Search Unity

probably a problem with graphics card

Discussion in 'Windows' started by FrankBuss, Jan 11, 2015.

1. FrankBuss

FrankBuss

On one computer Unity crashs, maybe because of the graphics card, but I don't know and it shouldn't do it, the game has very minimal requirements.

I sent a bug report last week ( http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?660847_hmauhaqns1mo49kp ) but no response so far. How long does it need until bug reports are processed? This bug delays the release of my game.

2. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

3. FrankBuss

FrankBuss

Yes, it should meet the requirements. It is a laptop and should meet the requirement "generally everything made since 2004 should work". Attached is the "dxdiag" output, because looks like the crash report doesn't have much information about the system. The relevant section from output_log.txt seems to be this:

Attached Files:

4. FrankBuss

FrankBuss

5. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

From the report, I see that integrated graphics card doesn't support shader model 2.0 (and it's a minimum requirement for Unity)....Not sure if it's really true, but you could try updating graphics drivers, maybe that'll help

Also in dxdiag, in Display tab, what graphics card does it show?

6. FrankBuss

FrankBuss

It has an integrated graphics card, AMD HD8330. No idea which shader model, but it is pretty modern, should support 2.0. The laptop was bought in 2014, so drivers should be pretty up to date.

7. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

For some reason, Unity picks GDI Generic renderer device instead... I would strongly suggest to check if there are newer drivers... because this looks like a driver issue.

And, yes you're right AMD HD8330 should be sufficient, it supports shader model 5.0.

8. FrankBuss

FrankBuss

Thanks, you were right, it was the graphics card driver. The tester installed the latest driver and it works. Which is odd, because you would expect from a laptop bought in 2014 that a modern version is already installed, and on this laptop a dozen other more demanding 3D games etc. worked with the old driver. Maybe would be interesting to see why it crashed, because casual gamers usually don't install graphics card drivers, but otherwise you can close the bug report.

9. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

I am glad you had it resolved.

I doubt it's easy fixable from our side, because D3D runtime simply couldn't create a D3D device, that means something went wrong in D3D runtime, and even OpenGL runtime failed and fallbacked to GDI Generic.. but we'll keep an eye for such bugs when we'll have a machine with such specs.