Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with linking Objects to Bone

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by SireCoffee, Dec 7, 2018.

1. SireCoffee

SireCoffee

So I've attempted multiple times to solve this on my own. I have looked up several different tutorials and find nothing that could help me. I'm at a loss and I don't know what's wrong or what to do to fix the problem.
    As shown in the picture above, I've tried to make the "Lashes" Object a child to the Head bone. I set everything up and click "Set Inverse" but when I try to move the head in pose mode to see if it worked, the head bends in strange positions.

I don't know what to do about this, I found nothing that could help me.

EDIT: NEW PROBLEM!

So I decided to ditch that method I tried above and instead just attach the objects directly to the bone. I tried weight painting first then just simply straight "Assigning" bones but either method results in the below picture.

As you can see, when I move the model in pose mode the face objects attached to the head bone clip through the body mesh. Any help would be very much appreciated.

PS. I also don't know how to have the bones show up in the "vertex groups" for the "Pupils" object. Somehow they show in the other face objects but not the pupils. Help with that would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. SireCoffee

SireCoffee

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

I can't tell what's going on at all from your images, but have you done any vertex weight painting on the head?

4. SireCoffee

SireCoffee

I don't know how vertex weight painting would help or how to make more sense of what I said about the pictures. Sorry. I mean I'll try...

The eyelashes in the first picture are a separate object from the body. They are originally not attached to a bone, but I want them to move with the head when I move the head bone. However, when I try to add a bone constraint "Child of" and make the eyelashes a child of the head bone, the whole head bends unnaturally in pose mode.

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

Well, if your head moves unnaturally right off the bat, that would be how you'd typically fix it. On the other hand, If it moves properly at first and then only moves unnaturally when you attach the eyes, then maybe it's not the vertex weights that are the problem.

So far, When I've done that sort of thing (i.e. attach a non-skinned object to my character), I would import the skinned mesh and the non-skinned object separately, then parent the object to the bone within the Unity editor but not bother to do it in Blender. So if it's not working in Blender, you might try it in Unity.

I don't really know why what you're doing wouldn't work properly in Blender, though.

6. SireCoffee

SireCoffee

It's the latter. The head moves just fine on it's own with the head bone, but as soon as I attach the lashes it bends unnaturally in pose mode. I'll try the Unity editor. Hopefully it'll work that way.

7. SireCoffee

SireCoffee