Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Problem] Blender units

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Wompo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Wompo

Wompo

Hello,

I have a problem with importing 3D objects from Blender to Unity. Everytime I do this they appear to be on a very weird scale. Can anyone explain to me how the blender to unity units are? Thanks in advance.

p.s

Blender 2.5 and Unity Free 2.6

2. Wompo

Wompo

Le bump

3. w00dn

w00dn

hey wompo

i'm guessing on the problem here:
    in general, whenever you scale something in blender, a transformation gets applied to the mesh. this is visible in the transform properties as scalex, scaley, scalez. whenever that is not 1, it means the object in blender has some scaling on it and therefore will import into unity with that scale. this can be very useful, but sometimes it isn't.

so a way around this is to apply the transform by seleting the object in blender and hitting ctrl-a and then apply the scale/rotation to the object. after that, the units between unity and blender should be 1:1.

it's a good idea to define a certain scale for your world and objects in them. there is no "right" number and depends mostly on what game you make.

also keep in mind that the scale of an object influences physics.

sorry if this was not your question at all ;-)

4. Wompo

Wompo

Thanks! that was exactly what I was looking for, is there some guide on what ratio's to use.

This project is going to be Virtual Reality of our school if that makes any difference.

5. w00dn

w00dn

i think i read somewhere that 1 unit = 1 meter is good for real life stuff.