Search Unity

Problem with 2D sprites

Discussion in '2D' started by OkeyNik, Feb 14, 2020.

1. OkeyNik

OkeyNik

Hello. I'm going to make a game on a PC (and I have a monitor already 1920-1080). Soon it will be necessary to order character sprites. The graphics themselves are 2d pixel art. The artist said that he would draw 100x100 pixels. The game itself I will have an RPG. Also - it will be raster graphics. Will 100 to 100 look normal on monitors? I want everything to look beautiful.

P.S. There will be no zoom. This will be one of the game characters. The whole game is pixel. All characters will be animated. The game itself is a 2D online RPG.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

My artist doesn't worry about the size of the textures, he makes a "scene" in Photoshop, then draws everything in the scene so it looks right. A sword will be drawn the size it needs to be to fit in the hand of the character, a chair will be drawn to fit the size of the character. He then saves each item or character as a separate texture, which I bring into Unity and add it to a Sprite Atlas. I adjust the camera so the sprites look as they did in Photoshop, playing with the orthographic size.

3. OkeyNik

OkeyNik

Its a freelancer) He will not do that. If he was my friend so yeah I ask him to make a scene in Photopshop, but not in this case=(

4. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

Okay, looking back I didn't really answer your question. It will look fine as long as you setup the camera right. With pixel art you should use the 2D Pixel Perfect camera you can get from the package manager. The artist, freelance or not, should make sure the art matches so you don't have varying pixel per units for each sprite. It should all match for it to work properly.

Take a look at some pixel art around the internet and check the sizes and amount of detail, you may want more detail or less. This will affect the size. This way you can tell the artist more or less what you want.

5. OkeyNik

OkeyNik

Thank you