Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

problem creating cubemaps

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Mike, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Mike

Mike

Hi again !

I use Unity Indie and want to create a simple sphere with a reflective material (using a cubemap).

I rendered out this picture:

Now I want Unity to make a cubemap out of this picture using the Import Settings dialogue.

But no matter which method I use (GL Spheremap, Nice Spheremap, Simple spheremap) the result is not what I want:

The circled areas show the seams, duplicated parts and distortions.

What am I doing wrong? :(
    Is it my texture that has to be changed? If yes how should it look like?

And:

Is there any documentation on the various cubemap import settings?
    I couldn't find more than "Generates a cubemap from the texture using different generation methods." and "If you want to use texture for reflection maps (e.g. use Reflective builtin shaders), you need to use Cubemap Textures." in the manual...

Thanks for your help guys !

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

If you're rendering it out, the best is to render six square images with 90 degree field of view along all six coordinate axes (+X, -X, +Y, -Y, +Z, -Z). Then create a cube map in Unity and assign the images.

Creating a cubemap from a single texture is when you want to create a cube from a spheremap for example, which is never accurate. But this can often be used to fake "something reflective" look.

3. Mike

Mike

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

Now I have another question:

I've made a nice camera setup in Cinema that gives me 6 rendered images that work just fine for my skybox in unity!

But I can't use those images for my cubemap as some of the faces in the reflections are upside down.

Do I need an extra set of 6 images for my cubemap?

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Yes, you need to flip some of them.

The cube map does not share memory with textures you drag on to them. If you care about size, you probably want to use the cubemap for the skybox itself. You can simply switch to the builtin Skybox cubed shader and drag your cubemap on it.