Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Problem with rotation

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by claudiok, Sep 26, 2022.

1. claudiok

claudiok

I'm trying to make rotation in one object , using one point as reference. I would that the forward from my object is always the point of reference . Here is the code that i'm trying to make it work.

compañero.transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp(compañero.transform.rotation, Quaternion.LookRotation(Luces.transform.position), 1f);

Compañero is object that i'm trying to make rotate
    luces is reference point that i would the object look at

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

The first parameter of LookRotation needs to be a direction, not a position. You need to calculate the forward direction that you want. In this case, I'm guessing it should be:
    Code (csharp):
    2. (Luces.transform.position -  compañero.transform.position).normalized
    Basically, to get the direction, you just need to subtract the object's position from the target's position to get a vector. Then normalize that vector.

Edit: For the purpose of LookRotation, I don't know whether it needs to be normalized to work.

3. Bunny83

Bunny83

No, it does not need to be normalized. Though it doesn't really hurt on modern hardware ^^. In many cases you need the normalized direction for other things anyways.

4. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

I believe it needs normalising if you want to compare the desired forward vector with the current forward vector. However if you are merely setting the forward vector to = -(positionA - positionB) it will result the correct direction.

5. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

I stand Incorrected.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Vector3.Angle(OBJECT.forward, DESIREDFORWARD) < BUFFER)
    At less than buffer you can go ahead and set the forward to the desired forward, Greater than buffer you can

Code (CSharp):
    1. OBJECT.transform.forward += (OBJECT.transform.right * RATEOFTURN);
    Eventually you are within the buffer.

here is example of results

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022