Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with texture painting Terrain/Mesh

Discussion in 'World Building' started by safaekercin, Sep 27, 2022.

1. safaekercin

safaekercin

Hi people

Generally i rather solve my problems by myself instead of asking people but i am stuck here and don't know what to do about it.

My question is as a small group we are trying to develop a game. As the game artist i am responsible from the models and textures of it. I am using Blender for models and i sculpted a relatively low poly map with proper UV's. Now i am trying to paint it with textures through Unity Terrain texturing plugins.

I prefer to use this method because of the size of the map. If i create the whole texture on different software such as Blender or Substance Painter, whole map getting a unique texture which requires it to be very high resolution or low quality texture.

So i amazed by the logic that unity paints it. It is simply using small textures but repeating them by users will and blends them when necessary to create a unique looking whole with very low performance requirements.

The problem starts here. To be able to paint it at will, i have to convert my fbx to terrain through terrain tools. It all good until we realize that leaving the map as "terrain" requires incredible amount of processor power which is not suitable for mobile platforms. In that case I tried to convert the terrain back the fbx without losing the unity terrain painting technique. I only managed to do that by using a Plug-in named Polaris. But using Polaris for that messes up the who mesh it self to be restructured according to Polaris mesh generating system.

In the end if i follow this workflow, i end up losing too much time and too much detail that i originally planned for. And what i needed from the beginning was too simple: I just needed to be able to paint the texture at my will on the fbx itself without converting it to a terrain like most texture painting softwares do.

I am hoping that someone in this community encountered that problem and overcomed it.

Any help is appreciated.