Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

problem running game on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows' started by JoeStrout, Oct 24, 2019.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I've got a user in Brazil who wants to run one of my Unity games (Mini Micro) on a Windows 7 machine. When he tries, he gets this error:

MiniMicroError.JPG

I don't speak Portuguese, but he says this means something along the lines of "The version of this archive is not compatible with the version of Windows running. Consult the system information of the computer to verify if you need an x86 (32 bits) or x64 (64 bits) version of the program and contact the software editor."

I've tried googling about Unity apps on Windows 7, but all the hits I got were (as expected) many years old. However the Unity system requirements page still claims support for Windows 7.

My Windows build settings look like this:

upload_2019-10-24_11-13-37.png

Any idea what's not set right to let this thing run on Windows 7?

Thanks,
    - Joe

2. Mauri

Mauri

This error usually shows when someone tries to open a 64bit (or
    x86_64
    ) program on a 32bit (or
    x86
    ) OS.
    (You can use 32bit software on 64bit OS just fine, but not the other way around).

There's a catch, however: If you download something and the download may be incomplete for whatever reason (let it be your antivirus, firewall or internet connectivity making a fuss), this message may also pop up.

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

From Unity's side, everything should be working. As Mauri said, I'd check that they're not trying to run 64-bit version of the game if their OS is 32-bit, and that the download isn't corrupted.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hmm, as you can see above, I am building as "x86" — that means 32-bit, right?

Is there some independent way to verify the architecture of the build?

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

There are tools like dumpbin (included with Visual Studio) that can tell you the bitness of an executable. But if you're building x86, that will produce a 32-bit build.

6. f3rras

f3rras

hey has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?, I am making the build in windows x86 and people with windows 7 cant open it!

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It should work, unless you depend on Windows 10 features in your project (like DirectX 12). Got any more details other than "can't open it"?

8. f3rras

f3rras

Hello! thanks for the anwser, well the game launches but it will only show a pale blue screen, and nothing will come out of it, it wont show any errors either. I have to close it down with alt-f4

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Are you sure you haven't built an empty scene? Anything in the player log?

10. f3rras

f3rras

the game runs fine in a windows 10 pc, its just windows 7 the issue

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You're not giving me much to work with. Do you have a player log?

12. f3rras

f3rras

Sorry for the late response, I appreciate a lot your support! I just had the chance to get the player log from a windows 7 computer since I am not personally having this trouble. there is a text in french so I took the liberty to translate it.
    Player log:

ono path[0] = 'C:/Users/Arnaud/Desktop/EKP_build_v3/EKP_build_v3/Eagle Knight Paradox_Data/Managed'
    Mono config path = 'C:/Users/Arnaud/Desktop/EKP_build_v3/EKP_build_v3/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
    Initialize engine version: 2020.3.1f1 (77a89f25062f)
    [Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path C:/Users/Arnaud/Desktop/EKP_build_v3/EKP_build_v3/Eagle Knight Paradox_Data/UnitySubsystems
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    d3d11: CreateDXGIFactory2(...) not found, fallbacking to CreateDXGIFactory1(...).
    d3d11: QueryInterface(IDXGIFactory5) failed (80004002).
    Direct3D:
    Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (ID=0x11c0)
    Vendor: (null)
    VRAM: 1970 MB
    Driver: 26.21.14.4274
    Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    - Completed reload, in 0.101 seconds
    OnLevelWasLoaded was found on Fading
    This message has been deprecated and will be removed in a later version of Unity.
    Add a delegate to SceneManager.sceneLoaded instead to get notifications after scene loading has completed

D3D11 device created for Microsoft Media Foundation video decoding.
    <RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

<RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 1.074427 ms
    WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36b4 while reading C:/Users/Arnaud/Desktop/EKP_build_v3/EKP_build_v3/Eagle Knight Paradox_Data/sharedassets0.resource

Context: Setting media type for first video stream
    Error details: Les données spécifiées pour le type de média ne sont pas valides, sont incohérentes ou ne sont pas prises en charge par cet objet.
    Track types:
    Audio Track, type: %10%16
    Video Track [694 x 540], type: H264

Video encontrado...

Setting up 2 worker threads for Enlighten.
    Thread -> id: 53d8 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 64bc -> priority: 1

*french translates to:
    The data specified for the media type is invalid, inconsistent, or not supported by this object.

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Okay so it looks like Windows 7 is unable to playback the video in your initial scene? What format and encoding settings is your video in?