Search Unity

Problem Manually Importing Cinema4D characters

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by P3ndragonLLC, Jul 1, 2021.

1. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Hello,

I'm trying to import some cinema4d sourced characters and I'm having an issue. I have an fbx export from cinema4d and I'm working with it, I extract the materials and then import the texture set that goes with the model. It seems like the normals are off, when I look at the body, or even the clothes (it's more noticeable on the body), the textures don't work across body parts and they don't look right just in themselves. I tried reversing the G channel, which usually works for other import formats that I've had similar issues with, but either direction, it still looks wrong.

I know there's a tool for doing it, but I've seen mixed reviews for it and I've had success hand converting models from other tools in the past, so it seems like the easiest solution.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? NormalDirection1.png NormalDirection2.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@P3ndragonLLC
    Did you properly UV unwrap the model, before importing it into unity?

Also, it's possible that some of the faces on the model, might need to be recalculated or flipped too.

3. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

@BrandyStarbrite Sorry, I missed your message :)

Would you do the UV unwrap in Cinema4d? (I'm getting the output fbx, so I don't actually know what's happening at the source level, but I might be able to ask them to do that if it's something that's done in Cinema4D)

4. Mukulioplaxwal

Mukulioplaxwal

How to import C4d files in unity can anyone tell as I don't know how but I have created many objects in cinema4d.
    And want to use them in the game which I am currently building

5. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

Hey P3ndragon,

To BrandyStarbrites UV point - you want to ensure that the model is correctly unwrapped in Cinema4D so that when you bake the texture, it bakes correctly.

If you export the FBX and textures from Cinema4D and then bring it back into a new Cinema4D scene, does it have the same artifacts that it does in Unity?

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  6. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

Hey Mukulioplaxwal,

I'd recommend exporting them as FBX, rather than native C4D files. If you absolutely want to use C4D files then you're best looking at Maxons Asset Store package - but it is not managed by Unity:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/cineware-by-maxon-158381

7. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Hey George-Ing,

I don't actually have Cinema4D and I only have the exported fbx and textures. (I only know it's Cinema4D from some of the exported node names and things like that.)

I'll see if the author will tell me if it's unwrapped in Cinema4D.

Thanks!
    Scott

8. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Dude, sorry I forgot to respond. I was busy with alot of things, that are game related, moreso PC related.

Okay, concerning your question, I don't mind doing the UV unwrapping for you, but I don't have Cinema 4d installed, and unfortunately, my PC has been down for a while, hindering my game development. And it will be a while before it gets fixed.:confused:

And don't worry if you missed my message from before. Stuff like that happens sometimes. No biggies.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  9. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Cool, I'm going to look into some options - good luck getting your PC resolved :)

BrandyStarbrite likes this.