Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PRISM - Realistic All-In-One Post-Processing for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GoGoGadget, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Ralrigs

Ralrigs

@GoGoGadget Ok thank you but will it be on same asset or on new package? i bought prism some times ago and i didnt even had time to work with it :( and now i want to add it on my project its no more working on 2019 hdrp, its to bad for me like i wasted my money on nothink

GoGoGadget likes this.
  2. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

It will be the same package, with a very small upgrade cost for existing users, but the base price of PRISM will be readjusted for V3 on release to mark all the new features. So basically, if you've bought PRISM for its current price/& are an existing owner, it's either going to end up being the same price or cheaper to upgrade to PRISMv3 than if you buy V3 outright.

Also - PRISMv2 works well in Unity 2019.x - it's not broken or anything, just doesn't use the new PostProcessing stack layout.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    NeatWolf likes this.
  3. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Good progress on PRISMv3's noise feature. Great for using as a dither at low values, now with a range that closer follows a digital camera with ISO range of around 50-25600 (10 steps). Also lets you scale the size of the noise, which can be handy for some looks.

And what do you need to do on a digital camera when noise gets too high? Reduce it of course ;) Haven't ported it over to the stack yet but noise + NR looks SUPER cool in the dark test scene I've got.

NeatWolf likes this.
  4. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

New Bloom!

Settings are not final as I am planning to convert them into photographic settings; Lens coating (basically threshold), Lens dispersion (basically strength).

Without

With

And naturally it's faster than the Unity stack before any real optimizations. 0.559ms @ 1080p (PRISMv3) vs 0.6ms @ 1080p (Unity) on my machine compared to the Unity bloom. And that's with every level of the bloom temporally filtered.

5. asger60

asger60

do you have any release date for v3 yet?

6. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Soon (within a month) I'll be opening up an alpha version of v3 for existing users of v2 to get their hands on. Will post here when. Most of the time finalising all of these effects is actually spent coding the editor windows for them and edge-casing them on different platforms.

7. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Continuing in the spirit of making PRISMv3's effects as modern & up-to-date as possible, I've been very fortunate to land on NNAO - Neural Network AO, an Ambient Occlusion method that, similarly to SMAA, doesn't use brute force to achieve its final result, but rather a neural network to learn what should get occluded and what shouldn't (at a very high level).

There are existing NNAO implementations for Unity, but none in pure HLSL, and none up to date with Unity's current PostFX stack, so I've had to do a lot of re-writing already, including implementing entirely new denoise filters to the output to speed up performance further.

The result is pretty cool - PRISM.NNAO OFF:

PRISM.NNAO On:

With all the bells and whistles turned up to max, it can achieve what is extremely close to ground-truth/raytraced at a fraction of the cost of other algorithms. On lower settings, it is comparable to HBAO in terms of speed, but with less error.

8. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Barrel distortion and chromatic aberration has undergone a big update in PRISMv3 - all rewritten for hlsl, including a new barrel distortion algorithm, and two types of chromatic aberrations (coma and longitudinal aberration). Great for getting that real "vintage soviet lens" look in your game, if that's what you're going for!

The best thing - all of these values are grounded in reality with the way lenses actually work. I have actually been using PRISM to edit some photos and correct the same aberrations it can also create, working very well.

That's compared to Unity's chromatic aberration, which follows their suit of being a make-believe effect for tech demos with no real grounding in reality. According to Unity, a lenses chromatic aberration properties are directly tied to how much distortion it has (it's not).

This is about the limit of what you can do with Unity's (it's also why every tech demo they've released since 2017 is instantly recognisable as a 'Unity' demo ;))

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    rrahim likes this.
  9. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Updated PRISM.Bokeh and integrated with all the other PRISMv3 effects - the results are stunning! Far and away the most flexible Bokeh I've worked with, the photographer in me wants to compilcate it with some fstop and real lens values, but that's what I think the included presets/PRISM v3's guide will be for :) Some shots below, showing off Bokeh, Bloom, Noise, NNAO, Barrel Distortion, and Tonemapping.

PRISM v3 On:

PRISM v3 Off:

A question for the group - would anyone be interested in seeing a cheap sunrays effect make its way back into PRISM v3? As it stands, I want to work a little bit more on color correction in v3 but aside from that, it's really getting close to a stage of alpha+platform testing.

10. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Have been working on some more testing, bugfixing, and UI tidying while working on the last element of PRISM V3 before an alpha test, which is some of PRISM's new color correction features, the goal of which is to allow "UHD Color Correction" - which isn't just a buzzword, given that PRISMv3 almost solely corrects using CIELAB color space conversions, allowing for a much wider gamut of corrections in a color space more perceptually accurate than just about anything else used in games at the moment.

For now, another nice screenshot showing just about all elements playing nicely together (Bokeh, AO, Bloom, Distortions, Vignette, Noise, Sharpening, Color)

PRISM v3 Off:

PRISM v3 On:

gurayg, NeatWolf and magique like this.
  11. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

NeatWolf likes this.
  12. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

13. magique

magique

@GoGoGadget I started using the DOF effect in my game, but I don't see a way to exclude layers like Beautify's DOF has. Consequently, I get some things blurred that shouldn't be. For example, the AI name and health bar gets blurred as you can see in the following image:

upload_2019-7-22_7-37-9.png

Is there a way to get around this?

[EDIT]
    Other than rendering on a different camera.

[EDIT 2]
    Rendering on another camera works for me so I'll be fine, but it would be nice to have exclusion layers in a future version.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    GoGoGadget likes this.
  14. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Yep, rendering on another camera is the way to go for PRISMv2 (which is essentially the same thing as what having a 'layer exclusion' feature is anyway.

For PRISMv3, PRISM.Bokeh (DoF) is its own unique effect - so you can, using builtin Unity PostProcessing layer exclusion, add or remove it from certain layers.

A reminder that beta signups for v3 are still open, and will be for ~another week or two, depending on signup numbers! Signup here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScMp0RbhHlEM_AehI_nEiTR51oHthWr4EoNGFodbeGvgAosyw/viewform

Finally, a bit of a different showcase example - I've been trying to implement some of PRISMv3's effects into my new photo editing workflow. Shown here is PRISM's Color Correction for the nice sky tones and underside of the building, PRISM's barrel distortion to actually correct the image, chromatic aberration as well (as this was shot on an old Soviet lens that needed some help!). Basically - if PRISM is easier to use & produces results as good as or better than any of the other 3 photo editing softwares I use, then I'm on the right track in the colour department!

15. Digilithic

Digilithic

Hi GoGoGadget...

looks all very promising... it is in my unity asset store basket for now!

Can you please tell me, if Prism supports Virtual Reality Applications?

And if so, is it working in Unity 2019.2 ? Are there any tests?

Would be a simple camera rig from Steam VR for now.
    Having issues with Post processing Stack since Unity 2019.

Cheers,
    Hexagonon

16. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hi Hexagonon,

I would definitely hold off on purchasing PRISM specifically for VR usage in 2019.2 at the moment. The PRISM v3 beta test has begun and I'm working through some good feedback with beta testers at the moment, but VR is not going to be supported on 3.0.0 launch. If you'd like to test however, feel free to fill in the form earlier so you can get hands-on with an early version of PRISMv3 to see if it works for you. Unfortunately there is a reason why even Unity's PostProcessing struggles with VR in 2019.x, Unity have had a very... "Fluid" API recently, particularly when it comes to VR+postpro shaders.

17. Digilithic

Digilithic

Hm. Ok, thank you for your honest answer!

I will monitor PRISM anyway. I like your setup!

I am super busy until end of August and then finally will go on holiday until mid of September.
    I can plan to test PRISM in VR after that though.

Cheers

GoGoGadget likes this.
  18. Zilk

Zilk

Seems like Prism Volumes doesn't really work. At least not blending, and switch directly isn't responding all that great either. And this is in the demo scene as well.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  19. Zilk

Zilk

Got it "working" by switching the volume script to use unscaledDeltaTime instead of deltaTime. However the LUT doesn't blend. Would be neat if it held a secondary LUT and blended towards that. Otherwise you get that annoying snap anyway.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  20. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

are there any new updates regarding PRISM v3? is there any vague ETA on when it comes to the asset store? does the NNAO perform and give better results than GTAO? thanks!

21. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

22. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Apologies Alessandro, I think you might've filled in the beta form just before I put the email collection option on there - will DM you!

23. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Back at it after a bit of a crazy period at work!

Re-reworked the shadows/lift/gain in colour correction - the following comparison only uses that, and no LUT to alter the colour. Benefits include full precision and faster runtime depending on what device you're going off.

PRISM Off

PRISMv3 On

A new version of v3 will be up this weekend for beta testers, this will be an RC (release candidate) for the asset store!

24. magique

magique

@GoGoGadget Will v3 still support the same versions of Unity as the current store version?

GoGoGadget likes this.
  25. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

V3 will be the primary version for Unity 2019.x and up, it's very much a 'clean-slate' approach that will enable me to get back to more updates, less playing around with legacy Unity version compatibility.

For those stuck on 2018 or below, PRISMv2 will still be supported on those versions for production bugfixes etc.

Also - for those that want an RC version of PRISMv3 to test (now with new-and-improved lens dirt) - PM me

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  26. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Last chance for anyone who wants footage of their (ideally released) game to be included in the PRISMv3 trailer, with credit! Shoot me a DM, thanks to those who already have submitted via the form.

Also, looking for a few more mobile testers for V3 - currently have good coverage on desktop platforms, would love to have a few more people who are on mobile see how it's shaping up for them as well before release later this month!

27. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Acissathar, gurayg and blacksun666 like this.
  28. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v3 is finally here!

Watch the PRISM v3 trailer now:

I am super excited to announce that PRISM v3 has been approved by the asset store and is now available to purchase either standalone, or as a small upgrade from previous versions. 4 years of post-processing effects, experience, and knowledge has gone into this new version, and I fully intend for it to be used for the next 4 years across many more Unity versions!

Check it out on the Asset Store here: https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...v3-realistic-post-processing-for-unity-157871

And of course, a roadmap for some upcoming future updates:
    1. December - Bloom additional performance and highlight options, DoF improvements, launch bugfixes
    2. January - Mobile deep-dive on android optimization
    3. February - DX12 low-level Optimization and new effect (TBA)
    4. March - Ultra-lite build improvements and optimizations to reduce size
    For anyone that wants to chat about PRISM v3, I have a Discord server setup (originally for my game, Down To One, but now it also has a development channel for PRISM users, where you can get fast support without relying on Unity forum notficiations) here.

I hope everyone enjoys using PRISM v3!

Acissathar likes this.
  29. Migueljb

Migueljb

Will this eventually support hdrp and lwrp pipelines or only standard and mobile for now? Didn't see any mention of that in the description.

30. blacksun666

blacksun666

@GoGoGadget can you publish a new discord invite when you get back online? Also I don't see any mention of VR support in your roadmap to march, any idea when this will be available?

31. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Standard and mobile will be the primary supported platforms for the current (2019.x/2020.x) cycle of Unity releases. Once Unity sit still on hdrp and lwrp and get them to a slightly more stable state, then I'll be having a look at that.

Absolutely, here is the link. VR support will be tackled once the original roadmap items are checked off, so sometime after March.

blacksun666 likes this.
  32. Migueljb

Migueljb

How do I convert LUT's to work with Prism's LUT section. I keep getting crazy colors all over the place. I tried to mimic the exact options that the default LUT's that prism comes with but any other lut's I use look really crazy looking. Is there a LUT converter for this somewhere?

33. chanon81

chanon81

Hi, I'm looking at this for possibly using the bloom effect for glow effects in a mobile game.
    How well does it work on older mobile phones?

Does it require HDR graphics settings?

34. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hi,

PRISM includes a neutral LUT - it's actually super easy to make LUTs for PRISM, essentially, just perform whatever color correction you want to the neutral LUT, save it as a new LUT and it will work with PRISM! I just made a quick tutorial on this here:

Nope, PRISM's bloom does not require HDR. Here's a screenshot of a great scene without HDR on, showcasing PRISM's bloom:
    PRISM is designed to perform well on older mobile phones, with a number of performance-friendly options. If using PRISM on older mobiles, you should check "Bloom use fast mode", set the "Bloom Maximum Texture Size" to 480p, and select "Bloom Gradual Threshold" for maximum performance.

Speaking of bloom... The above version of PRISMv3 has been submitted to the Asset Store for review, with a few bugfixes and some additional options, including that gradual threshold (which was default in v3.0.1).

35. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Hey, I have a 2D mobile project with LWRP which relies on Bloom PP. LWRP's Bloom is way too heavy and I have around 15FPS on Mali-T830 MP2 (which is the low-end targeted hardware).

I read your post about Unity not being able to implement a proper Bloom and I am curious now in performance comparison between your Bloom and Unity's LWRP bloom (or even URP with PPv3) on low end devices.

I will be waiting for the upcoming custom PP in URP and will try to implement my own Bloom with some optimization tips I read across multiple sources (maybe even a hacky texture-based version).

Can you provide some info how yours Bloom performs on low-end phones?

36. Migueljb

Migueljb

Will this work with HDRP eventually or its only for standard render pipeline?

37. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

To be honest, between how convoluted Unity's postprocessing has become recently with LRWP, URP, PPv2, PPv3, even the names are hard to understand, let alone how each of them performs on any given day!

No idea how you'd do a "texture-based version" of bloom as that's not really how bloom works, but good luck with your quest. At some point I do intend to do a bit more of a scientific test/benchmark with PRISMv3 and Unity's defaults, but I can promise you that PRISM's bloom performs better than Unity's current HDRP bloom on mobile, or I'll give you your money back.

HDRP is HDRP - think of it as a completely separate game engine that Unity have just taken the rendering code out of, which happens to be in C# and hlsl. There is no relation between standard Unity pipeline and HDRP, as such it's not feasible for asset developers to make assets 'compatible' for it.

38. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

I have no doubt about that. But I am more concerned about LWRP or URP comparison.

You can read this article.

39. Migueljb

Migueljb

I hear you GOGOGadget. I feel like unity is putting all there eggs in one basket and just saying its SRP's or bust for future unity and if it doesn't pay off it's gonna be in big trouble as there moving on. Just sucks for us trying to make stuff with unity right now and being left in limbo with broken lighting and which rendering pipeline to use for now. Thanks tho loving Prism v3 so far really has some great stuff to enhance unity as needed.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  40. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Ah, I'd call that a material-based bloom as all bloom is technically "texture based" at some point. But that's a very unique optimization, and undoubtedbly would be the fastest way to do it if you already know 100% of what's going to need to be bloomed before the game even starts.

I'll make sure to run some tests on LDRP/HDRP soon.

41. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Will be waiting for the benchmarks. I hope you do have an old or a cheap phone (low-end Android device). Don't forget to turn off Vulkan API cause LWRP works slower with that than on GLES2/3.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  42. stevenx

stevenx

Hello, I'm working on my game in LWRP for mobile, according to the conversation above, can I conclude that PRISM V3 does not fully support LWRP yet?

GoGoGadget likes this.
  43. stevenx

stevenx

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1st3fRIfm9-_LiTrt3A8vRzf89nr01iE9
    Hello, after import PrismV3, I got a batch of errors.(check the screen shot link abovt please)
    For example:
    Assets\PRISMV3\Scripts\PRISMSceneEffects.cs(99,16): error CS0104: 'BoolParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.BoolParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.BoolParameter'

I try to remove "using UnityEngine.Rendering;" form head and all the errors disappear.
    But Unity shows another error:
    Invalid editor window LogWinInternal.LW_MainWindow
    UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:SetPlaymodeLayout()

After resetting my layout, everything seems to work fine for the moment.
    But I'm still wondering if what I did to fix those errors was the descent and why I got them in the first place?

I'm using Unity 2019.2.0f1, PostPorssessing Stack 2.3 was installed before import PrimsV3.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  44. stevenx

stevenx

Another very important question to me:
    I couldn't find ACES mode in tonemapping like what Unity has in PPV2.

It seems to me that the only thing I'm allowed to twist is gamma under tonemap tab.
    Can we set tonemapping to ACES mode in Prism3 for now?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  45. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

I will fix that either way for the next update, haven't seen it on my end but an easy enough tweak.

An option also coming in the next update - I PMed you the link to the new PRISMTonemapping.hlsl for now (anyone else that wants it can also PM me) - it uses a different implementation of ACES to PRISMv2.

46. stevenx

stevenx

Thanks a lot for your response.

After hours of testing, I have to say the performance seems bad to me. I don't know if I did something worry, but this is what happened in my case:

The performance is worse than PPV2 on my iPhone7 and iPad pro, with Color correction & bloom on, my game runs below 48 fps ( it was able to run at 60 fps with PPV2 bloom but will overheat the device in 5 mins, that was the reason I was looking for some PP that's more mobile devices friendly) Even only with color correction On, my game still doesn't reach 60 fps(runs at 60 fps with PPV2's color grading).

Any idea about my case? Did u test on mobile devices and compare the performance to PPV2? What are you result?
    Did I miss anything?

Thanks.

47. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

You did miss something, although it's my fault for not clarifying in the guide. PRISM's Ultra HD Color Correction (ie. all the sliders) is heavy on mobile, and built for desktop and console as a real "Ultra-HD" color correction pipeline. You should use PRISM.LUT to perform the exact same corrections and it will be equivalent in performance to Unity's as that's exactly what they do on the backend as well.

With that said, in my testing, even using PRISM.Color, I see a 3fps difference below Unity's on my Nokia in quite a demanding scene. Here's screenshots - and if I try and make Unity's PPv2 bloom look even nearly as good as PRISMs, it can't get close in performance:

PPv2

PRISMv3

Unfortunately since Unity doesn't support GPU pass profiling on Android, and I don't have an iOS device to test on directly, it would be great if you could PM me with some screenshots of how your PRISM inspector is setup, I would like to see if this could be a Metal bug I've run into. These are generally easy to narrow down after testing out a few different implementations of the same shader.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  48. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Big wins for mobile users of PRISMv3 coming in the newest update, that is being submitted to the Asset Store this week! In keeping in line with the roadmap of January updates to mobile optimization, I've trimmed a lot of low-hanging fruit that should drastically increase performance on lower-end devices when using less effects (for context, the issue that @steve was experiencing, after digging, was actually because every combination of PRISM on mobile was still trying to do a full CIELAB color conversion and performing every color correction step even with just LUTs. This has now been fixed).

Results:
    PRISM - Bloom + CC (LUT) - 32fps, high quality

PPv2 - Bloom + LUT - ~32fps, low quality

49. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Today I received a question from a PRISM user around how to get their scene looking like something from GTA. The first best thing to do in that regard is to hire some AAA artists from Rockstar, but the next best thing is to use PRISM, so I've gone ahead and put together this quick tutorial that covers how to setup a very similar post-processing pipeline to that which is used in GTAV.

As always though, for best results with any post-processing, remember - the better your base scene is, the better results you will get with post-effects!

interpol_kun likes this.
  50. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

hi guys, I was wondering how fast is the NNAO compared to the regular MSVO of the unity post processing stack, I'm thinking of buying PRISM v3 primarily for this AO solution but only if it is at least on par with the Unity stack performance, cheers!

GoGoGadget likes this.