Search Unity

Problem with materials (.fbx)

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by CheeseFriz, Apr 1, 2020.

1. CheeseFriz

CheeseFriz

Hey! In 3DS MAX my model is fully textured, I export it to .fbx, in the export menu I choose Embed Media. Textures are saved as .tga. I Import this model into Unity3D. It turns out that the model is all white. The materials are without textures. I click "Extract textures", they are extracted. But after extraction, the model is still white. I click "Extract materials", they are extracted. And what? The model is still white! And the materials that I extracted are also white! Help!

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

make sure the texture files are inside unity as well. you may need to assign them to the material.

usually with an fbx the albedo and normal textures (if they are applied in your DCC) would be auto assigned. I don't know why they wouldn't be, but all you got to do is reassign them in unity.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Also your model needs to be UV unwrapped.

4. CheeseFriz

CheeseFriz

How can I do this?

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

I haven't used 3DS Max (not since the 90s, anyway) but there should be tutorials on the internet. They also call it "UV mapping" or "UVW mapping"

6. CheeseFriz

CheeseFriz

Should I use UV Mapping or UV Unwrapping???

7. kdgalla

kdgalla

These are just two different names for the same thing, as far as I know.

8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

if your model was displaying the textures correctly in max, likely it is already unwrapped.

You are missing a lot of 101 level knowledge about models. That will make it a lot slower to troubleshoot. The good thing is there is thousands of tutorials that will cover the basics of stuff like this on youtube. In the meantime, if you upload your model as .obj file I'll take a look and see what it's missing.

9. CheeseFriz

CheeseFriz

Is there such a thing as auto-texturing in Unity3D? Because my model (.fbx) after exporting from .max when I open it in 3DS MAX it is white but it can be easily textured, and the materials are not white but materials have textures. But how to import this model into Unity3D the materials are white, button "Extract textures" extracts the textures for me, but after that nothing happens. The model is still white! Help! I need this model but it must be textured. And when I export this model to .obj from 3DS MAX this model with the "Texture cordinates" option until the exporter looks back and displays the error message, you can go to report. As I delete, 3DS MAX is still available, but not exported. I can click "Cancel" but nothing happens... I am asking everyone for help. I'm new to 3DS MAX and Unity3D! HELP!

10. kdgalla

kdgalla

Can you actually see the texture image files in your project? If so, you can create new materials for these textures and then assign them to your model.

11. CheeseFriz

CheeseFriz

16,000 textures are a bit too much for me to manually add to the model :'(

12. kdgalla

kdgalla

What? :eek: Typically a model would only have one, two, maybe four materials at most with one texture per material (I mean Albedo textures here, not including all those PBR maps). Are you attempting to make some sort of massive RPG overworld in a single model?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  13. CheeseFriz

CheeseFriz

Yes, this is the map model from the game. It is supposed to be very big. I was thinking about Material Converter script for 3DS MAX. Because Unity3D probably doesn't read .mat. And the V-ray reads? Because these scripts convert these materials to V-Ray.

14. radiantboy

radiantboy

Did you ever find a script to do this? I have some amazing models but the materials are missing all their textures