Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PRISM - Realistic All-In-One Post-Processing for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GoGoGadget, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello guys! We want to invite you our new teaser of The End of the Sun game announcing Kickstarter campaign where we use PRISM :)
    If you are interested in, add your email here. https://www.endofsun.com/crowdfunding/

GoGoGadget likes this.
  2. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Very excited to show off PRISM's upcoming new HDRP support today! Now that Unity's API has finally stabilized somewhat, PRISM now has an experimental beta that is working in 2019 HDRP. Currently, not all effects are implemented, but now that some are, it should be relatively easier to continue adding the rest from the stack.

A quick sneak peek:

Very early testing also seems to indicate that Unity did a good job with the HDRP custom post-processing backend (finally), with approx ~15% CPU time reduction vs. equivalent PRISM effects on the old legacy render pipeline from my testing. Once all effects from PRISMv3 are in, I'll be posting some stats.

For those that want early access to this beta version (and currently hold a PRISMv3 key) - PM me! Excited to release this one, and continue PRISM's legacy as the longest-supported single all-in-one post-processing solution for Unity!

Flurgle likes this.
  3. TaylorMonkeyAl

TaylorMonkeyAl

Recently purchased this package and am getting multiple shader errors on Import, and a black screen in the Demo. We're on Unity 2019.2.20f1, iOS:

Shader error in 'Prism/UI/PrismUIBlur_Brightness': failed to open source file: 'Assets/PRISM/Shaders/Prism.cginc' at line 31 (on glcore)

Shader error in 'Hidden/PRISMStackEffects': incorrect number of arguments to numeric-type constructor at Assets/PRISMV3/Resources/PRISMLensDefects.hlsl(155) (on glcore)

Shader error in 'Hidden/PRISMStack': incorrect number of arguments to numeric-type constructor at Assets/PRISMV3/Resources/PRISMLensDefects.hlsl(155) (on glcore)

Shader error in 'Hidden/PRISMBokeh': incorrect number of arguments to numeric-type constructor at Assets/PRISMV3/Resources/PRISMLensDefects.hlsl(155) (on glcore)

Shader error in 'Hidden/PRISMAO': incorrect number of arguments to numeric-type constructor at Assets/PRISMV3/Resources/PRISMAO.hlsl(446) (on glcore)

Pretty surprised at all the errors on install, and seems Assets/PRISM/Shaders/Prism.cginc (or anything that resembles it) isn't in the package.

We're evaluating several post-process packages for our titles and Prism v3 seemed to be a leading candidate based on its descriptions and our needs. We're especially interested in the bloom, DOF, and lens effects, but it's the only one that doesn't actually work out of the box. Can I get some help with this?

Another question:

Does Prism V2 function without Unity's Postprocess Stack v2? We find that the stack itself adds 3 ms on costly buffer management alone on an iPhone X, which ends up being 5-6 ms just for a bloom effect. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  4. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hi Taylor,

First step which can often fix some "Failed to open source file" errors - you can just reimport the package, or remove that single erroring UI shader (it won't affect the rest of PRISM). Although PRISMv3 has been tested on 2019.1 on mobile, I'm not aware of any users in production using iOS/GLCore + 2019.2. Unfortunately one of the realities of developing PostFX across Unity now, with all 3 different 2019 versions and 3 different render pipelines requiring a huge number of variants of compatibility to be tested, unlike all previous versions. I can confirm PRISMv3 works on Android, but iOS specific errors I've always offered custom support to work through as I do not have an iOS device I can do test builds to. Thankfully all of those are very simple errors to fix.

I'll PM you a version that fixes all those errors now - they're actually moreso an overaggressive compiler warning.

For all other PRISM users, I've also uploaded this version with the fix to the Asset Store.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  5. Yakuzza

Yakuzza

I'm looking for a good post-processing solution that works well with the HDRP renderer. I can't wait for the stable release!
    Also, is it possible to control the effects (DOF in particular) via timeline?

6. TaylorMonkeyAl

TaylorMonkeyAl

I've tried reimporting several times but it didn't work for me. The .cginc is simply not in the package.

Using the new updated package, I'm getting this error instead:

Shader error in 'Hidden/PRISMStack': 'tex3D': no matching 2 parameter intrinsic function; Possible intrinsic functions are: tex3D(sampler3D, float3|half3|min10float3|min16float3) tex3D(sampler3D, float3|half3|min10float3|min16float3, float3|half3|min10float3|min16float3, float3|half3|min10float3|min16float3) at line 122 (on glcore)

These errors show up simply importing in Unity, set to iOS, before actually performing a build. The Prism_Demoscene still displays a black screen with Prism enabled.

To answer your message, we're using "legacy" or built-in pipeline on Unity 2019.2.20f1. We may upgrade Unity versions but will be sticking to built-in pipeline.

Following up on my previous question:

Does Prism V2 function without Unity's Postprocess Stack v2? We find that the stack itself adds 3 ms on costly buffer management alone on an iPhone X, which ends up being 5-6 ms just for a bloom effect. Thanks!

7. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

I haven't tested out through timeline, but the effects are setup using Unity's standard practices for Post-Processing, that has been one of the goals for PRISMv3 (and v2) - so if Unity's works with Timeline, PRISM's *should* by default.

I've just had this error reported by another user as well, we have narrowed down a fix which has been tested in builds and is now uploaded to the asset store pending review - PM me if you need it sooner.

On your previous question, PRISMv2 is 100% integrated with Unity's Post-Processing stack, and was designed to work well with both Unity's and other 3rd party effects for the legacy rendering pipeline. If I'd had known how heavy their stack was when I first implemented it I probably would've gone down a different route, but for now, it's something that everyone using Unity post-pro basically has to deal with if you're on a modern version - worth noting PRISMv1 doesn't rely on the stack and works in Unity 2018 perfectly well. Thankfully HDRP solves this.

8. SteveJ

SteveJ

Hey - hoping you might be able to give me some tips. Purchased and installed v3 into my project. I have Unity Post Processing imported. After import of PRISM though, I get the following when opening the project, and a constant error in the Console. I tried the reimport like it suggests, but that didn't fix anything. Any idea how to clear these errors now?

Note - if I click "Retry" on the first one, it just repeats the same thing. If I click "Continue" it loads into the project but with the Console error shown.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

EDIT: Found another clue - if I launch Package Manager, I have this. No idea what this is, what it means, etc in the context of installing PRISM though.

Capture3.PNG

EDIT2: Just tried to install PRISMv3 into a blank project and I end up with the same issue. What am I missing?

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  9. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hey Steve, uploading a new package now - 99% sure that was just the wrong checkbox checked during the last asset store upload (must've had 'use dependancies' on). PRISM does not require any UI packages. Shoot me a PM with your Unity version and I'll send you the version when I get it so you don't have to wait for asset store approval time.

As a broader update, this weekend the beta of PRISM's HDRP version will be going live on the asset store also, for people to play around with. As is always the case when having to (essentially) rewrite every file, there's been some temptation to further iterate on some effects, but I'm aiming to keep these early versions closer to feature/performance-parity of the current legacy renderer PRISMv3.

10. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM's camera & lens effects are just about all running on HDRP after some more work this weekend. I'll be pushing this version to the Asset Store for those that want to try out what is essentially a beta - assuming everyone who's using HDRP will be fine with that since HDRP itself is very much in a beta stage, after having worked with it for a few weeks now!

Currently, Chromatic Aberration doesn't work and the bloom will change, but all of the above effects in the "PRISMHDRP_STACK" component, including bloom, are done in just 2 passes.

All of the above effects (not including bloom) take 0.616ms at 1080p on a Fury X (fairly close to the low end of what you'd be targeting if you're running on HDRP), vs. 0.618ms for the compute-based HDRP 7.3 stack, which doesn't actually include sharpening. So, very much on par, with the added benefit of taking one less fullscreen pass because PRISM's exposure is done in the Uber pass, unlike Unity's.

Next up on the TODO is a rework of NNAO, to both make it compatible with the HDRP stack, and a lot more usable in tough scenes with lots of fine edges and movement.

11. sacb0y

sacb0y

Awesome! will you be targeting URP after HDRP?

The lack of SSAO in URP is extremely unfortunate DX

Also thanks for making a version with PPS support.

12. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

I would love for PRISM to support URP yes, as it seems that will (hopefully...) be one of the only 2 supported render pipelines in Unity in the future. Right now though, I can only recommend that users purchase PRISM for the pipelines that it currently works on, HDRP and legacy. I am focused on making sure that where PRISM does support a pipeline, it takes full advantage of it and is deeply integrated, vs. just trying to get it to 'work' on everything and calling it a day.

The simple fact is, if Unity announced that there would be no breaking API changes to Post-Processing in URP for the next 24 months (aka: they said "yeah it's stable now and won't change, we're happy with it") then I would say go and buy PRISM for URP right now because it will 100% be supported for that period of time.

13. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Quick tutorial on how to get PRISMv3 HDRP setup, now that the build is awaiting approval by the Asset Store!

14. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

15. Yakuzza

Yakuzza

Instant buy!

I imported it to the test project in Unity 2019.4, standard renderer, but I can't see the Prism effects in post-processing list. upload_2020-6-24_12-22-45.png
    I've imported both Post Processing and HDRP, because otherwise the Prism scripts won't compile.
    But I've noticed that PRISMresources doesn't have any script attached to it. Maybe that's the problem?
    upload_2020-6-24_12-25-46.png

16. GarrettF

GarrettF

Hi, I bought PrismV3 the other day, super excited to get it up and running.

I'm using HDRP 7.4.1 with Unity 2019.3.6f1 and I can't seem to get the HDRP folder to import. So I can't actually get the HDRP asset to use Prism. Is there a certain version of Unity that I need to update to in order for the HDRP version to work?

17. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Apologies, this is my error, when uploading the first PRISM HDRP package I thought that an HDRP checkbox I checked would ensure it only got imported to HDRP projects like other Asset Store versioning works, that was incorrect and I have just uploaded a new version that includes both PRISMv3 Legacy + HDRP in the same package (HDRP now requires you to unpack a second Unitypackage however). I will DM you the version so you can use it immediately, for any others affected, until the asset store approves the new package, you can get the same PRISMv3 Legacy renderer package from Unity 2019.1 or .2 and just import into .3.

The new package should make installation easier, to summarize:
    1. Download the new package, import into your HDRP project on 2019.3/4
    2. Delete the existing "Scripts" folder in PRISM (as these are scripts for PPV2)
    3. Then import the PRISMv3_HDRP .unitypackage that is included
    Unity's asset store guidelines say that we have to have a demo scene that "just works" out of the box, otherwise I wouldn't need to include the delete step and could just have everyone choose their package right after import :/

18. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Exciting times, after much tinkering, PRISMv3's new Bloom effect is ready to roll out to the HDRP version. PRISM's new bloom departs almost completely from standard bloom methods, and offers a 5-texture HDR Bloom in less than 10 passes, complete with more colour & threshold control than any other bloom technique.

To give everyone a run-down of the effect, and compare it to the default HDRP bloom, I've done up a quick video:

For those that want an early access version, shoot me a PM, otherwise it will be submitted to the next version of PRISM on the Asset Store.

19. tntfoz

tntfoz

Hi @GoGoGadget a quick question: does PRISM support layer masks so I can exclude the UI layer from any of its effects?

I don't want to use a separate camera just for the UI for performance reasons.

I have an older version of PRISM (v2.4.1) but can't find any info regarding layer masks. Unfortunately my project is still in Unity 2018.4.8 which isn't supported by your latest PRISM version (v3).

Out of curiosity though, does PRISM v3 still support the built-in pipeline and would it be possible for you to back port it to Unity 2018? Does v3 support layer masks (if the version I have does not)?

Thanks!

20. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

So, to answer in order:
    • PRISM (since PRISMv2) "Supports" layer masks in the exact same way that the builtin Post-Processing stack (on both Legacy, and HDRP renderer) does. So if they support what you're trying to do, PRISM will too. I can't answer with certainty as I've never tried to mask out a world-space UI but in general if you're trying to get too tricky it's probably not a bad idea to see if you can just go back to screen-space UI rendered on its own. You should not be concerned about performance for this, it really is not a performance issue having a UI camera, even on low-end mobile if your UI is setup correctly.
    PRISMv3 does support the builtin pipeline and should work on Unity 2018, although due to the incredible amount of support surfaces now (which even Unity have acknowledged) it's not feasible to officially 'support' 2017 & 2018 for me (Unity don't even support 2017 or 2018 updates to their Post-Processing stack, and they've got 50 post-processing developers on payroll!). So your best bet is to just import it to 2019 and copy/paste the folders over.

While I'm here, this weekend a new version of PRISMv3.HDRP will be pinged up to the asset store, with added bloom + new ChromAb + Lens Distortions working in it.

tntfoz likes this.
  21. tntfoz

tntfoz

Thanks for getting back to me.

The problem with UI on a different camera is when it comes to applying AA - I have to do it on each camera if I want to use TAA or FXAA. I have a HUD in game with angled panels so the AA is really needed, and MSAA is unfortunately too costly.

I'll have a look at your suggestions above though to see if they help thanks!

Another question: how come you deprecated support for Sun/God rays in PRISM? The Unity implementation is pretty costly so PRISM being able to handle these would have been great.

22. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Makes sense! There are also other ways you may be able to fix that with a more specific UI shader that does some bicubic supersampling, but I'll leave that up to you :)

Regarding Sun/God rays being deprecated in PRISMv3 HDRP - as you mentioned, Unity now have an implementation. PRISM's was there when there was no inbuilt effect to do it. Since proper godrays in HDRP is actually now an effect that needs knowledge of the lighting of the scene (ie. scene sky color/exposure etc) - it makes more sense for it to be handled by the 'lighting' system as opposed to the post-processing system.

As an aside, PRISMv3 v 3.4 has been uploaded to the asset store pending approval, main changelog:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. HDRP improvements:
    2. -Added new bloom & new bloom threshold LUTs
    3. -Added all working lens aberration effects and added new chromatic aberration effect
    4. -Improved performance with multiple multi_compile defines added when toggling effects
    5. -Multiple in-editor error fixes

tntfoz likes this.
  23. tntfoz

tntfoz

Thanks again for your very informative answers!

GoGoGadget likes this.
  24. asger60

asger60

Does Prism v3 support URP at this moment? It's a little bit hard to read from the asset store description.

AlejMC likes this.
  25. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

No, at the moment PRISM only supports HDRP and Legacy. URP is being worked on but you should not purchase PRISM for URP right now.

AlejMC likes this.
  26. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

A subset of PRISM features are now working on Unity 2020.2.3 in URP! More to follow.

Pawige, AlejMC and NeatWolf like this.
  27. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Another update on PRISM.URP: Many features are being reworked and improved for this major update, including PRISM's lens distortion pipeline.

PRISM's new lens distortion much more closely mimics the traits of real-life lenses - in particular, the vintage lenses which I collect as a hobby.

One example of this is PRISM.URP's new Petzval Distortion feature, which mimics a characteristic found on lenses like the famous Helios-44 and contributes to a "swirly" look of the image.This is not currently achievable with any other Post-Processing system for Unity, and being fully built-in to PRISM's main pass, is highly optimized.

28. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Update for everyone! PRISM for URP's new bloom is now working, and working beautifully. Here's an example of it with and without the newly built stability feature, which in effect changes every element of the bloom pipeline to introduce stability.

I intend to release PRISM's URP version as a whole new asset on the Asset Store - versioning is simply much easier that way and will help me provide support to users faster by instantly knowing what render pipeline/effect they are using, and sales make it easier for me to decide where to focus new effects between URP, builtin, and HDRP versions of PRISM.

A question for any existing (or prospective) PRISM users out there, would you also prefer single effects to be sold? IE: PRISM's Bloom, Color Correction, Lens Distortions? The price for these would be around $5 each, for URP.

29. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

For those who aren't aware, PRISM's URP version is out on the Asset Store as a new asset - CUPP - Cinematic URP Post-Processing, basically re-written from the ground up to support URP: http://u3d.as/2sUf

PRISM is still the asset to use if you're using HDRP or builtin, and will be getting some of the benefits created whilst developing CUPP (such as the new LUT suite) in future updates!

NeatWolf likes this.
  30. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

Just purchased prism, but i am running into an issue. I am using hdrp in 2021.1.16 and taking advantage of the dynamic resolution to gain a bit of performance. my idea was to use prism mainly for its sharpen effect to hide the downsampled resolution and this works great. my problem lies with trying to use the PrismHDRP_Stack. if I have the intensity of the stack to 1 with dynamic resolution on, prism seems to mess up somewhere and the resulting image is stretched larger than the screen (i only end up seeing a portion of what should be displayed). using the stack without dynamic resolution works fine. I looked in the docs and even searched these forums to try and find a solution but wasnt able to. any solutions?

reproduce:
    -in hdrp enable dynamic resolution in the hdrenderpipelineasset
    -enable "force screen percentage" and set the percentage to something like 75
    -toggle the intensity in the prismhdrp_stack between 0 and 1

31. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hi, thanks for the report - I know Unity have been tweaking some bits of their dynamic resolution code to get it ready for AMD FSR, I'll take a look tonight at what the issue could be here and come back to you!

32. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

i was experimenting in 2021.2 beta with dlss and the sharpen + stack both run into the same issue as i posted above. i know you probably dont plan on supporting a beta version of the asset and will wait for further releases so im not really expecting anything in regards to that, just a heads up.

i can see the sharpen feature of this asset being big for dlss, the performance gain from being able to render at a lower resolution + the clarity it gives is amazing. sharpen would enhance dlss further. heres a quick side by side. sharpen would really help the dlss version in my opinion to make the details on the character pop a bit more in this case. the visual hit that the dlss version takes is minor, yet i go from 95 fps to 140fps

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  33. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

I actually downloaded 2021.2 beta to quickly take a look as I would like to support it, from my quick tests I see that sharpen does (seem) to function as is but as per your repro case, adding in the main PRISM stack causes an issue.

So, I spent a bit of time effectively rewriting Unity's dynamic res into the PRISM stack and it now works with dynamic resolution! I'll aim to upload this version as soon as a release build of 2021.2 comes out. Thanks for the report!

34. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

awesome, i look forward to the release build of 2021.2 to try it out

GoGoGadget likes this.
  35. manfromspace

manfromspace

Is this assets fully optimised for mobile?
    Does it uses unity post processing or some other alternative?
    Thinking of buying it for android game which needs post processing but because of performance issues cant use that!

GoGoGadget likes this.
  36. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM is tested on and works very well on midrange Android devices (builtin pipeline), but note that if you are using URP, you should purchase Cinematic URP Post-Processing instead. The main advantage of PRISM vs. builtin Unity post-processing is that you have a lot more granular control over what effects actually do.

You can, for instance, fall back to a simple "Mobile" single-texture bloom for your lower end devices, whilst keeping higher end devices on the now-standard layered HDR bloom.

37. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hey all!

Question for those using/planning to use PRISM on Unity 2021.2 and above - what render pipeline are you planning to use between the two supported RP's of PRISM (HDRP + Built-In)?

For context: Really looking to see if anyone is building (new) projects on built-in anymore - this will help focus new effect development.

38. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

A new version of PRISM has been uploaded to the store pending review, with full 2021.2 support, and an update to PRISM HDRP to support variable resolution on all effects.

39. Auraion

Auraion

Hello! I'm strongly considering purchasing this for HDRP (2020.3 LTS), and I just wanted to know if NNAO is working in HDRP, or if not, that it's planned for the future.
    Unity's default HDRP AO is good but quite diffuse, it could do with some complementing.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  40. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

NNAO is currently a builtin-only effect, but you are right about HDRP's AO being quite blurry/lacking detail.

I am working on a broader 2020.3 LTS update to PRISM and can definitely investigate porting NNAO over to HDRP if there is demand for it.

41. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

42. tntfoz

tntfoz

I know PRISM v3 doesn't support VR (as stated on the asset store page) but is that something you'll be looking to remedy in the future?

I think the asset would be a boon for VR developers looking for a great image quality vs performance solution, particularly if you can add support for single pass stereo rendering. Do you have any timeline planned?

43. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hi!

If there is interest for VR developers, this is definitely something I can investigate with a future update of PRISM.

blacksun666 and tntfoz like this.
  44. tntfoz

tntfoz

Apologies for the late response! Looks like I'm the only VR dev here! :)

But definitely please have a quick look to see if adding single-pass stereo support to your shader(s) is a possibility. Thanks!

GoGoGadget likes this.
  45. blueivy

blueivy

Does prism have the DLAA of cupp? I'm starting a new project and your dlaa is the only one of it's kind available in unity, but i'd rather use the built in pipeline if possible.

46. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Currently no, but it is planned to come in the next PRISM update! Should be out within the next two weeks or earlier.

blueivy likes this.
  47. blueivy

blueivy

That’s awesome to hear thank you!

48. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Apologies for the slight delay, but the new version of PRISM, with DLAA and a number of other improvements is now live on the Asset Store! It's recommended to update to this version.

AlejMC and blueivy like this.
  49. blueivy

blueivy

Best Christmas gift ever haha! Can't wait to test it out.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  50. blueivy

blueivy

I finally got the chance to play with Prism and I'm not seeing DLAA as one of the effects that I add to my camera, am I missing a step?