Search Unity

Question Problems with HDRP, MSAA and transparency

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Qleenie, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Qleenie

Qleenie

Hi,

I have some trouble in getting good looking hair in HDRP; The issue is as soon as I turn MSAA on, I get weird shadow artifacts all over on transparent materials (independent of shader used), seems the depth is not displayed correctly; also, both Alpha Prepass Threshold and Postpass don't work anymore. If I switch off MSAA, prepass works correctly (postpass still does not do anything). Not sure what I am doing wrong, and I have not found an alternative yet to MSAA which works acceptable in VR. Any help would be much appreciated!

MSAA-on.png MSAA-off.png

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, which version of Unity binary and HDRP are you using? Thanks

3. Qleenie

Qleenie

Hi, I am on 2019.4.9f1 LTS and HDRP 7.4.3.
    Thanks for looking into this,

4. Qleenie

Qleenie

@SebLagarde Any insights on this ? After more experimenting, it seems that "just" alpha prepass is not working with MSAA enabled; If I switch it off, all good. Seems like a bug to me?

5. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, hmm... could be a bug, but I lack information. Would you be able to share the project, or just the hair mesh so we can reproduce it. thanks

6. Qleenie

Qleenie

It's happening with every (hair) mesh, and with every shader which supports alpha prepass (lit.shader or Hair shader master node). I cannot share the assets, as they are licensed ones.
    But should be simple to reproduce: basically, when MSAA switched on, the alpha prepass slider does nothing.

7. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Alright. I will ask our QA to reproduce the issue.

8. Tomas-Kiniulis

Tomas-Kiniulis

Unity Technologies

Hey @Qleenie, both Alpha Prepass Threshold and Postpass should work correctly testing on HDRP version 10.3.1 with MSAA enabled. However, I was unable to reproduce the shadow artifacts you show in your picture. Do you still encounter this in latest 2020.2?

9. Qleenie

Qleenie

Hey, I am on 2019 LTS + HDRP 7.5.3, and also switched to deferred rendering because of issues and performance. Will switch to 2020 only when 2020 LTS will be available, as migration will be a bit of effort with changes to VR / SteamVR.