Search Unity

Pro Builder - boolean removed?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by N1warhead, Dec 27, 2019.

1. N1warhead

N1warhead

Are the boolean tools on Pro Builder removed? I can't seem to find them anymore.

hopetolive likes this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

3. N1warhead

N1warhead

4. Blueprinter

Blueprinter

Do we have any updates on this? I started using ProBuilder and was wondering how to set a mesh to subtraction mode. I saw a YouTube video talking about this Boolean feature, but I can't find it in Unity 2019.3.

5. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

They are still present, but you have to first enable "Experimental Features" in the ProBuilder preferences.

6. qq294716498

qq294716498

I want to call the boolean API at runtime

7. Blueprinter

Blueprinter

Thanks! I didn't know Packages could have their own options in the Preferences windows. Now I'm able to access that feature, but I'm getting a StackOverflowException when I try to subtract a cylinder from a cube.

Code (csharp):
    2. StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
    3. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].set_Capacity (System.Int32 value) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    4. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].EnsureCapacity (System.Int32 min) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    5. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].Add (T item) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    6. UnityEngine.ProBuilder.Experimental.CSG.CSG_Plane.SplitPolygon (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.Experimental.CSG.CSG_Polygon polygon, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] coplanarFront, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] coplanarBack, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] front, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] back) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Runtime/MeshOperations/CSG/Classes/CSG_Plane.cs:89)
    7. UnityEngine.ProBuilder.Experimental.CSG.CSG_Node.Build (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] list) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Runtime/MeshOperations/CSG/Classes/CSG_Node.cs:112)
    8. UnityEngine.ProBuilder.Experimental.CSG.CSG_Node.Build (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] list) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@4.2.1/Runtime/MeshOperations/CSG/Classes/CSG_Node.cs:128)
    9. (Repeats last line forever)
    I won't be using this anymore since I've found a different solution for what I needed to do, but hopefully you can take care of this error in the near future.

hopetolive, BrainSlugs83 and JBacal like this.
  8. MlleBun

MlleBun

Blueprinter likes this.
  9. Santiago-Morales

Santiago-Morales

In case someone was wondering how to enable it go to Edit > Preferences and it's under ProBuilder

10. MilenaRocha

MilenaRocha

Anyway I can access to the boolean (CSG) features runtime (API)?

11. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

The ProBuilder interface to these functions is private, but you could simply use the CSG library directly. See https://github.com/karl-/pb_CSG.

On the ProBuilder side, all we're doing is calling into that library and then re-ProBuilderizing the results. Ex,

Code (CSharp):
    1.             UnityEngine.ProBuilder.Csg.Model result;
    3.             switch (operation)
    4.             {
    5.                 case BooleanOperation.Union:
    6.                     result = CSG.Union(lhs.gameObject, rhs.gameObject);
    7.                     break;
    9.                 case BooleanOperation.Subtract:
    10.                     result = CSG.Subtract(lhs.gameObject, rhs.gameObject);
    11.                     break;
    13.                 default:
    14.                     result = CSG.Intersect(lhs.gameObject, rhs.gameObject);
    15.                     break;
    16.             }
    18.             var materials = result.materials.ToArray();
    19.             ProBuilderMesh pb = ProBuilderMesh.Create();
    20.             pb.GetComponent<MeshFilter>().sharedMesh = (Mesh) result;
    21.             pb.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>().sharedMaterials = materials;
    22.             MeshImporter importer = new MeshImporter(pb.gameObject);
    23.             importer.Import(new MeshImportSettings() { quads = true, smoothing = true, smoothingAngle = 1f });
    24.             pb.Rebuild();
    25.             pb.CenterPivot(null);
    26.             Selection.objects = new Object[] { pb.gameObject };

MilenaRocha likes this.
  12. nauroman

nauroman

UnityEngine.ProBuilder.Csg is not acceptable. Is there a way to use CSG.Subtract or somehow get access from c# to ProBuilder boolean API in realtime?

13. CarrySchli

CarrySchli

Is there a way to you use both packages at the same time? Like I get an error when I am importing the CSG package in addition to ProBuilder. (Assembly with name 'Unity.Probuilder.Csg' already exists.)

I am of course aware why the error is triggered but is there also a workaround?

14. Murkes

Murkes

I downloaded the package that @kaarrrllll mentioned and was able to use functions just like the ones provided from Probuilder at runtime as he said. https://github.com/karl-/pb_CSG the github page explains how to use the package and its super straight forward with only a few lines of code. For example you can do things like CSG.Subtract, etc.

You might get errors if you have both the package and probuilder in your project at the same time but I'm sure there are ways to resolve those errors. I personally only needed the CSG package so I didn't have to go down that route.

15. Athomield3D

Athomield3D

This is still a problem.. is there a fix ?

16. factober

factober

I enabled it from preferences. But, when I tried subtracting objects, it crashed the whole Unity 2022.3.

17. EvgenyKralko

EvgenyKralko

Here are the steps to fix "Assembly with name 'Unity.Probuilder.Csg' already exists" issue.
    1. Open your project solution in Visual Studio
    2. Find Unity.Probuilder.Csg project and rename it to Unity.Standalone.Csg for example upload_2024-1-9_18-57-48.png
    3. Open Prabox.CSG.asmdef file and rename Unity.Probuilder.Csg to Unity.Standalone.Csg upload_2024-1-9_18-59-18.png
    4. To fix the same issue for Parabox.CSG.Demo project - open Parabox.CSG.Demo.asmdef file and rename Unity.Probuilder.Csg to Unity.Standalone.Csg

NapalmRain likes this.