Search Unity

Problem with John Lemon tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by StormcastPrime, Aug 5, 2019.

1. StormcastPrime

StormcastPrime

I'm working through the John Lemon tutorial, but i have got stuck on the "Ending the Game" section. When I enter play mode and walk through the mesh to test the end screen, nothing happens. I have started the section from scratch and checked the code in the script multiple times, but it hasn't changed anything. Anyone have a suggestion?

2. Valjuin

Valjuin

In tutorial - the Player Charcter: Part 1.17, did you add the collider component to the correct John Lemon game object in the Hierarchy, i.e. the Parent and not the Child?

upload_2019-8-6_14-52-31.png

3. StormcastPrime

StormcastPrime

I checked, and I have attached the capsule collider to the JohnLemon Parent, not the child.

4. Valjuin

Valjuin

In tutorial - Part 6.8: Create a GameEnding Trigger (Step 4), did you enable the Is Trigger checkbox?
    upload_2019-8-7_16-1-0.png

5. StormcastPrime

StormcastPrime

Yep

6. Valjuin

Valjuin

In tutorial - Part 6.13 - Did you set the Variables for your GameEnding Script?
    upload_2019-8-8_0-30-16.png

7. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

8. StormcastPrime

StormcastPrime

Yes I did.

9. Valjuin

Valjuin

Does John Lemon reach the locked door at the end?

10. StormcastPrime

StormcastPrime

Yes he does.

11. Valjuin

Valjuin

If you’ve followed the tutorials to the letter and are confident that your code is correct and everything has worked as it should up to this point, I don’t know what else to suggest.

Did you check out the thread pointed out by @UnityMaru above? Someone there may have encountered this same problem and have a solution.

12. StormcastPrime

StormcastPrime

OK, thanks for your help!

13. StormcastPrime

StormcastPrime

Good News! I found out the issue was with the code as the image overlay worked when I set the Alpha to 1. So I carefully checked the code again and it turns out the issue was a SINGLE LETTER was lowercase rather than uppercase. I guess that's just how coding is, isn't it? Anyways, thank you for all your help, you helped me to narrow down to where the issue was, and find the error!

Valjuin likes this.
  14. fipatual

fipatual

Hey folks!

I managed to complete the tutorial, get caught by gargoyles, set up the ghosts, etc.

But one thing is DEEPLY FRUSTRATING me - and I need your help to overcome it (my son made a BET I won't be able to solve it, so motivation is doubled).

When I get to the end, the final screen does not show up. The character reaches the game ending point, but the game ending screen never appears. I checked for the images' alpha (it's on maximum); I checked for spelling/capitalisation (code is identical to the reference); there's no compiling errors.

If you have come across this or have heard of it: what are solutions you found that WORKED?

15. Moonstarshine

Moonstarshine

Having a really frustrating issue....hoping someone can help im new to all this... did the unity essentials well doing the john lemon project and im at the part where it has me add rigidbody....which i did but in the instructions he says oh but something isnt quite right and that he falls...well mine doesnt fall......he floats into space...what did i do wrong here...why is he not falling instead my lemon is floating..

16. bellyofthebasilix

bellyofthebasilix

when i press the wasd and arrows keys to move the character, nothing happens. for context, i've went over the tutorial twice