Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems Blending Animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by MrBigly, Jul 14, 2018.

1. MrBigly

MrBigly

What I want to do is blend two animations of the arms. The first animation is moving the arms left to right. The second is moving the arms up to down. So I have tried two different approaches to blend the horizontal animations with the vertical animations.

First, I had the horizontal animation as the base layer and the vertical as an additive layer. But I found (and confirmed in what I read) that the additive layer wasn't simply adding on top of the base layer. Instead their contributions were combined and then normalized. This means that each could only contribute 50% of their animations' rotations. When Unity says "additive" I would expect the layer to simply "ADD" to what was there already, not "share" in the final result.

Second, I used a Direct blend type tree, and found I had the option to turn on or off the normalization of the blending. When normalization was turned on, I had the same results as above. But when I turned it off, I had the same results as above until each motion contributed at 50%; then instead of continuing on to what I would have expected were full 100% rotations, I saw the size of the arms grow (scaling was impacted).

Is there no way to SIMPLY apply one animation on top of another?

I could create additional bones and apply each animation separately to specific sets of bones, but I am looking for a solution that is more "correct" from within Unity. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018