Search Unity

Problem with flipping normals!!

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Viva-La-Baz, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Viva-La-Baz

Viva-La-Baz

So the mesh I exported from 3ds max was giving me some weird problems with the left arm (see through) see through.PNG So i went back into max and flipped the normals. That worked as the mesh is no longer see through, the problem is with the colors as you can see.
    weird.PNG
    The shader is the same on both arms, with the same color. What is causing this? I can't seem to figure it out.
    Thanks.

2. OllyNicholson

OllyNicholson

Unity Technologies

This problem happens when you mirror geometry in 3D studio - I believe you need to reset the transform on your mesh first > Utilities > Reset X Form

Next, right click on your model > properties > check back-face cull to see your normal directions properly and then flip the faces of the incorrect normals. Collapse your mesh to editable poly and re-export and your model should be fine in Unity

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The problem would of become 'very' evident once you started animating.

When mirroring always reset x form. I believe an alternate process is the symmetry modifier - which performs the x form reset automatically.
    Best way to make sure before exporting (and before rigging/skinning), select individual objects then right click on scale icon on the main tool bar. All absolute values should read 100.0. If they don't - reset the x form.