Search Unity

Video Problem with playing a few videos at the same time and playing a .webm with alpha

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jasaad, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Jasaad

Jasaad

Hey guys,

im having some problems with the Video Player and want to know if i can get it working somehow.

The first problem is on a project for android where i use 2 spheres as a 3D 360 video player and an additional video on a plane as somekind of "interface" for the viewer. The interface video is only visible in some parts of the whole movie and i'm using a .webm with VP8 codec to make use of the alpha channel. Its attached to the head, so its always in front of you if its active.

So splitted the interface into 5 videos, but i wasnt able to sync them perfectly with the main video of the 2 spheres. But i need to, because of the sound matching to the interface visuals. Also when i split it into parts, the performance was really bad when i preloaded all fo them and if i didnt preload, the screen always turns black for a second or so if i view it with the VIVE and the videos get loaded while watching the movie.

The next thing i tried was having the interface as a long video loading and playing at the exact same time as the main video on the spheres. Now the sync was perfect, but the interface video sometimes just stops running or jumps a few(hundred) frames forth and back. The longest time the video player was able not to F*** up the playback was about 1000 frames.

And in another project i have about 11 videos on planes in a szene that start playing when you're near them and pause when you're moing away. Here i also need to load all of them in the beginning to not to get short black screens when they start playing. BUT if i do it like that the framerate is... unplayable.

So has anyone have an idea how to run several videos smoothly at the same time, playing back a long .webm with alpha without bugging, not getting black screens when loading videos with the vive and syncing videos?
    Maybe the solution is to use another video player from the asset store? But if it is... which one is it? What player can do all these things?

allmer and taguados like this.
  2. Jasaad

Jasaad

Okay, i came to the conclusion that Unitys Video player isnt that good. Tested around with AVPro and everything works great (even has Shaders for VR and supports left/right and top/bottom Alpha). I can even run more Videos at a time than before and have no FPS problems. So for everyone with the same problem: get a proper Video-/Mediaplayer in the asset store!

allmer likes this.