Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Problems reimporting mesh after modification to skeletal structure in blender

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bmacdonald1986, Sep 6, 2020.

1. bmacdonald1986

bmacdonald1986

I have a humanoid rigged character that is created in blender. I can import this rig fine into Unity. When I add a bone in the heirachy in blender and re-import the rig into unity, my meshes disappear completely out of any prefab that uses that rig.

This is causing major problems with prefabs that I have been working on. I have to rebuild the rig from scratch using a new mesh import. It doesn't allow for revisions to the original skeletal mesh and means I have to perfect my rig in blender before moving onto unity.

Am I correct with this assumption or am I doing something wrong during this re-importing process?

here is the process broken down:

1. Import skeletal rig from blender O.K.
    2. Assign humanoid rig - map bones O.K.
    3. Create prefab using imported skeletal rig O.K.
    4. Revise bone heirarchy in blender (ie. add a bone to the face for animating lips)
    5. Auto-reimport mesh into unity when it notices a change to the fbx
    6. Prefab loses all mesh visibility because new bone was added
    This is very frustrating and has caused our team to have to rebuild several character prefabs.

What I have read around online is that Unity associates mesh renderer vertices with serialized bone indices. When the bone hierarchy changes (ie on import), the serialized bone indices update and the mesh renderer can no longer find those serialized bones and they stop rendering. If this is true, and Unity does not re-map these bones and mesh renderers to a new serialized bone map then this is a serious bug and needs to be resolved. If anyone from Unity can confirm this it would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020