try and do all the things right. UGH. I even withheld releasing for Mac and Linux because I knew little problems like this would arise. The only bad reviews I have received is because of this bug. Ok now that I am done whining.

I have never reproduced it but I will try to put together a sample project as my game project is 40+ gigs. I dont even know what shader I deleted tbh. It just said Video Player. I only used one video and it was removed a long time ago and I just saw it in the preloaded shaders last week. I dont even remember as it was about a year ago when I was testing the video idea. I will try to find how it got there.

- Would more crash and error logs help?
    - Would having them run the game with -opengl help at all?

- What would you do first if you saw these crash logs? If your users had this problem what would you do?

If there is someone reading this and has a solution... I will pay cash for advice on how to fix this. I have no idea what to do next and thats the scariest part.

I simply do not know enough about this GPU stuff to be of much help and it is very frustrating. This is the reason that I use Unity and I never add any weird shaders, plugins and now only release simple games for Windows an no other platforms. But even that seems like a problem nowadays. I cant even get a simple windows standlalone to work on a all my users pc's

Is this a recognised problem by Unity? Can I at least send my users to a press release or a known issues page? Anything?

14. devotid

devotid

Can anyone even tell what is crashing the games by looking at the crash logs? Is there any useful info in them at all?

15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The part that makes this all very complicated is the fact that it's graphics card drivers crashing (rather than Unity itself). Crash logs aren't helping.because the driver crash is happening earlier and the crash logs just tell us the aftermath. That's also why it's only happening on very specific hardware.

Yes, we've been chasing this for quite a while. So far it eluded us. All the reports we've got so far were on specific projects with specific hardware and we weren't able to get our hands on them. You can definitely tell them that we're investigating this and want to resolve it. You can also tell them that it's Unity's fault, not yours.

16. devotid

devotid

Well Im willing to do just about anything for my customers that are sitting at the door waiting to play...

Could I send a 45 gig project to you under NDA to find the bug? haha. Ill do it. Let me know.

Kevin

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

All projects that are attached to bug reports are automatically treated as confidential. They send you a unique link that can be used to access the bug information and you alone can look at it (or anyone you share the link with). If you do send us a project to the bug report, please put a link to this thread in it.

18. devotid

devotid

Alright. Thank you. I will do my best to get something together asap. I might try to make a couple smaller builds and see if they are still crashing the users comps and then I can send a little precise smaller example of the crash.

Thanks for helping and ill report back here when I have done so.

Kevin

19. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

20. redwyre

redwyre

I was told (through my bug report) that this is fixed in 2018.3, are you saying there are still issues @Tautvydas-Zilys?

21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I don't know, which bug report # was that? Are you saying you're still seeing issues?

22. redwyre

redwyre

It's case #1131832, we haven't rolled out a new build from 2018.3 yet.

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that bug report. Let me follow up with the QA person who has responded to you.

24. redwyre

redwyre

I also opened #1120919 under my personal account, but never got a reply

25. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Apparently we believe that the crash is fixed as we fixed a very similar bug report to yours but we cannot be certain as we don't have your project in the first place (your bug report did not include one). I asked QA to follow up with you so that we can be absolutely sure this is resolved.

26. redwyre

redwyre

I haven't been contacted yet, I am able to provide whatever is necessary to make sure this is fixed.

devotid likes this.
  27. Soner-Sen

Soner-Sen

Unity Technologies

hi. would you mind sharing a sample project for the bug #1131832. if you have already upgraded to project to 2018.3 it would be great to have that, otherwise older version would do just fine.

28. rskorski-wizards

rskorski-wizards

@Tautvydas-Zilys or @Soner-Sen, can you please let us know what bug you were referencing here, and which version of Unity it's fixed in?

29. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

rskorski-wizards likes this.
  30. RageSquid_Lex

RageSquid_Lex

I ended up on this thread when googling for UHD Graphics crashes. Our game has the exact same problem. We're experiencing that users are able to launch the game normally the very first time after purchasing/downloading and every subsequent boot crashes the game when the splash screen is at 100% after loading the first game scene.
    We're on Unity 2017.4 and unable to upgrade due to plugins and console versions. Is there anything we can do on our side to make this go away?

31. sddemar

sddemar

The work around you suggest (e.g. change Project Settings>Quality>Texture Quality to Full Res) may only be working in 2020 builds. This doesn't work in 2018.4.21f1 for me on an MSI GS65 laptop with Intel and Nvidia hardware. Still getting "Assertion failed on expression: 'SUCCEEDED(hr)'" errors when editor is loading or changing scenes. Will even crash if Unity Editor is just sitting there with no user interaction (maybe some background processing in Unity ??)

32. jimmywoodsare679

jimmywoodsare679

The Intel UHD Graphics are not meant for gaming thats why I would advise you to get a dedicated graphics card for your pc. They are meant for watching videos and browsing the web. This graphics card even struggles in Minecraft
    My CPU hovers around 3% while the gpu is always at 100% in Minecraft. I have the Intel UHD Graphic 630.

33. rainboww

rainboww

Please point me to the statement where intel states "The Intel UHD Graphics are not meant for gaming" (and perhaps where they state: so we made the card crashing with certain unity3d operations)
    If they did not its a very BOLD statement, who decides about if they are meant for gaming?
    As i see it intel did put extra effort into making them quicker they did advertise the iris as being 30% quicker as the vega as example and my impression certainly is to get it into the gaming market, there are limited uses for powerful graphics outside of gaming.

I also thing 100% gpu in Minecraft might be just the result of design decision, there are older games that are designed to run always at maximum fps and run on 100% cpu too.

Besides that I have played games with not quite gaming ready pcs quite often. Which gets me to the topic:

This issue happens with Battletech (latest version) on the iris 650. It runs very smooth on low settings otherwise not having issues with stuttering or other problems that indicate a too weak graphics card.

I did read however that the intel drivers for the integrated graphics are making often problems and perhaps are not the best drivers overall.

Those errors give me: d3d11: failed to create buffer

Perhaps you can look a bit more deeply into it or find a way for intel to fix the drivers.

34. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

If you have a reliable repro, please file bug reports. We do investigate these issues but it's very hard/impossible to act upon them from just the forum post.

35. rainboww

rainboww

Nope the error is hard to reproduce.

36. peppi911

peppi911

I have a game which crashes with my
    Intel® UHD Graphics 620
    always at the same situation. Its the new Paw patrol in the city. After the very first block of stones are removed usually in the Youtube video it shows some kind of long confetti coming from the top. This is where the game crashes reproducable always.
    We did not have problems with the 1+2nd game, which ran on a lower resolution. This one has a much higher 3D quailty and seems to crash the card. My childs are quite disappointed as we can not play it.

Its exactly on minute 5:04. I think the rendering of the confetti might cause it. Thats where it crashes on my end. Here how it should be:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  37. peppi911

peppi911

Is no one here who may be able to check it with this information or what can i provide?

38. jjejj87

jjejj87

My clients on a already shipped game on Steam are crashing in 2021.3. They all have Intel integrated.

Is there an update on this issue? This is pretty urgent.

39. francis_duranceau_intel

francis_duranceau_intel

40. eastpaladin

eastpaladin

Hi,

I thought I share and document some of my experience regarding hd graphics 4600 and Unity crashes.

Recently I purchased an early access PC rpg game called "Archmage Rises" published by archmagerises.com (by Thomas Henshell).

That game uses Unity (3d) and will cause crashes every time I do certain things in the game. Particularly, whenever I enter a dungeon, the program will lag and crash.

If this old issue has not been resolve yet, I recommend someone in Unity to contact Mr. Henshell as they are very involved and dedicated to this game, and would also like to resolve the crashing issue.

Let me know if anyone should want further information or testing about this.

Jim

I'm including some basic info here, as well as a short screen video to demonstrate how the program crashes.

1. My Windows 10 System Info:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ie0WwCTitH_6PaJ0kuws2iFR_cdJKhfu/view?usp=sharing

2. My Intel Graphics 4600 info:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ISZXs6Rhq7_P79dNS3vMqquzi2BtskrI/view?usp=sharing

3. My Intel Graphic Control Panel:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BdVD0bQsPAYB6ks5BcyDrmmZAxMfKhmk/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/12bClRogfiKLCBfwejyG0qrA1Ua7AJ7H4/view?usp=sharing

4. My Screen Video showing how Unity crashes:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/10NlhxbQGyxzb5lhB-gLLTzssBNo39hdU/view?usp=sharing

41. Dawid_Matuszewski

Dawid_Matuszewski

So is there any update with this?
    We have game on steam and we got few bug reports with game crash. Every single bug reporters has this GPU:

Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

Game crashes only happens on this GPU, even worse integrated GPU doesn't cause crashes. This is kinda weird. Is something wrong with this GPU and unity games?