Search Unity

Problems with Animating a Prefab

Discussion in 'Animation' started by animatorkpal, Jan 26, 2017.

1. animatorkpal

animatorkpal

I did an animation of pieces within a prefab that has various mesh objects grouped under game objects, the Animator being owned by the top level game object. I did this so I can animate all the pieces but only need one animator/animation controller. I didn't realize that someone else on my team had this prefab checked out in perforce and had to revert it, but the animator controller I created and the animation itself still exist.

I see that I can create an animator component and assign the created controller back to the top level game object in the prefab and the animation will play (phew) and I can manipulate keys in the animation window. Unfortunately when I try to click on the pieces in the scene hierarchy to move them in space or create a new animation it will no longer let me animate them and instead tell me "to begin animating ObjectName create an animation clip".

Is there any way to get these pieces back to being associated with the pre-existing animations and animator controller? At this point I feel like I need to just start the animation over again even though it still works which is incredibly frustrating.

2. animatorkpal

animatorkpal

Nevermind...it magically works now after 45 minutes of fighting with it.

3. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Depending on the version you have, there used to be bugs where the Animation Window didn't refresh unless you changed the selection and came back to the object.

I suspect that's what happened here

unityunity