Search Unity

Question Problem with plane generation while creating new simulated environment

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by masigouin, May 5, 2021.

1. masigouin

masigouin

Hello!

I've been testing with environment scans for the past weeks and I'm always getting problems with some vertical surfaces that are not perfectly aligned with the X axis or the Z axis.

Normally, I would expect to have a single plane aligned with the surface I'm detecting, but I almost always get multiple plane that are weirdly positionned on the surface.

upload_2021-5-5_10-0-13.png

I know a solution would be to rotate my 3D model, but most of the time I have multiple walls with different angles and I always end up having surfaces that are not aligned on one of the X or the Z axis

Is there a way to fix this?

2. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

Hello @masigouin

Unfortunately this is a limitation for our simulation in the editor, it would only work for axis aligned planes. Being said that, the workflow should work correctly on device builds.

3. masigouin

masigouin

Are there plans to try to correct this problem?
    Because this is kind of a big problem for me since it doesn't really help me prove that environment scans can be properly used in a simulation context and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks it's a major issue.

4. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

Hello @masigouin

Issues regarding non-axis-aligned surfaces are a known limitation of our surface extraction system. We are interested in learning new ways to improve this, but we do not have any solutions in the works at this time unfortunately.