Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Builder : UV2 Breaking

Discussion in 'World Building' started by beelzeboss, May 31, 2018.

1. beelzeboss

beelzeboss

Unity 2018.2.0b4
    Pro Builder 3.0.8

I am currently having an issue with lighmap UVs breaking when working with Pro Builder

to reproduce:

• create a pro builder scene with lights and have clean lightbake data
    • generate UV2 on selection pack margin 32
    • Bake lighting with progressive lightmapper the results should look correct
    • Save and close unity
    • reopen and the lighting is very broken

I have submitted a bug Case 1043945
    It is possibly related to another issue I posted about earlier where I can't disable Auto generate UV2 but I can't be sure.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/probuilder-probuilderpreferences-asset-not-saving.533772/

If I do a bake without manually generating the UV2 the lighting looks correct but there are lots of artifacts which I believe is from a small pack margin.

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Tested in 2018.1 and couldn't repro- trying 2018.2.0b6 right now, will let you know! I'm also using a slightly newer version of PB (3.0.9, just about ready for release on Package Manager).

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Yup, looks fine in 2018.2.0b6 also.

If you are having artifacts without pushing Pack Margin to 32 (that's relatively high, default is 4), there might be something else going on in your scene. Are you able to upload a zip of the scene for me to try out?

4. beelzeboss

beelzeboss

If the updated pro builder is due soon I'll hold off and test in that. I will see if I am able to share the scene it may not be possible due to the project. Do you have an eta for that?

Can I ask if you are able to check disable auto generate UV2 and whether this is enabled?
    Also is it possible to change that default pack margin?
    We have found increasing the pack margin over upping the texture resolution gives us better results without increasing the bake times and potentially adding more lightmaps and draw calls.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  5. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

ETA: Monday/Tuesday perhaps?

UV2 Generation: do you mean the "Enable Auto UV2" checkbox in the UV2 Settings panel, which is opened by alt-clicking the "UV2" icon in the ProBuilder panel? That is enabled, for me yes. Just making sure we are talking about the same thing :)

Change default pack margin: not sure, honestly. Maybe in a Unity settings file?

Increasing pack margin: the only problem with this is, your lightmaps will have less density, since you are putting more blank (unused) space between UV chunks.Kind of like if you were packing to move, and left a lot of space between boxes in the truck...much less efficient than stuffing the boxes close together. (sorry if you already know that :p)

6. beelzeboss

beelzeboss

The pack margin was recommended in a GDC talk by a member of unity where artifacts were getting into bakes. It's a compromise between that or upping the resolution and increasing bake times. We are only a small team so having bakes which are taking hours is not practical. While the UVs will not be as dense it will probably still be more efficient than doubling the texel resolution.

The setting I am referring too is in the unity preferences and is called Disable Auto UV2 generation. It is something we can't currently enable and are wondering if this could be causing as issue with a bug we have. There should be more details in the case number above

7. beelzeboss

beelzeboss

Just an update on this. Unity has been able to reproduce it and it is being sent for resolution