Search Unity

Problems but no help or advice...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Dai-22, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Dai-22

Dai-22

I can't get the visual studio connection to unity docs (disconnected homegroup & don't know how to re-connect).

Also, cannot get updated asset store packs because of the same issue. will probably have to quit unity because of this issue & just do C#, for what I don't know...

can't find a free useable character in 3d to walk around and test my environment, so im not bothering to build. Can't get the ICONS to show in pro builder and the list shows, because of same issue etc. This is getting irritating.

Anyone have an answer???

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That's silly. You don't need Visual Studio to use Unity. I don't use VS. I use (and love) Script Inspector 3. You can also use MonoDevelop. You can also use your favorite text editor (if you're on a Mac, I recommend BBEdit). Source files are just text files, and Google plus a web browser makes a fine way of reading the docs.

I do hope you get your VS problems sorted out, if that's what you like to use. But just because you're having VS trouble is no reason to give up on Unity.

What's wrong with Ethan, the character included in the standard assets? Or Unity-chan? Or any of the literally hundreds of Mecanim-rigged, ready-to-use characters in the Asset Store, many of them free? (I know, you said you had some trouble with the asset store, but you also said that was because of your VS issues, which I don't understand... the asset store has nothing to do with the code editor.)

I don't know what you're talking about. But I agree with the last part. ;)

Lots of people have answers. But first you must ask a good question.

Schneider21 likes this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

There are a million reasons to not get into game development. It can be overwhelming to learn. It's often frustrating. It's a huge time-sink. It can get expensive, depending on your skill set and what you want to do. It can be the source of a lot of stress and negativity in your life.

Here's something I challenge you to ask yourself, though: Do you want to make games? You're probably thinking the answer is 'yes', but how badly do you want it? How much do you care, in the long run? And how much are you willing to give in order to get there?

If you decide it's something that's important enough to you, start pouring in that effort. Don't let something as minor as issues with a third-party tool allow you to even consider giving up. Find out what the issue is and how to resolve it, or how to circumvent it. Read, research, and just learn as much as you can. Experiment. Break things. Try diving into something you feel totally clueless about and see if you can figure any of it out. Do something -- anything -- every day that gets you closer to your goal.

If all that just sounds like such a bother and not worth the effort, that's fine, too. It's still useful information to have learned, and your time is now freed up to pursue another dream.

But if you're looking for an easy path to realize your game development dream, I'm sorry to tell you that you won't find it. And if you're looking for some motivation to keep going, I can only offer you that the most reliable source for that has to come from within you.

Good luck. I hope you get it all figured out.

CyberInteractiveLLC and dslyecix like this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

My first thought would be to reinstall it. Any steps it takes to set up dependencies (like attaching to Visual Studio) should be repeated when you install it again. Anything more complex will need a screenshot (copy/paste if it's pure text) of the exact error you're receiving for more accurate assistance.

By the way here are the doc entries for working with Visual Studio. One of the steps covered by them might assist if reinstalling Unity fails to correct your problem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...ng-started-with-visual-studio-tools-for-unity
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/cross-platform/using-visual-studio-tools-for-unity

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Schneider21 likes this.
  5. Dai-22

Dai-22

re-installed but it just gave the same settings. The error is that I cannot find the unity homegroup to get the docs etc, connected, or updates etc.

6. Dai-22

Dai-22

I know what the issue is, i just can't resolve it. Unity has no information as far as I can tell on re-connecting to the auto-homegroup connection that says home or public network. The prompt hasn't turned up again, even after re-installation. And its not just a VS issue as the other person mentioned. No packages update, so tutorials and items just dont work. and about making games, I would use Unreal but C++ it too brainy for me and I don't think C# is an option. But they dont give any assets and the tutorials are quite poor. Probably because people are too busy building assets for it.

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Can you post a screenshot? I have never heard of such a thing. I don't know what "unity homegroup" means.

It kind of sounds like you're not connected to the internet. Are you sure your network settings on that machine are correct? Are you able to log in to your Unity account with a web browser on that machine?

8. Schneider21

Schneider21

I'm not really sure what it is you're saying here. Is this some kind of Windows firewall thing? And if so, what has that got to do with Unity?

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Microsoft HomeGroup is a way of simplifying sharing files and printers between devices.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17145/windows-homegroup-from-start-to-finish
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/952...create-a-homegroup-join-a-new-computer-to-it/

That being said this has nothing to do with HomeGroup.

That's because this isn't a problem with Unity. This is entirely Windows. Did you see a dialog like this?

firewall.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    JoeStrout likes this.
  10. Dai-22

Dai-22

yes, homegroup showed an icon when offline on computer start up but dissapeared when online. Only started after installing unity, but i didn't know it was for unity as I have put a few things on like gimp etc so deleted any invisible homegroup sharing, as none were visible. But then unity messed up. Don't know where or how to re-connect this option etc?

11. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Again, this is not a Unity question. And "Unity messed up" is not anywhere near enough information for anyone to have a chance of helping you.

I'm beginning to think you don't actually want help. If you did, you would post a specific enough question for someone to answer.

12. Schneider21

Schneider21

@Dai-22 You're asking questions but not listening to the responses.

The popup you saw that you erroneously clicked through without handling properly has nothing to do with Unity. It's your Windows firewall. Just open up your firewall settings and allow Unity through that. This is not a Unity issue. It's a Windows thing.

You mention this same problem in this thread. And to be totally honest with you, your tone there makes me really disinclined to offer you any further assistance. You seem to be more interested in complaining about things not working than working to resolve it, or actually listening to the feedback you're getting from your help requests.

Good luck. I do hope you get your problems sorted out. And then I hope you have a bit more positive attitude if you decide to come back and ask for actual Unity-related assistance, too.

JoeStrout likes this.
  13. Dai-22

Dai-22

Unity is active in the firewall.

14. Schneider21

Schneider21

Okay. So what's your problem now, then?

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity being present in the firewall settings doesn't necessarily mean it's being allowed to connect. When you open the entries in the firewall they need to look something like this. Alternatively you can remove all of the Unity entries and the dialog will reappear.

Screenshot 2018-01-25 14.41.10.png

Select the appropriate profile you wish to use. Mine are private only because I never have a public network for my PC.

Screenshot 2018-01-25 14.42.03.png

Schneider21 likes this.
  16. Dai-22

Dai-22

all done, no change, nevermind, forget it.

17. Dai-22

Dai-22

I dont know why none of you can remember the issue, it isn't difficult to understand. The pdf files for manual do not open, the update option does not connect, the Visual studio shortcut to docs descriptions does not work, the is only happened. But seeming as it is not understood by some people saying I dont want help or people forget the issue thinking problems have been partially resolved and moved onto "whats my problem now?", obviously means i'm giving up and putting up with it.

18. Schneider21

Schneider21

Because none of us have had this issue. And yet you still had three different people try to help you figure it out. And instead of a simple 'thanks', all you do is complain that no one's figured it out for you.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Because none of us encountered the problem and what little information you're providing has nothing to do with it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  20. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Here's a tip: saying what does not happen is not helpful. "The pdf files for the manual do not open" — what does this mean? Do you get an error message? If so, what? How exactly are you trying to open them? Have you tried a different way? Are you even able to open them? For that matter, what PDF files are you talking about (my copy of Unity doesn't come with any, nor have I ever wanted any; the documentation is all here). On what sort of computer (by now we know it's Windows, though you never bothered to say so) are you trying this?

Suppose I called a mechanic and said "You've got to help me, my car won't go." And that's it; I provided no further details. And then started complaining all over town that the mechanic didn't help me make my car go. Is it really the mechanic's fault?

Schneider21 and Ryiah like this.
  21. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

When you are so frustrated that all you can think to do is blame other people, it's time to take a break.

Take a day off, and I can almost guarantee that some solutions will just pop into your head, almost like magic, but more importantly when you return you'll have a better attitude and perspective to start tackling the issues you have one at a time until everything is right and straight -- then you'll find lots of new issues to fix.

That's the way it goes. It you can't get through this initial stage where everything seems to be working against you, that is ok. But it means you aren't up to being a game developer. Are you okay with admitting that to yourself?

Complaining about other peoples shortcomings won't do any good and will only make solving your problems more difficult as it puts your mind in the wrong space.

Remember, take breaks when you are frustrated, but never quit!