Search Unity

Problem with ragdolls and optional "stiff" joints

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Morning, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Morning

Morning

Hello everyone, this has been bugging me for some time now and I need some help.

I have a simple character that is a ragdoll

What I need is to somehow make the orange limb (for example) stiff. The problem is that if I just make it kinematic it makes the entire character kinda "float" slowly and other weird behaviors. It seems to not act as a child to parent and instead like a separate entity slightly affected by overall forces.

I also tried removing both rigidbody and character joint from that limb but since joints need a rigidbody to connect to, lower arm suddenly breaks. Why do joints require to be a rigidbody and connect to one anyway? I don't really get this requirement.

Lets say I want a ragdoll to have straight arms as if it was doing a "plane" impression. One way is to remove both rb and joint from arms but only if there are no rbs that are children, otherwise it breaks. So you can't freeze arms but leave hands flailing.

I did try disabling rotation and/or movement on rb, but that didn't do good as expected.

I need the "stiff" limbs to follow their parent but not be affected by forces like a normal rigidbody.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong so please help me if you know, I need this.

2. Morning

Morning

No one? Please?

3. sethseth6

sethseth6

nope, sorry i don't know, i'm having a problem with ragdoll hips.