Search Unity

PRISM - Realistic All-In-One Post-Processing for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GoGoGadget, Dec 12, 2015.

1. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

If you check out the first page of the PRISM guide, that covers the issue - there's one line of code you'll have to change in the current version to fix the terrain rendering issue, until the next version of PRISM gets submitted. The issue is caused by Unity not correctly handling terrain normals in deferred, and the fix will be automatically applied in the next PRISM update (which will be submitted to the store later today).

2. duencil

duencil

Oh that PRISM guide is much more detailed than the one that came with the latest package. Thanks a lot, and sorry I didnt find my way to it. I see now it was mentioned in the readme. That fix works well.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  3. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v1.5.2 has now been submitted to the asset store, featuring a new Luminance-based AO weighting (so that the AO is applied less on direct light), and a few bugfixes to fog and deferred terrain + AO.

4. scheichs

scheichs

Do you think it's possible to add a cheap (like Unity's) SunShafts/GodRay layer to the image effect stack?

5. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

That would probably be possible, although I'm a bit reticent to add effects which are already quite dated like Unity's sunshafts. If sunshafts were added to PRISM, I'd want to have an implementation which doesn't rely on the shaft caster always being in the frame somewhere, so they'd probably end up being slightly more expensive.
    Later this week or early next week I'll have a chance to do some research and take a look at various implementations.

Pawige likes this.
  6. duencil

duencil

I'd be interested in a sun shaft implementation without that limitation too. Looking forward to it, if you decide its feasible.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  7. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Just submitted a new version of PRISM to the store - v1.5.3, which should go live after approval (usually a couple of days).

Couldn't help myself but do some tinkering today after reading this blog post about filmic grain on GPUOpen. I've gone ahead and implemented a very similar technique, with a few personal touches. You won't need to learn any new settings, and your current PRISM Presets with noise in them will "Just Work" after this change, as per usual.

I've also gone ahead and added a screen-blend mode for LDR bloom users, as requested by a couple of users. This option will only popup if your camera is not set to HDR.

As always, check the google sheets spreadsheet for a full list of changes.

This weekend I'll be doing some more research into different sunshafts methods, to see which ones might be suitable for PRISM.

scheichs likes this.
  8. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Would it be hard for you to add another setting. for use in VR I am looking for a way to fade out the screen. It could be scene loading, some teleport effect etc.

What do you think about a setting to blend the entire screen to a set color. just a value between 0-1.
    It would be nice to not have to add another shader that does a full screen pass.

9. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

It would not be hard, but at this point, PRISM's pretty much reaching the maximum number of shader keywords that it can use whilst still actually compiling, and any effects that I add to PRISM need to be broad use case effects that are (almost always) running 100% of the time while in-game - a screen fade doesn't need to be combined, because it's OK if your loading screen dips ~3fps or so, that sort of effect wouldn't be combined in any game.

scheichs likes this.
  10. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

ok. thanks for the fast reply

11. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

So! Experimented with some different techniques for sunshafts over the weekend, I've decided to go down the simple route for PRISM, since there are already 2 other forum users working on "real" volumetric light solutions ( http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/true-volumetric-lights-now-open-source.390818/ and http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/dynamic-volumetric-lighting-replacement.379041/ ).

Still needs some tweaks before release, but here's the sunshafts in action:
    https://gfycat.com/FarPaltryHogget
    https://gfycat.com/AptSlimyAgouti
    https://gfycat.com/SparklingSinfulAndeancockoftherock

They're pretty similar to what you're used to if you're using Unity's sunshafts effects, but they perform 15% better at equivalent settings, and are more stable than Unity's.

As well as that, as per request, I've gone ahead and added an option to blur edges when using the chromatic aberration effect, to keep it in line with what other lens distortion effects are doing at the moment. Again, still some final touches to put on, but it should get submitted to the asset store by the end of this week.

scheichs, jimmikaelkael and montyfi like this.
  12. gecko

gecko

Does PRISM work on WebGL?

13. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Unfortunately not, I've tested it, and Unity's WebGL export at the moment is severely limited - effects in PRISM that would compile fine on ShaderToy (and effects that work on SM3 mobiles) simply don't work in Unity's WebGL. If I was developing a game for WebGL right now, I would use forward/gamma and as few PostFX as possible, to keep everything nice and fast.

14. duencil

duencil

Sunshafts look good, when you say the simple route, do you mean the caster does have to be in the frame? It wasnt clear that was the case in the visuals.

Now, first try running on PS4 I'm getting several warnings:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PrismKinoObscurance' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PrismKinoObscurance' - Setting to default shader.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PrismEffectsSecondary' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PrismEffectsSecondary' - Setting to default shader.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PrismEffects' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PrismEffects' - Setting to default shader.​

And then a bit later an error:

Prism is not supported on this platform, or you have a shader compilation error somewhere. Disabling.
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log(LogType, String, Object)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
    UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    PrismEffects:CreateMaterials()
    PrismEffects:OnRenderImage(RenderTexture, RenderTexture)
    Any ideas?

15. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Yep, for the sunshafts, the shafts caster does have to be in the frame.

Now, with that error, that looks like it's probably something simple, because obviously, all PRISM shaders do have a vertex shader. I know the Xbox One doesn't like Unicode encoding for shaders, and in order to get PRISM to work there, you have to save the PRISM shader files under Western European (Windows) 1252 encoding (or something similar), maybe try changing that around and let me know how you go.

16. duencil

duencil

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried saving out the .shader and .cginc files with Windows 1252 encoding, but no change. I also tried changing any fragment shaders that were writing colour from specifying COLOR to SV_Target, which is one of a few recommendations in the PS4 unity shader notes, but no luck. I'm not even sure that the error is related to the warnings. It's odd theres not more console output.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

17. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hmm... Just wondering what would be specific to PS4 (since PRISM does work on Xbone/WiiU) that may be causing this. I don't have a devkit of course, so I can only really take guesses as to what that might be. What might be helpful is if you could try and dump a whole heap of other Post-Processing effects on your camera (Unity Image Effects, any others you might have from the asset store) and see if any of those have the same error.

The only vaguely relevant thing I could find on google was https://shaderforge.userecho.com/to...a-not-to-be-confused-with-playstation-mobile/ - although PRISM's vertex structures already use SV_Position, and if you've already tried changing the : COLOR semantic to : SV_Target, then they should just work.

Let me know how you go with just throwing a bunch of PostFX onto your camera, and seeing which ones compile/which don't, depending on how that goes, I'll try changing the semantics myself and send you over a version to test, and we can go from there.

18. duencil

duencil

those shader notes you found contain the same suggestions Sony provide. I applied them to fix another postFX asset https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3590 But that one didnt produce a shader compilation error, at least nothing was reported on the console, before it was fixed It just rendered the screen in black. I'm trying some other postFX now, I'll inform you by private conversation when I get something to report, to not clutter up this thread more.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  19. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Today PRISM v 1.6 has been submitted to the asset store!

As well as adding compatibility for PS4 (thanks @duencil for helping test it out!), 1.6 adds the new Sunshafts/Godrays feature to PRISM. Previously, when I was testing the godrays, that performance gain I mentioned of 20% vs standard Unity godrays was incorrect. That number was for a standalone version of the effect, without integration into PRISM.

Now that I've finished integrating the effect into PRISM, the godrays, when used with Bloom, are able to share a number of extra passes, and cost 1/3 the frame time of Unity's godrays in equivalent quality (0.2ms vs 0.6ms @ 900p).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  20. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Minor nitpick on your comparison stat: you should say that your godrays are ~67% faster than Unity's. The only way you could be even 100% faster if if your godrays took 0ms. You could also say that Unity's godrays are 300% as expensive as yours (or 200% more expensive).

Still an impressive technical feat, to be sure. :)

21. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Hi,
    How does Prism work with proper gamma space workflow?
    Does it set an S curve as the last filter before output?

I usually, put a 2.2 gamma (or .4545) as a last cc filter on the camera, as everyone should,
    but I notice a lot of "other" effect plugins assumes that you are already working in sRGB and tweak their settings incorrectly, which annoys the hell out of me.

22. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Good call, after a day of coding shaders I was a bit mathed out :p Fixed the description!

PRISM does have the option to apply a gamma filter at the end of the PostFX chain, although now that you've brought it up, I actually think that it might be only available when tonemapping, which is obviously not ideal - I'll make sure the next update separates it from Tonemapping.
    Overall though, all of PRISMs effects work well in Gamma space, for instance, the color correction effect will automatically detect if you're in gamma space, and apply the correct algorithm accordingly.

Edit screenshot of PRISM in Gamma/LDR vs off:
    On (Settings not perfectly tweaked ofc, you could add a different LUT if you wanted)

Off

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Acissathar, Fera_KM and chiapet1021 like this.
  23. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v1.6 is now live on the Asset Store, with PS4 support, new godrays, edge blur, performance improvements, and more! As always, check the patchnotes here for a full rundown.

scheichs and montyfi like this.
  24. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

So, actually have some good news/a bit of an update on PRISM's WebGL compatibility, a user emailed me last week, and I've been able to take a closer look at WebGL and PRISM.

Through the use of some of Unity's builtin shader compilation defines, the next PRISM update will now have functionality on SM2.0 and WebGL. Now, certain bits of shader code in PRISM check whether they're compiling for a <SM3 platform (so WebGL or really really really old mobiles), and strip features accordingly. The end result of this is a slightly stripped down version of PRISM that runs like a dream on WebGL, from my early tests.

Due to inherent SM2.0 limitations related to instruction limits, and lack of support for things like 3D textures, PRISM in 2.0 will have this subset of features:
    • Bloom
    • Tone mapping & gamma correction
    • Exposure Adaptation
    • Noise
    • Vignette
    • Chromatic Aberration
    Which I'm pretty happy with, the only other effect which may come in the future is AO, but it's not working on WebGL yet, and debugging WebGL shaders (from what I can see) is terribly slow, with no frame debugging tools that I know of, and 1 LoC change in the shader requiring a full WebGL recompile, which takes ages.

Later this week I'll be experimenting with a change to PRISM's DoF that might lead to some really cool stuff (eg. a potentially free 'blur-behind-UI' effect), so around this weekend is when I'm planning to submit this update to the store.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    montyfi likes this.
  25. gecko

gecko

Wow, that's great!!

GoGoGadget and MyGenericUsername like this.
  26. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v1.7 has been submitted (pending approval) to the Asset Store!

It's another big update for PRISM, with WebGL compatibility, a new Blur-Behind-UI shader that utilises shared passes for an (almost) free blur effect, and a new bloom combination method that is a big step up.

Blur-Behind-UI shader:

Old (v1.6 and lower) PRISM Bloom combination method for Luminance & Stochastic bloom (note the box artifacts up the top, which are even more visible in motion):

New method, with smoother handling of threshold, and no more 'box' artifacts when using high intensity:

The new bloom method was actually necessitated by PRISM's Blur-Behind-UI toggle, so I'm happy I was able to knock out 2 birds with one stone there. The way PRISM's UI Blur shader works is by reading from a global shader texture set aside by PRISM when PRISM is performing blur passes on the Bloom texture, which makes it essentially cost a single texture read.
    Even if you don't have the "Use UI Blur" checkbox ticked in PRISM's bloom options, the UI Blur shader will fallback to a very nice, single-pass blur, which is still quite fast (ie. unnoticeable on PC/consoles unless you're blurring the whole screen with it).

As always, any store ratings or feedback (positive or negative) for PRISM are appreciated, I'm always looking to ensure that PRISM is the best choice for a production-ready all-in-one PostFX pipeline in Unity.

27. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v1.7 is now live! With WebGL Compatibility, a builtin Blur-Behind-UI effect that takes advantage of PRISM's bloom to share passes, and more. As always, check out the patchnotes here.

28. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

29. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM can effectively already do what that does, minus the fancy sharpen. From just looking at it, it seems like it has a different sharpen filter, but that's about it.

I'll see if I can throw together a video tutorial sometime this week on how to achieve that sort of effect with PRISM, but basically, you'd use LUT, tonemapping (probably with ACES and some values tweaked to get the contrast enhance), gamma correction for brightness, filmic grain set very low to reduce banding, and then PRISM's hidden sharpen toggle.

Sharpen is always done in a separate pass; it can't be combined, so PRISM should work with this effect just fine.

30. magique

magique

This looks like just what I need. I have several different post processing effects packages and I use a few stacked effects from them here and there and they don't cause too big of a hit. But whenever I add all the effects that I would like that's when performance just suffers too much and I have to ditch some of them. This combined approach seems to be the way to go. I am primarily developing on the Wii U and I see that you say it works on the Wii U. Is this confirmed by actual Wii U developers?

31. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Yep, any platform that PRISM is listed as supporting has been confirmed by at least one developer on that platform. PRISM has been tested on the WiiU by @scheichs, who last reported:

"And another remark: I haven't tested all functionality right now, but the effects stated in my first message worked flawlessly on Wii U. E.g. Scion has mirrored image when no other Unity PP-effect is enabled. Prism works out-of-box and your Tooltips are also quite helpful!"

If you run into any issues with certain effects on the WiiU or other platforms (not that you should), I'll be more than happy to work with you and try to fix them.
    I'd definitely recommend PRISM if you're using a stack of the same effects that are present in PRISM, particularly on a console like the WiiU where you don't have much performance to play with.

magique likes this.
  32. shreyasrivas

shreyasrivas

I am using gcm with appodeal in my app and when I am sending the push notification the for the first push was successful but phone is not receiving the notification and after that error is there while sending push that device is not register. What to do in this situation please help me.

33. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Think you might have the wrong thread?

34. scheichs

scheichs

Just as a remark for Wii U: I haven't tested all effects... "only" bloom, dof, vignette, grain and only LDR camera. I achieved around 45FPS on 720p, with a comparable Unity stack of effects I got around 20-25FPS and (to my taste) worse look. I didn't have the time to do a lot of testing and parameter tuning since I'm in a release schedule. GoGoGadget was very responsive and he implemented my suggested/requested features (this should be no wildcard for feature requests now ;) ) in NO TIME! In my opinion this is the optimal package to go for Wii U PP because it's the most complete and very suitable for LDR cameras also.
    Just as a remark: I have also Scion, which does a fantastic job too and is also nearly as fast as Prism. But the integrated god rays and better support for LDR bloom (both effects come "on top" to the Scion PP) give PRISM an edge over Scion, especially on Wii U.

magique and GoGoGadget like this.
  35. punk

punk

@GoGoGadget hey bro this looks cool, does it support Amplify Color luts?

36. duencil

duencil

Updated today. Really liking the look of the godrays in our game. I'm finding I can happily disable the bloom effect when I have them active, though from your user guide I get the impression theres little performance benefit from that.

I'm experimenting with hdr deferred linear lighting for the first time, trying to get the look right. Any advice? So far I'm finding I have to bump up the intensity of my lights and ambient, and your Exposure Adaptation option is essential to avoid everything getting washed out.

And gamma correction is only for the gamma workflow, from what I read above, right?

37. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Edit: see post below PRISM supports the standard LUT format used by Chromatica/Unity's builtin LUT color correction/Colorful FX, which is 256x16px, it looks like Amplify Color uses a 1024x32 ratio LUT for whatever reason, which needs to be flipped vertically to be used by PRISM.

Great, they do still perform extremely well without bloom, so that's to be expected.

The key in hdr/linear lighting is to get the tonemapping right - that's where you should try maybe changing a few values (I recommend ACES, make sure you check 'view advanced values' and play around) until everything's looking good there. Without tonemapping, your scene just won't look right. You shouldn't really need to use gamma correction or rely on eye adaptation when using tonemapping either, since the values in the tonemapping effect should be enough.
    Let me know how it goes! Definitely planning to get some tutorials out this week as well.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  38. punk

punk

Ah Ok I bought prism in hopes of replacing scion which does use amplify color luts, do you have any idea how I could go about converting them?

GoGoGadget likes this.
  39. punk

punk

@GoGoGadget

Also Just checked asset store for colourful fx and chromatica, both have been deprecated. What do you use for creating luts?

40. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Ah, I haven't updated chromatica in a while, I use that. Let me have a look tomorrow to see what I can do - whether it be converting amplify LUTs to the standard format, or a rewrite to support both kinds of LUTs - I'll keep everyone up to date in this thread.

punk likes this.
  41. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

So, good news! Turns out that PRISM does support all Amplify Color LUTs, all you have to do is flip them vertically in photoshop/Paint.NET/Any other image editing program, and they will "Just Work". Initially I thought it might've been to do with their LUT's size, but that wasn't the case. Also, make sure any LUTs you use have the same import settings as the provided demo LUTs.

Also, for those wanting a script to create LUTs, the new Cinematic Image Effects "Tonemapping Color Grading" component is essentially the old Chromatica, and can be used to create LUTs (although you still need to flip them vertically) get it for free from here. I personally wouldn't recommend using that component in-game though, as it has about 3x the shader instructions of PRISM's color grading LUT, and is quite a bit slower :)

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    punk likes this.
  42. punk

punk

nice one ;)

43. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Has anyone used this and Scion? How do the two compare?

44. punk

punk

It has a lot more settings than Scion which is good, there's a lot of creative control I think and performance is pretty much the same in my tests on a 980TI. I would say the only thing I don't like so far is the bloom, now that's not to say it's bad, but with scion's bloom you can crank it up a lot higher without it looking odd and to me it looks more organic/smoother, but that could be more of a taste thing I think.

I do recommend it tho, there's a learning curve, but there was with scion also, some things I prefer like the DOF and the Tone mapping also its a bit more flexible tho a little more complex. I find it a little heavy on the keywords usage, something to bear i mind, but I'm using alloy and a few others, so my keyword count is fairly large anyway

I've been looking at my game through scion for some time, so it will be hard to move on, but this is defiantly a solid plugin and i think with a few tweaks over time will make it pretty awesome.

Saying that I've only had one attempt so I'm still learning really and @GoGoGadget will no doubt be doing more to it, which is why I looked at it in the first place, he seem's super responsive and very approachable.

here's a pic of my game 'The Last Vampire' using Prism

@GoGoGadget in depth review coming soon I've got a few suggestions if you don't mind :)

makeshiftwings and GoGoGadget like this.
  45. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

That's looking great, love the atmosphere in it!
    Looking forward to your review as well - I'm always looking for ways to improve PRISM, and even things like the Bloom, I am sort of aware of myself - at the moment, it requires a bit too much 'magic tweaking' of the inspector values to get the right look, and some of the sliders have ranges outside of what should really be used. The other annoying thing with Bloom is, I can't really do the layered HDR bloom that Scion uses without dropping LDR support, which I think quite a few people are still using for games on less powerful platforms (WebGL/WiiU/Mobile).

46. Gametyme

Gametyme

Do you plan to make a converter for this?

punk likes this.
  47. punk

punk

Thanks bro,

with the HDR bloom, one suggestion would be to do like scion's author did with his tone mapping and have 2 versions in the package, an LDR version and an HDR version. I think if you are going to call the package 'REALISTIC all in one post processing for unity', it needs addressing.

You're likely to have a few visitors from the scion thread, as the author is not really working on it much these day's, But a few of these people are very likely to be artist's working on high end PC games, beauty will be important

if you want to pickup some extra customers, this is the thing I would fix first, if you can get that right I think you would be heading in the right direction.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  48. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Didn't plan to, since it takes < 10 seconds to convert a LUT in something like Paint.NET, and most games only use 2 LUTs anyway.
    With that said, I figure I'll probably run into this question a bit in the future, so I've gone ahead and added that into the next release as a one-click button in the PRISM inspector.

Actually, just thinking, I could probably deprecate the "Stochastic" bloom feature (since I don't really think anyone uses it) in the next version, and replace it with a super simple, "Layered" bloom option which is HDR-only, and only has one slider for its intensity, and keep the rest auto-tuned like Sonic Ether's bloom. I'll experiment around with it this week.

Gametyme and punk like this.
  49. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

So as it turns out, it's really really easy to make layered bloom. This is the difference, in HDR, after me throwing together a layered bloom in 20 minutes:

Layered:

Old:

Layered:

Old:

Layered:

Old:

Perf is actually almost the same as the old bloom as well, since it uses the hyper-optimized gaussian blur that the chromatic effect uses. In fact, I'll make the chromatic effect share this bloom's blur texture, so it will actually perform better than the old effect if you're also using Chomatic Aberration with edge blur!

rrahim and punk like this.
  50. punk

punk

can't wait to try it ;)