Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems running a standalone mac build (it will not do anything)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by fransh, Oct 7, 2013.

1. fransh

fransh

Hey guys,

My problem is that when i build a standalone mac build, and try to run this on any Mac i can find it simply shows no activity at all. Nothing will start.

I am building from a Windows 8 machine, and the standalone Windows build works just fine. I searched the forums/answers and only a couple of "answers" came up. Yet, i highly doubt that setting the permission levels manually afterwards is something that is normal. If that was so, i expected a lot more people with my problem and there are only a relative small amount of people that also run into this.

I get 0 errors, and like i said the Windows build works just fine, and the web build also works fine on both platforms. Yet the standalone build for Mac just refuses to do anything.

Is the permission setting really the answer here, and did just about everyone knew about this already? Or should that indeed not be a problem and am i missing something else?

The reason i am not happy with the permission answer, is that i want to be able to give my product to people and without problems should they be able to run it. If they need to set some settings before they can play... I think some will not even be able to, and others may find it looks sloppy.

What can i do to fix this?

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Don't know if permissions is your problem, but assume that it is. Make the build, then try and run it on your test Mac. Fix the permissions and see if the game runs. If it does, then ship this "fixed" version to your customers. (Typically you'd make an installer for the Mac users, and this installer would make the changes on the end client machine.)

3. fransh

fransh

I found a "fix".

The moment i send it to the mac so it could be tested, the .app was compressed using RAR and up/down loaded to the mac. Result was a .app that did nothing when ran. Even setting a chmod to 777 or 755 would not make a difference. Than, compressed a new.app with the Windows compression (buildin zip), unpacked it on the mac and... It worked.

Did the same with the older builds that i used RAR on to send over, and guess what... All of them worked. Nothing changed in the builds, the only thing that changed was not compressing it with RAR, or make it auto compress by using just about any email client you can think of. Just the build in Windows compression seems to be able to compress it while actually keeping the .app intact. All other options i have tried that including any form of compression, resulted in a .app that failed to do anything.

I am happy it is working now, and i found a method to get this done. And perhaps this can help someone else to.
    Yet, i do not understand how this problem can happen, does anyone have a idea why this could be?