Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems Blending Animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by MrBigly, Jul 14, 2018.

1. MrBigly

MrBigly

What I want to do is blend two animations of the arms. The first animation is moving the arms left to right. The second is moving the arms up to down. So I have tried two different approaches to blend the horizontal animations with the vertical animations.

First, I had the horizontal animation as the base layer and the vertical as an additive layer. But I found (and confirmed in what I read) that the additive layer wasn't simply adding on top of the base layer. Instead their contributions were combined and then normalized. This means that each could only contribute 50% of their animations' rotations. When Unity says "additive" I would expect the layer to simply "ADD" to what was there already, not "share" in the final result.

Second, I used a Direct blend type tree, and found I had the option to turn on or off the normalization of the blending. When normalization was turned on, I had the same results as above. But when I turned it off, I had the same results as above until each motion contributed at 50%; then instead of continuing on to what I would have expected were full 100% rotations, I saw the size of the arms grow (scaling was impacted).

Is there no way to SIMPLY apply one animation on top of another?

I could create additional bones and apply each animation separately to specific sets of bones, but I am looking for a solution that is more "correct" from within Unity. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018