Search Unity

Question Problem mapping facial bones on humanoid avatars

Discussion in 'Animation' started by AlexSanrey, Apr 12, 2022.

1. AlexSanrey

AlexSanrey

Hello, this is the first time I try to import a model with a facial bone based rig to Unity (I’ve used blendshapes before) and when importing the model and mapping the eye and jaw bones on the humanoid avatar of the fbx import settings, I get this terrifying creature as a result when I click the play button.

Before&AfterMappingBones.jpg

As much as I search for a solution to my problem on the Internet, I can't find anything that can be useful, so next I'm going to try to show a brief summary of the steps I've taken, which maybe can help you see where I'm making a mistake. Any help or suggestion will be more than welcome.

Software versions used:

3Ds Max 2020

Unity: 2020.1.17f1/ 2020.2.6f1

Model Features

• The character has separate head and body geometries, as they must be interchangeable with other heads and bodies.

• The body has a bone structure created with 3Ds Max's biped system, with some extra bones for the breasts (which I'll apply physics to later).

• I have created some bones for the face, including a bone for each eye and a bone for the jaw, to which I have linked the bones that corresponded to the lower part of the mouth and the chin. Of course, all these bones have been linked to the biped’s head bone.

FaceBones.jpg

• I have exported the model in fbx format with the following settings:

FBXSettingsMax.jpg

In the fbx import options in Unity I do the following:

• I select “humanoid” in “Animation Type” of the “Rig” tab

• In the avatar settings, in the “Mapping/Head” tab, although I have many more bones assigned to the character's face, I see that I can only map the bones corresponding to the eyes and the jaw, so I do it.

HeadBoneMapping.png

• In the “Animation/Mask/Transform” tab I check the box for the remaining face bones.

Result and problems

• The bones of the body are automatically mapped and works correctly when using any supported animation.

• After adding any compatible animation to the character, the eyes look at the sky (as if she was possessed by some entity xD). The jaw also changes its position and rotation, displaying itself incorrectly.

Before&AfterEyes&Jaw.jpg

• Even when I've checked the box for all the face bones in the mask, the test animation I've made for it doesn't actually play.

Thnx in advance for the help.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022