Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with cloud recognition in Unity Editor

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by tevi79, Dec 19, 2017.

1. tevi79

tevi79

Hi,

Has anyone been able to make cloud recognition work in editor with the vuforia sdk included with unity? I've got an application which works just fine when deployed to iOS or Android but within the editor the application just doesn't recognise any cloud targets.

After the application has been up and running a while in the editor vuforia starts giving UPDATE_ERROR_BAD_FRAME_QUALITY errors. But I doubt the frame quality is that bad as I'm able to use the standard image targets just fine.

Everything was working with the older SDK downloaded from the vuforia site.

I'm using 2017 MacBook Pro and Unity 2017.3.0f2.

2. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Are you seeing this in the sample scene with the example cloud database, or your own project with your database?

3. tevi79

tevi79

4. Budyn4

Budyn4

I have exactly the same problem on windows and with Unity 2017.3.0f3.

5. noemis

noemis

Same here... coming from Unity 2017.2.0 -> 2 cloud targets in Editor worked fine, but only 1 of 2 worked on android (Moto Z). So now I tried Unity 2017.3.0 -> no targets found in editor/android.

and yes, I use 5 stars targets.

ina likes this.
  6. noemis

noemis

And when hit play and wait about 30 seconds I get the following error:

Cloud Reco update error UPDATE_ERROR_BAD_FRAME_QUALITY
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    SimpleCloudTracker:OnUpdateError(UpdateState) (at Assets/planAR/CodeAppOnly/SimpleCloudTracker.cs:79)
    Vuforia.CloudRecoBehaviour:Update()​

7. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

@noemis This is a known issue in the 2017.3 samples that only occurs in Playmode. It is currently being addressed. Can you confirm that this works when deployed on device?

8. noemis

noemis

@Vuforia-Strasza: sadly not. As written in my first post, it doesn't work on my android device (moto z) too. I also created a 4th marker, but it is also not recognized. But one marker seem to work... I tried also a delayed initialization of vuforia, but this doesn't help.

And to complete my Unity 2017.3 experience: after getting the meta data (of the one working marker) and download the linked asset bundle I get the next failure: "Failed to load GpuProgram from binary shader data in 'Standard'." - So I tried to rebuild with the new unity version, but after opening with 2017.3 and following reimport of the assets the "unwarpCl.exe" crahsed... it really feels like no one tested the new unity version with a simple case, because my project is pretty simple: empty project with (integrated) Vuforia, a 3D model, cloud tracking and asset bundles... I'm familiar how to setup and it worked ok (not perfect) on 2017.2.0, but there already I noticed, that some cloud tracker are not working on android... that was the reason to upgrade, which now fells more like a downgrade.

And maybe on addition: I just created an offline database and used them as predefined targets, and they work -> and the rest of the app too.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Andresanvidria likes this.
  9. boang3000

boang3000

ina likes this.
  10. ina

ina

11. boang3000

boang3000

@ina got a question, have you tried implementing the cloud recognition? Did it work when you try to add a 3D augmentation object on top of your cloud target upon detection? Because I did try and follow their instruction and it seems that it didn't work when adding a 3D object but it works well when retrieving a metadata from Cloud Recognition.

12. sminjard

sminjard

@Vuforia-Strasza Can you tell when the Playmode fix will be released?

13. solarisn

solarisn

@Vuforia-Strasza This bug makes development w/ Vuforia Fusion very time consuming/expensive. Can we please get an update on when to expect the fix or if it is already implemented in a newer patch of Unity? Is there a version of Unity that supports Fusion that doesn't have this bug?

14. ina

ina

Cloud does not work in Editor. Build to device and it should be fine

15. noemis

noemis

16. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

@sminjard @solarisn @noemis
    This is resolved in Unity 2017.3.0p4 with Vuforia 7.0.47. You can download it from the same link noemis posted.

Sorry for the delay in response.

17. ina

ina

@Vuforia-Strasza is the camera resolution also fixed? Vuforia 6 camera allowed for 1080p but Vuforia 7 camera only has blurry video at 720p

18. tevi79

tevi79

Just installed the 4th patch for the 2017.3.0 and after brief test it seems like the cloud recognition is now working as it should in editor too.

Vuforia-Strasza likes this.
  19. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

@ina ARKit dictates the camera resolution when used. ARKit 1.5 is introducing additional resolution support and we will be integrating this in a future release.

20. ina

ina

when will this be available?

21. ina

ina

is the fix also in the next subversion 2017.3.10f3 or only in the patch version?

22. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

This will be available with any version of Unity with Vuforia 7.0.47.

23. ina

ina

Is Unity Cloud Build supported yet for 2017.3.1? It seems that Cloud Build is running into the same errors you get when you forget to checkbox Vuforia support in XR settings... Cloud Build does not seem to have a prompt to choose include Vuforia?

24. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Hi @ina

Talking with @vad710, it sounds like Unity possibly doesn't have Vuforia Support installed on their Cloud Build service. We'll reach out to them about it and see what we can do. Feel free to also ping Unity about it.

I'll share any updates I can with you as I get them.

Thanks

ina likes this.
  25. ina

ina

You may want to make this a known issue sticky!

26. danielfaisal

danielfaisal

How to augment multiple cloud targets

@Vuforia-Strasza my cloud cloud recognition works smoothly on my version of Unity 2017.3.1f1 and i was able to follow on to get the AR feature to my image target.

My actual objective
    However i do want to augment on multiple targets
    with my cloud recognition.
    so how do i do that.

27. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

@danielfaisal Cloud Reco can only augment a single target at a time. If you want to detect and augment multiple images simultaneously it is recommended you use a device database.

Thanks

28. Bird_LYKKE

Bird_LYKKE

viniverso likes this.
  29. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

@Bird_LYKKE Are you still tracking the first target when trying to detect the second? Is extended tracking on?

30. GeneralDollar

GeneralDollar

I can't get Vuforia cloud reco to recognize my cloud database with only one single image in it. I am following the "How To" provided by Vuforia. My script looks just like how the tutorial told me to write it. It just doesn't seem to scan anything. All I have is a simple cube childed to the image target.

Thanks for any assistance!

Unity 2018.1.7f1

31. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Do you have any errors in your log? Have you tried plugging your database into the sample app and seeing if it works there?

32. viniverso

viniverso

Hey @Bird_LYKKE,
    One way to solve that issue is restart your Cloud Recognition.
    Make a function to restart it, as this one:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void CloudRecoRestart(){
    2. if(cloudRecoBehaviour) {
    3.      if(!cloudRecoBehaviour.CloudRecoEnabled)
    4.          cloudRecoBehaviour.CloudRecoEnabled = true;
    5. }
    6. }
    Now you can call this function when it's lost the trackedObject, and will works nice.

I tried some other ways, respecting the tutorials on web but I didn't find nothing to help.

33. Rohan9841

Rohan9841

I tried cloud reco in Unity 2018.1.9 and 2017.4.10, but ran into the same problem as above. I followed the instructions from this link:
    https://library.vuforia.com/content...lution/How-To-Implement-Cloud-Reco.html#unity.
    First target is detected well. But, when I press the restart button (GUI as shown in the tutorial link), the editor freezes. I tried building for android but still the same problem. Can somebody please help me solve this problem?

34. danilo-defilippis

danilo-defilippis

When I upload a new image target to the cloud db, from the target manager or via api, should I expect to retrieve it within my deployed app whit no further action?

35. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Correct. As long as your app is already set up to detect images from that cloud database, no further action is needed within the app to be able to detect a newly uploaded target to that database.

36. ShreeShanthiS

ShreeShanthiS

Does Vuforia cloud recognition supports more than one image target at a time?

37. meedabit

meedabit

@ShreeShanthiS,

No. Vuforia Cloud Recognition can only work on a single image at any given time.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support