Search Unity

Probably wrong place, ignore

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Meridias561, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Meridias561

Meridias561

I'll just preface this by saying I've only just gotten done with the UI module in the unity pathway so I'm still a total noob at this.

The basic layout of what I'm trying to do is: I'm gonna have a main scene that will handle most of the normal 'management' that the player is going to do in the game. Managing a town, building, making items, equiping npcs and the like. I plan on having 2 or more combat zones where most, if not all, of the combat in the game is going to take place (overland zone, dungeon,etc). Functionally, script and mechanic-wise, there is going to be no difference between the different zones, just different npc groups, tileset and enemies. Each of the combat runs that the player can start are independent of each other, and obviously the player can only look at one at a time.

Now, what I'm trying to work out is how to set the scene(s) up to do that.
    A: Have everything all in one scene and use different camera views.
    B: Have each combat zone in their own scene
    C: Have all the combat zones in 1 scene separate from the main and have different view for each run (overland uses THIS camera, dungeon uses THAT camera)
    D: combat zones all in 1 scene and set 1 view that changes the visual elements for the different runs depending on which one the player wants to look at
    E: None of the above?

Any suggestions? And thank you, in advance.

FYI: Just to give you an idea of how the combat looks, it's going to be a side scroller idle game. NPC group is on the left, enemy group comes in from the right, fightfightfight, repeat.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  2. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Kind of skimmed over the last part there, but let me just jump to one of the best pieces of advice I ever got.

scenes are your friend, use them like crazy everywhere.

like make a scene specifically for your GUI and add it when the player is enabled.

make your menu another scene.

And so on.

it will clear up your window a lot and allow you to focus on things one at a time.

Completely get rid of the idea that a scene is just a level.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Do whatever is easiest for you. Remember that smaller scenes (smaller in terms of content) will load faster. It will probably work better if (for example) you make each combat zone in a separate scene unless you generating them procedurally or something.

Also- a lot of people get the idea that you can only have one scene open at a time, but you can also load a scene "additively" which means you can actually have multiple scenes open at once (Both in the game and in the editor).