Search Unity

Question Problem with applying textures from Assets to objects created in Blender

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by igoapp, Dec 12, 2021.

1. igoapp

igoapp

Hi.

I have just started learning Unity and am currently a total noob. So, please bear with me.

I have created three objects in Blender: two chains and a ring (hoop), and added these objects to my Unity project. I have also added a sphere in Unity. Furthermore, I have added an asset called Basic Metal Texture Pack. Then, I created a material using textures and normal maps from the Pack and applied the material to all four objects.

There are a few issues that are demonstrated on the first attached image. First, the chains created in Blender from a torus (see image 2) do not have the material applied properly. The top and bottom edges are fine but the middle parts of the chains have textures protruded (extended).

Second, for some reason, the material is applied just fine to the chains and the sphere but not to the ring/hoop. I am not aware of any differences between the chain and the ring models in Blender. What could be the culprit?

I have created the material by applying the downloaded texture and the normal map to an object. Should I instead create a new shader using the textures? Are there good examples of realistic rusty metal shaders that would explain the steps to be taken? I have made some research but failed to find any good and realistic examples.

Is there a way to randomize the rusty parts of the texture, i.e. change the shape and location on the objects? It is one texture that is applied, and the way it is applied to various objects is the same. Can I do it in SHader Graph?

Thank you so much for your help!

Igor

Attached Files:

2. igoapp

igoapp

EDIT:

I did UV unwrapping of the chain object in Blender and the first problem seems to have been solved. Still trying to address the other ones.

Attached Files:

3. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Looks like you know nothing about modeling , texturing and materials
    Learn better than the modeling process first

Import model tips into the Unity:
    1. I recommend using these settings to import models:
    Untitled.jpg

2 .Set up metal, watch this video:

3. Create a HDRI sky box:

Download HDRI skybox:
    https://hdri-skies.com/

4. igoapp

igoapp

Hi @UnityLighting

Thank you for trying to help. As I said in my original post, I am a newbie and try to learn and read/watch lots of materials available on line. As far as the process is concerned, I am creating models in Blender and then apply shaders to them. But then, when I export them to Unity (as a blend or fbx file), the shading materials created in Blender are not even supposed to work in Unity. Therefore, I have to recreate shaders separately in Unity (using Shader Graph).

Another thing I am doing is I am baking the textures in Blender and then export the png baked files to Unity along with the model. In either case, the settings that are reflected in your first image are not working. To have them work for my second option, I need to apply the baked texture files to Material/Shader/Surface Inputs/Base Map and Normal Map.

Your second link is broken.

Thank yo so much!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  5. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

When you model and texture a model in the blender, you don't need to do anything inside unity. Everything will works
    The only thing needs to be redo inside unity, is the material setup. You must set up again the material settings inside unity.
    The Standard shader is the best choice. You don't need the shader graph in the most cases
    The workflow:
    1. Mode and set up UV mapping inside blender
    2. Export model (you can embed media for fbx)
    3. import into the unity
    4. Use standard shader and assign your texture into the Base Map(URP) or Albedo (built-in pipeline)
    5. Now you can customize the settings to get other things(reflections, normal maps , metallic or ...)

Upload one your files to show you how it works

6. igoapp

igoapp

@UnityLighting

Thank you for providing further details. As per your request, I am attaching a sample project that shows the model, shader, and the image texture files that I created. The first attached file does not have the texture files linked to Principled BSDF and the output, but this is simply to show how the shading nodes are supposed to be connected to the output. The second attached file has the output connected to the baked image textures.

After baking the image textures, I am exporting the second file to Unity as an fbx file and try to apply the Materials settings shown in your first image. Alternatively, I also select "Use embedded materials" and hit Apply. For some reason, I still do not see the embedded materials in either case. I am doing something wrong here but cannot figure out what exactly.

Thank you!

EDIT: Looks like I simply forgot to move the saved png texture files to Unity. Once I have done this, I can apply the textures to Surface Inputs. But it sounds to me that this is not the procedure you meant in the original post. May be I am mistaken...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021