Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Problem with TextMesh Pro (Script) being empty in Inspector

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Deano42, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Deano42

Deano42

I am trying to use TextMesh Pro with Unity 2017.2.0b11 and I am running into an odd problem. According to the Zolran tutorials, when I create a text as either a 3D object or a UI object I should have one of two components appear in the Inspector. Well, I get the "Sample text", and my TextMesh Pro Script component appears, but it is completely empty. I have tried to reimport the TextMesh Pro by completely deleting it first, but it hasn't helped. Has anybody else had this happen and were you able to fix it? Does anybody have any ideas? I sincerely appreciate any help on this matter. Thank you in advance.

Here's what my Inspector shows:
    TMP Problem.png

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

You appear to have some errors in the debug console which might be causing this. Also make sure you are using the correct version of TextMesh Pro for the version of Unity you are using. For instance, when using Unity 2017.2, the name of the TextMesh Pro DLL found in the "TextMesh Pro/Plugins/Runtime DLL/" should be "TextMeshPro-1.0.55.2017.2.0b12".

Let me know what the name of that dll is? If it is something different, you need to upgrade to the appropriate version of TextMesh Pro. Be sure to backup your project and read the Release / Upgrade notes.

3. Deano42

Deano42

Yeah, I saw the version number on the DLL and it looked right. I just double checked it and it is : TextMeshPro-1.0.55.2017.2.0b12.

I have received a User Guide with my TMP package, but I do not see any Release/Upgrade notes. However, I am not upgrading, this is the first time I have tried to import/use TMP. I have no prior versions.

How would we address errors in the debug console?

Thanks.

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

What are the errors? I could not read them when looking at your image.

With regards to the Release Notes, these are linked on the Asset Store page. This link always points to the Release Notes on the TextMesh Pro user forum which are available here.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  5. Deano42

Deano42

Yikes!!! Okay, 347 errors! Most of them are duplicate calls. There seem to be only 5 errors that are called over and over again. As soon as I create the 3D text object, the errors are:

GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

The targets array should not be used inside OnSceneGUI or OnPreviewGUI. Use the single target property instead.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint
    Aborting

ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint
    Aborting

--- The next one is a really long one because it is referencing 12 different lines of code ---

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMP_EditorPanel.OnSceneGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2429)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1759)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1591)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:285)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:278)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:245)

Hopefully this won't be as complicated for you as it seems to me. Thank you again for your efforts.

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Most of those errors are not related to TextMesh Pro. However having errors in a project would affect script compilation and as such when importing any asset like TextMesh Pro would likely result in issue as you are experiencing.

My suggestion would be for you to address those first 4 errors which once addressed should resolve the script compilation issues and allow TextMesh Pro to work. It is also possible that having errors in the project can affect the import process so you could also delete the whole "TextMesh Pro" folder. Fix those remaining errors and then once all is good re-import TextMesh Pro.

7. Deano42

Deano42

Okay, so as soon as I deleted the Sample Text, I cleared out the console, ran my project, and there are no errors in the debug console. Then I created a 3D object TextMesh text and bang - 20 errors (the ones I showed you).

Here they are:

TMP Problem 2.png

8. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

First, let's make sure everything is working as it should when importing TextMesh Pro. Please create a new Unity project and import TextMesh Pro in this new project. Let's see if that works as expected.

9. Deano42

Deano42

Sorry for the delay ... I had a hard time getting 2017 b to start a new project. I had to shut everything down for a while, but I finally coaxed it into opening a new one I called "Test". So I tried to create a new 3D Object, and TextMesh was not a menu option ... which is how it should be, but I checked to make sure it didn't linger. Then I did a fresh import straight from the Asset Store.

Once that finished, there were 689 errors, I never even got to try to create a TextMesh. These errors were all of the same types:

This first one had several different TMP_ types that it couldn't load, such as Sprite Asset, Text, Color Gradient, etc. and then later these became C# class calls like SubmitEvent, SelectionEvent, OnValidateInput, and so on.
    --------
    TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'TMPro.TMP_FontAsset' from assembly 'TextMeshPro-1.0.55.2017.2.0b12, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    -------

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'UnityEngine.CoreModule, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributesBase (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoCustomAttrs.cs:108)
    System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributes (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoCustomAttrs.cs:151)
    System.MonoType.GetCustomAttributes (System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoType.cs:595)
    UnityEngine.AttributeHelperEngine.GetCustomAttributeOfType[DefaultExecutionOrder] (System.Type klass) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/AttributeHelperEngine.cs:163)
    UnityEngine.AttributeHelperEngine.GetDefaultExecutionOrderFor (System.Type klass) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/AttributeHelperEngine.cs:148)

--------

TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'UnityEditor.Graphs.AnimationBlendTree.Node' from assembly 'UnityEditor.Graphs, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

-------

TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'UnityEditor.Graphs.Node' from assembly 'UnityEditor.Graphs, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

-------

I'm beginning to suspect that I have a much bigger problem here. <sigh>

10. Deano42

Deano42

Oh, and also ... TextMesh Pro still does not show up as an option when creating a 3D Object or a UI Object. So, yeah, the problem is even worse than before. Nothing ever works smoothly for me the first time. :rolleyes:

11. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There is something definitely wrong here.

You should be able to create an new empty project without any issues. Make sure you do not import any asset in this new empty project.

Once you have created a new project, check your Project Settings - Editor - Asset Serialization mode to make sure you are using Force Text.

At this stage, the only text related thing that should show up in the Create - 3D Object menu is the 3D Text object. Make sure this works correctly.

If everything works as expected up until this point, import the latest release of TMP from that Asset Store. If you are using Unity 2017.2, make sure the name of the TextMesh Pro DLL located in the "TextMesh Pro/Plugins/Runtime DLL/..." is TextMeshPro-1.0.55.2017.2.0b12.

When the import window is open, make sure you do not un-select any files.

After the import check if you have any errors in the console. You should not have any.

P.S. If you still have issue, please create a video showing the entire process of when you create the new project, import the asset, etc. Perhaps this will make it easier to identify where / what is causing the behavior you are experiencing.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  12. Deano42

Deano42

Okay, my Project Settings - Editor - Asset Serialization field has a 2 in it. It is a data entry field, not a drop down menu.

Hello World popped up just fine, and the only error I have right now (even before the text) is:

-------
    Assets/TextMesh Pro/Examples/Scripts/TMP_DigitValidator.cs(12,39): error CS0012: The type `UnityEngine.ScriptableObject' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. Consider adding a reference to assembly `UnityEngine.CoreModule, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
    -------

Also, I cannot get this error to clear the console.

I am beginning the import now.....

13. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

You also appear to be running the inspector in Debug mode. Switch to Normal mode by Right Click on the Inspector tab.

Did you create a new project? If you did, it would not contain TextMesh Pro and as such, you would not be getting any errors related to TextMesh Pro. The fact that you are getting an error in a new project points to other issues.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  14. Deano42

Deano42

Good point ... with TMP not installed there shouldn't be an error pointing to a TMP directory ....

Yet this IS a fresh, new project and it has TMP squarely in the assets. This is really strange!

15. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you create a video showing the entire process from creating the new empty project and on? Like I said, that might enable me to see what might be causing this behavior.

16. Deano42

Deano42

Oh, and btw... here is what I get when I follow your roadmap to editor settings:

EditorSettings.png

17. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Switch your Inspector to Normal mode instead of Debug mode.

18. Deano42

Deano42

Oh no ... what a rookie mistake. Sorry.

19. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

We still need to figure out why creating a new empty project still produces error related to TextMesh Pro which in an empty project should not be in there at all.

When you create a new project, click on Add Asset and make sure you don't have TextMesh Pro selected there.

20. Deano42

Deano42

Okay, I have an empty project with no assets whatsoever, including no TMP.

I have created a 3D text object (standard) - Hello World, no errors.

Next I will import TMP.....

349 errors, and Unity has locked up. Windows has closed the program on me. <sigh>

I think that's enough for tonight... 11 PM my time. Thank you for your time and efforts. I don't know what to do at this point, but I think I'm going to back up all of my projects now ... just in case. You have been very kind and patient. Good night, good sir.

21. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Send me a private message (Conversation) and we can look at doing a skype call where you can share you screen so I can see exactly what is going on as this should be working without any issues.

22. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

I was getting the same error and found this thread. I had to delete the tmp dll for an older Unity version (deleted the entire TMP directory and reimported) to fix it. Works fine now!

23. Deano42

Deano42

@arlevi09 Unfortunately that never worked out in my case. Stephan and I spent hours on Skype with him looking at my screen. Finally we got one new project to accept the TextMesh, but I have never gotten a project-in-progress to accept it. I guess I'll try to use it when Unity incorporates it fully into their engine.

24. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

What was the outcome of removing and re-installing Unity 2017.1 or 2017.2 on your system?

Given we were able to create a new project using Unity 5.6 and import TextMesh Pro without issue, I suspect the issue is with your Unity 2017.1 and 2017.2 install given you could not even create a new project using those versions of Unity on your system.

25. Deano42

Deano42

You are correct ... the only functional TextMesh I have is the one you and I made. No other versions were able to produce a functional plug-in. I don't know why I am having such trouble creating a new project either, but I will have to figure that out when I get to St Louis next week.

26. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I think you ended up with a corrupt Unity install for 2017.1 and 2017.2 as they also appear to overlap each other. My suggestion is for you to remove the Unity 2017.1 and 2017.2 install and re-install those fresh.

You can actually install a new 2017.2 without removing the old ones. When installing, just select a new folder like "Unity 2017.2". Then see if you can create a new project and if so then remove the non working previous versions.

27. Deano42

Deano42

I agree ... remember we also discussed a RAM issue as well as getting an SSD. This may be a cascading problem, so I am going to try and rectify several problems at once when I get to my destination. I promise to post the results once I start the process, but it will have to wait until after I get there on October 16th.

Stephan_B likes this.
  28. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

Hello, we are running into a very similar issue. On an existing project for which we have already used TextMeshPro 1.0.54 (paid), we are having the following errors appearing on my Unity 5.6.1f1 console:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:382)
    3. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:373)
    4. UnityEngine.GUILayout.DoLabel (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:19)
    5. UnityEngine.GUILayout.Label (System.String text, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:15)
    6. TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMP_FontAssetEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Standard Assets/UPackages/TextMeshPro~1.0.54/Assets/TextMesh Pro/Editor/TMP_FontAssetEditor.cs:175)
    7. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1229)
    8. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    10. ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint
    11. Aborting
    12. UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/LayoutGroup.cs:115)
    13. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:413)
    14. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:373)
    15. UnityEngine.GUILayout.DoLabel (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:19)
    16. UnityEngine.GUILayout.Label (System.String text, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:15)
    17. TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMP_FontAssetEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Standard Assets/UPackages/TextMeshPro~1.0.54/Assets/TextMesh Pro/Editor/TMP_FontAssetEditor.cs:175)
    18. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1229)
    19. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    The problem was tracked down and fixed by this patch

Code (CSharp):
    1. diff --git a/Assets/Standard Assets/UPackages/TextMeshPro~1.0.54/Assets/TextMesh Pro/Editor/TMP_EditorUtility.cs b/Assets/Standard Assets/UPackages/TextMeshPro~1.0.54/Assets/TextMesh Pro/Editor/TMP_EditorUtility.cs
    2. index bf2b9f8cb..ddef3e723 100644
    3. --- a/Assets/Standard Assets/UPackages/TextMeshPro~1.0.54/Assets/TextMesh Pro/Editor/TMP_EditorUtility.cs    
    4. +++ b/Assets/Standard Assets/UPackages/TextMeshPro~1.0.54/Assets/TextMesh Pro/Editor/TMP_EditorUtility.cs    
    5. @@ -142,12 +142,12 @@ namespace TMPro.EditorUtilities
    6.                  // Find all the directories that match "TextMesh Pro"
    7.                  string[] matchingPaths = Directory.GetDirectories(projectPath + "/Assets", "TextMesh Pro", SearchOption.AllDirectories);
    8. -                folderPath = ValidateLocation(matchingPaths);
    9. +                folderPath = ValidateLocation(projectPath, matchingPaths);
    10.                  if (folderPath != null) return folderPath;  
    11.                  // Check alternative Asset folder name.
    12.                  matchingPaths = Directory.GetDirectories(projectPath + "/Assets", "TextMeshPro", SearchOption.AllDirectories);
    13. -                folderPath = ValidateLocation(matchingPaths);
    14. +                folderPath = ValidateLocation(projectPath, matchingPaths);
    15.                  if (folderPath != null) return folderPath;
    16.              }
    17. @@ -166,14 +166,14 @@ namespace TMPro.EditorUtilities
    18.          /// </summary>
    19.          /// <param name="paths"></param>
    20.          /// <returns></returns>
    21. -        private static string ValidateLocation(string[] paths)
    22. +        private static string ValidateLocation(string projectPath, string[] paths)
    23.          {
    24.              for (int i = 0; i < paths.Length; i++)
    25.              {
    26.                  // Check if any of the matching directories contain a GUISkins directory.
    27.                  if (Directory.Exists(paths[i] + "/GUISkins"))
    28.                  {
    29. -                    folderPath = "Assets" + paths[i].Split(new string[] { "/Assets" }, System.StringSplitOptions.None)[1];
    30. +                    folderPath = paths[i].Replace(projectPath + "/", "");
    31.                      return folderPath;
    32.                  }
    33.              }
    The ValidateLocation was making the assumption that the Assets folder wasn't repeated in the path.

twobob likes this.
  29. ctc5301

ctc5301

Hi, I use an external IDE: Jetbrain Rider. With TMPro (free version), the build in Unity 2017.02 is ok, but the build under Rider has a similar issue:
    TMP_DigitValidator.cs(10, 6): [CS0012] The type 'ScriptableObject' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'UnityEngine.CoreModule, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

30. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I would suggest lowering the compiler error level as this should result in a warning.

The TMP_DigitValidator.cs is contained in the Examples/Scripts folder so I am not sure why it is referenced in the assembly unless that's an older dll. What version of the TMP dlls are you using?

31. bachirk

bachirk

I'm getting the same issue. I have delete all TMP + plugin and reinstalled the plugin and still getting the issue.

ganaware likes this.
  32. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Same issue when using Rider or when upgrading to a new release?

33. Nodrap

Nodrap

I had the same problem of a blank TMP script in the inspector a couple of days ago. I thought it was because when I installed I unchecked the examples folder. I reinstalled with everything and it worked, but perhaps it was just the reinstall that fixed it now.

34. bachirk

bachirk

I am using:
    - Monodevelop and Unity3D 2017.3.0b8
    - TextMeshPro-1.0.55.2017.2.0b12
    getting the error when building to debug in Monodevelop.

Not getting the issues when using TextMeshPro-1.0.55.2017.1.0b12

35. mcmorry

mcmorry

@Stephan_B
    I have a similar problem with TextMeshPro free on Unity 2017.2.0f3.
    On Rider for mac, I have many similar errors when compiling from wihing Rider (but not when compiling from Unity):

LocalizeTarget_TextMeshPro.cs(33, 30): [CS0012] The type 'ScriptableObject' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'UnityEngine.CoreModule, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Also, the editor highlights as an error (but doesn't appear as error while building from Rider) a simple color assignment to a TextMeshProUGUI component:
    _cardValueText.color = Color.black;

Even if Unity compiles, is a bit annoying to have these errors in the editor. I hope you can find a solution.

36. mcmorry

mcmorry

I tried the paid version and is working fine. It seems that the dll is referencing UnityEngine.CoreModule, but in the references of the Rider project is missing and I wasn't able to add it.

37. bachirk

bachirk

Can't find a solution to this... I'm not using Rider, only MonoDevelop on mac.
    It's making it impossible to debug.
    Compiles fine in Unity 2017.3.0b8, but not when building from MonoDevelop.

Anyone knows how can I add UnityEngine.CoreModule to assembly?

38. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I am going to be releasing new versions of TextMesh Pro later today which will address this behavior. These will be on the Asset Store but will also post a link in the top sticky TextMesh Pro thread in the Unity UI & TextMesh Pro section of the user forum.

ganaware likes this.
  39. ismyhc

ismyhc

Has the fix for this been released yet? Im having very similar issues on 2017.2.0f3

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 5.09.13 PM.png

40. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Yes. Although new releases are not yet available on the Asset Store, they are available for direct download.

Links to download these releases is in the top sticky TextMesh Pro in the Unity UI & TextMesh Pro section of the user forum.

Give that release a spin and let me know if it behaves as expected.

unity-sb01 likes this.
  41. ismyhc

ismyhc

Yup, that fixed it for me. Thanks :)

Stephan_B likes this.
  42. NS24

NS24

Hi @Stephan_B

I've just taken over a project that uses Unity 5.6.1p2 (Windows) and contains a TextMeshPro installation, and I am wondering if this project is showing the same issue

When I create a new TMPro UGUI object I see the screen below - the yellow area highlighted in the Inspector indicates that something is not right as none of the fields are showing.

I have been told that this project uses Text Mesh Pro version 1.0.55.56.0b10 which results in the following dlls:
    Editor\TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b10-Editor.dll
    Runtime DLL\TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b10.dll

I am wondering if this project has the correct dlls, because when I try importing the very latest TextMeshPro I see no such issues (all works as expected), and this results in the following dlls:
    Editor DLL\TextMeshPro-5.6-1.0.56-Editor.dll
    Editor DLL\TextMeshPro-5.6-1.0.56-Runtime.dll
    Runtime DLL\TextMeshPro-5.6-1.0.56-Runtime.dll

I would be extremely grateful if you could think of what the problem might be here, what might have caused it and what might fix it?

many thanks

Nalin

TMProIssue.PNG

43. NS24

NS24

In case it helps anyone I got to the root of the problem.

The last developer deleted two key TMPro directories: Gizmos and GUISkins – when I copied these to the project that I’m merging – hey presto it works as expected

44. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The latest releases of TextMesh Pro are available in this thread. Be sure to pick the appropriate version of the release for the version of Unity that you are using.

It looks like when you upgraded to a newer release that you did not remove the previous package first.

As per the Release and Upgrade notes and information in that post, before upgrading to a new release, you have to remove the previous version before importing the new release by deleting the "TextMesh Pro" folder. Be sure to backup the project first as well as any files or assets you may have saved inside the "TextMesh Pro" folder. Be sure to also review the TMP Settings file and Stylesheet and other assets in case you have modified those.

45. NS24

NS24

46. DaFlaynigDuchman

DaFlaynigDuchman

I've got a problem with TextMesh Pro(Free) 5.5.0. I'm using the Unity 2018.4.17. An the problem is Assets\TextMesh Pro\Examples & Extras\Scripts\TMP_UiFrameRateCounter.cs(21,17): error CS0433: The type 'TextMeshProUGUI' exists in both 'TextMeshPro-2017.3-Runtime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' and 'Unity.TextMeshPro, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

47. DaFlaynigDuchman

DaFlaynigDuchman

Can someone help me fix it?.

48. DaFlaynigDuchman

DaFlaynigDuchman

Sorry, i don't know the version of TextMesh Pro

49. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Since Unity 2018.2, TextMesh Pro is included with the Editor as a default package. As such, when you upgraded your project to Unity 2018.4, you ended up with a project that has (2) versions of TextMesh Pro.

The AssetStore version of TextMesh Pro is the Legacy version which is no longer being updated. The Package Manager version which is available for Unity 2018.x and up is the version(s) being supported going forward.

In order to use the package manager version of TextMesh Pro, you will need to following the procedure outline in this sticky post and to convert your project to use the latest release which is version 1.5.0-preview.4 for Unity 2018.4. Preview 5 will be out this week.

Once you are running on the package manager version, future upgrades will be much easier and handled via the Package Manager.

50. DaFlaynigDuchman

DaFlaynigDuchman