Search Unity

Probe Volume

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by id0, Apr 20, 2020.

1. id0

id0

I'm install HDRP 9 where some "experimental Probe Volume" exist. What a hell is it? I'm not found any info.

2. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

3. id0

id0

M4R5 likes this.
  4. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

upload_2020-4-21_10-52-51.png
    upload_2020-4-21_10-53-3.png

BATTLEKOT and id0 like this.
  5. id0

id0

Niiice

6. Passeridae

Passeridae

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  7. jjejj87

jjejj87

Please don't let the light data be linked to scenes...and also make it bake-able in runtime...for the love of god!

8. KiteSam

KiteSam

Unity's new irradiance . I'm looking forward to this. Perhaps it is similar to the irradiance of unigine.
    If you have RTX, you can use it with real-time irradiance.
    Even without RTX, it will be available as baked irradiance.
    Because it uses a volume texture, it will be accessible in world coordinates.
    According to the ProbeVolume option, it can be processed in material and in light loop.

9. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, Probe volumes is a feature in development and we don't recommend to use it. It will not be ready before 2021 and it will also not be documented before that. Mostly used for internal research currently. Thanks.

chadfranklin47 likes this.
  10. KiteSam

KiteSam

Our team use DDGI for Unreal with Nvidia SDK.

I am not using ProbeVolume in 2020.
    This is because Git Source alone can sufficiently predict in what form the engine will be included. If possible, I want ProbeVolume to support Light layer as well.
    Right now, I am using approximation of the interior indirect diffuse using shaders ( baked GI) and light layers.

11. FOXAcemond

FOXAcemond

Oh yes that would be awesome and would fix one of my biggest issue with baked GI atm.

12. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

How does this differ from light probes or LPPVs? Is it just an easier way of placing light probes, or something completely new? Are there any similarities between this and the occlusion probes seen in the Book of the Dead demo? I would check out the experimental feature myself but modifying the file required to enable it is difficult given it is tucked away in the Package Manager and my attempts to move it out have been unsuccessful.

13. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

To make local changes to any package, either put a "file" ref to the folder for the package to directory where you have your modified version by using the Package Manager left top corner menu or by editing the Packages manifest.json manually... or simply just copy the package you want from <your project folder>Library/PackageCache to <your project folder>/Packages (any package placed under Packages folder will automatically override same package on the manifest). Both these options will give you possibility to edit the stock packages without Unity overriding them (it does prevent easy upgrade of these though for obvious reasons).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Warrior1424 likes this.
  14. sqallpl

sqallpl

It's visible on GitHub that thr Probe Volume related branches are active both for UPR and HDRP.

Is it planned only for offline baking?

I'm very curious if this feature will get some support for realtime/dynamic scenarios. Like general runtime baking (baking whole scene/parts of scene after it was procedurally generated in the runtime) or rebaking/updating whole volume (or just part of it that covers the changes in geometry) in realtime.

Even if it's too heavy for realtime updates (at least without raytracing) it would be nice to have an option to bake/rebake it on demand in the runtime. In this case it would be usable for realtime generated levels and not only for scenes that are created and prebaked in the editor.

The interesting fact is that component with the same name (Probe Volume) was used in RTXGI/DDGI presentation at Unite.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    chadfranklin47 and slime73 like this.
  15. Passeridae

Passeridae

The DDGI tech is currently on hold, according to Unity. The probe volume thing is probably close to the one that has been recently implemented in UE. Not sure, though. Just my guesses.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

When will probe volumes be production ready and itgerated in unity?! Is it possible to have more than one volumes like example if I have building and I have to bake GI for each room differently?? And can I do GI blending with it for doing day and night cycle? And do they have runtime baking?

chadfranklin47 likes this.
  17. koirat

koirat

It is a mandatory feature.

Gooren, Ruchir and Deleted User like this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

19. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

20. sqallpl

sqallpl

Unfortunately it looks like runtime placement/baking is not supported in this version. I'm wondering if it will be added in the future. For now it's not usable with procedurally generated scenes and scenes that are modified at runtime. I'm not talking about instant realtime updates but the ability to edit and bake volumes.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can someone help me to enable probe volumes or point out any documentation because I am not able to find... And does it support baking Enlighten realtime GI?

22. Matjio

Matjio

Unity Technologies

Hi!

@EagleG Probe volumes are experimental in 21.2 and do not support enlighten real-time GI. The first goal is to improve the placement workflow of light probes + proxy volumes and visual quality with pixel based lighting. We are working on documentation and will share as soon as possible.

@sqallpl Probe volumes rely on the Editor baker, so indeed no support for runtime baking of procedural geometry. Something we consider in the future. Only “solution” for now is real-time Raytracing or SSGI in HDRP 21.2 (what platform are you on?).

chadfranklin47 and Deleted User like this.
  23. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Wait, which release that use HDRP 12.2? beta or alpha?

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If so it should be made available to URP as well. Whenever I see something I need from Unity they show HDRP even though it can be done fine in URP as well.

Way to go :/

sacb0y likes this.
  25. sacb0y

sacb0y

Ah I'm glad it's being worked on, stuff like this would help with character rendering a ton and provide a better means to avoid having real-time point lights all over the place.

26. Qleenie

Qleenie

I tried it out a bit. Seems to work good already, especially enhancing SSGI stability by a lot, it actually becomes usable with Probe Volumes.
    But of course, given that it is in preview, it still has bugs, the nastiest one is the virtual offset functionality, which as i understand should prevent probes from being spawned inside geometry. Unfortunately, it seems to do so partly by actually MOVING the geometry in my case, changing the scene;) So I needed to switch this off.
    Will experiment a bit more and see if it still works in builds, as I really would like to use it because of the SSGI impact.
    I also wonder about the performance impact compared to LPPV plus an equivalent amount of light probes, have done no testing yet.

olavrv likes this.
  27. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Has there been any progress on this?

I'm watching the Unite talk about it and it looks promising.

Hopefully it can be used in URP as well.

28. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

It is working in URP too on latest 23.1 :)

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  29. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Am I understanding correctly that the "Light Probe Proxy Volume component" is now compatible with URP Unity 2023.1?

30. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

No, this is about Adaptive Probe Volume system, an alternative light probe system

fuzzy3d likes this.
  31. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

First test: Adaptive Probe Volume system seems to work in URP but not in Meta Quest 2 (Android). This is not a bug report, I just tried...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023