Search Unity

Problem with jitter/latency issue

Discussion in 'VR' started by yunshuijin, Dec 16, 2018.

1. yunshuijin

yunshuijin

There is an obvious jitter and latency issue for Holotoolkit for Unity since Unity3d 2018.2.2f1 and the later version (I've tested every version up to 2019.1.0a12).
    1. install the holotoolkit (HoloToolkit-Unity-2017.4.3.0)
    2. apply the mixed reality scene setting which could create an AR camera
    3. drop a simple box in the scene
    4. use the holographic remoting or deploy it to Hololens
    No matter to use the holographic remoting or deploy it to Hololens, the hologram appears quite unstable with a very obvious jittering and drifting effect. This effect is very uncomfortable for hololens. However, this won't happen before unity3d 2017.4.17f1 and the previous version.

Besides, even though it's such a simple scene, the Fps couldn't reach 60 (no matter remoting or deploy to hololens) . The Fps is around 50, sometimes even lower, but the Microsoft official applications which are much more complicated, but could reach 60 fps. But note that the above unstable drifting issue is not caused by the lower FPS, because it's the same FPS with unity3d 2017.4.17f1, but the hologram is relatively stable not that nasty.

2. Jarediavionic

Jarediavionic

Glad i am not the only one who has had the issue. I have reverted back to Unity 2017.3.0b10 for working on the hololens, which sucks because I would like to work with the Vuforia model target which requires later versions but the drift is killing me.

3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

submit a bug report on the holotoolkit issues they need to know about this. we have also had issues with jitter and keep being told "optimise your fps" despite the problem being noticeable worse between versions with same FPS.

4. Jarediavionic

Jarediavionic

yea, I know it isnt a vuforia issue since the same module just respecced for android works perfectly on android devices. (possible device spec issue but not sure, very disheartening if the Hololens is already outperformed by a Galaxy Note 9) Since the Hololens is showing alot more stability in the older versions of unity like 2017.3.0b10 it makes me believe that there is something with unity itself.

5. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

If you can give us a repro project, one that does not use HoloToolkit but exhibits the behavior you see we would be happy to investigate. We have no involvement with Holotookit development so we cannot speak to any behaviors that may be a result of using it. Scene complexity and amount of systems being used are all factors on Hololens performance which can manifest problems in the tracking/stability area.