Search Unity

Problem with Skinned Mesh Renderer

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by jpv1234, Nov 6, 2015.

1. jpv1234

jpv1234

Hello, I have an object that has some animations and needs a Skinned Mesh Renderer to work correctly. This animations works fine. However when I apply a light bake over the object, nothing is happening to my object and there is no good result. I saw that skinned mesh renderers can't be baked =(

If I take exactly the same object, remove the skinned mesh renderer, and add a mesh filter and a basic mesh renderer, everything looks great when doing the lightmapping bake! However animations are not working anymore

Any ideas how can I fix this behavior to have my animations working and a good light bake?

I need my object to be baked to have good quality, and to have animations. Please help =(

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. jpv1234

jpv1234

Someone?

3. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Baked lighting currently doesn't work for skinned meshes. We have it on our todo list but no ETA for this feature.

4. jpv1234

jpv1234

Thank you KEngelstoft. Do you have any workaround to create some shadows? Maybe a projector or something like that? I can add the general lightning of the object with blender and the texture

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Any update on this? It's 10 months later and it's a useful feature.

6. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Unity has a workaround called Light Probe Proxy Volumes.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-LightProbeProxyVolume.html
    Its not designed for baking shadows but you get much better light for larger meshes / skinned meshes then with just simple light probes.

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I know, but that's a different thing. And I can't use it on mobile. And even on dekstop it's much more expensive than simple being able to lightmap skinned meshes.

I have a few skinned meshes, that don't move around a lot (they just play an idle animation) and in Unity 4 I used to be able to bake them as the rest of the scene and have them look great. Now I can't.

SHoe likes this.
  8. SHoe

SHoe

Yeah, I wish to see that feature come back soon as well. It's really useful for my game. :~~~

9. optimise

optimise

@KEngelstoft, any new progress for this feature?

10. SHoe

SHoe

Hi @KEngelstoft , is there an ETA on this? It's been 3 years. :/

11. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

It is still sitting in the backlog, sorry. We haven't forgotten about it :)

optimise likes this.
  12. hongquannguyen

hongquannguyen

Are there any alternatives on how to have an object using Skinned Mesh Renderer in a light mapped scene? Like excluding a few objects from baking so they don't turn black after baking.

13. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

As @KEngelstoft said earlier, we currently do not support baking of skinned meshes. As other in the thread have mentioned, make sure to not mark your dynamic objects as static. You'd have to rely on light probes and LPPVs in order for them to receive indirect lighting.