Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PRISM - Realistic All-In-One Post-Processing for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GoGoGadget, Dec 12, 2015.

1. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v3 - Realistic, All-In-One Post-Processing - Get it now!

PRISM 3.0 Launch Trailer:

PRISM 3.0 is now available on the Unity Asset Store - rewritten from the ground up in native HLSL, this is the biggest update PRISM has ever seen!
    http://u3d.as/1FyC

What is PRISM?
    PRISM is an all-in-one post-processing solution for Unity, designed to incorporate multiple highly-optimized realistic post-processing effects into one "Uber-Shader" to reduce expensive Graphics.Blit passes and increase performance.

What does it do?
    Check out the PRISM GUIDE to see all features. The current version of PRISMv3 features:
    (ALL effects are HDR & LDR compatible)
    Currently mobile, PC & Console are supported. VR is not directly supported.

PRISM.Develop
    -A combined, ultra-hd colour correction pipeline, simulating digital development of raw photos. Includes exposure, color correction, tint, brightness curves and more.

-PRISM.Develop uses CIELAB colour space - the most accurate out of any colour solution
    -Integrated into main pass

PRISM.Distortions
    -Physically accurate lens distortions. Barrel & Pincushion distortion that don't randomly blur your lens!

-Includes standard chromatic aberration, and glass dispersion settings
    -Integrated into all passes for physical accuracy

PRISM.Bloom

-HDR Layered bloom
    -Supports no threshold (physically correct) or threshold bloom (artistic choice)
    -Temporal stability (anti-flicker)
    -Lens dirt
    -Integrated into Main Pass

PRISM.Noise
    -Simulating digital sensor noise, PRISM.Noise is necessary to achieve a filmic look at high ISOs

-Fully integrated into main pass, with dither option

PRISM.Vignette

-Accurate, brightness decreasing function towards the corner of the lens

PRISM.Color
    -Photographic colour correction, including shadows/midtones/highlights correction
    -Artist-friendly
    -Colour vibrance
    -Colour contrast

PRISM.Lut
    -Dual lookup textures
    -Mobile friendly colour correction option

PRISM.Sharpen
    -PRISM's ultimate photographic sharpen effect, with minimal cost

PRISM.Tonemapping
    -Unique tonemapping operator, fully integrated into the PRISM chain

PRISM.NNAO
    -The ultimate in modern, neural-network based ambient occlusion
    -Customized sampling algorithm for PRISM ensures great performance
    -The first ambient occlusion usable on many mobile devices, due to heavy texture sampling instead of deep nested loops of slow math
    -Temporal stability

PRISM.Bokeh
    -Bokeh temporal stability (anti-flicker)
    -Front field blur
    -Variable aperture size and shape
    -Highly scalable performance
    -Highly customizable focus lengths, bokeh intensities, and blur amounts

PRISM.Rays
    -Customizable Weighting, Color, and Threshold
    -Tightly integrated into other effects - can cost as little as 0.2ms when using Bloom as well!

Gamma Correction
    Why make PRISM?
    Through the course of developing the competitive survival game Down To One, we used to use a bunch of post-processing effects on the main camera, and because of our custom 3-camera setup, performance did start to become a huge issue. As we've added a few more PP effects, it's become obvious that you simply can't have a properly optimized game when you "stack" effects on your camera - VRAM, extra GPU time spent in Graphics.Blit passes, performance lost where effects could be combined - there's a reason no other game engine does it like Unity. Also, I wanted Depth of Field with Bokeh that didn't suck, or take 2ms frame time :)
    TL;DR - PRISM has been developed for use in my game, and as a general asset for developers that want a highly optimized, realistic looking 'one-stop-shop' for post-processing.

Why choose PRISM over other packages, or the new PostProcessing Effects?
    PRISM started the post-processing revolution in Unity. Unity's new Post-Processing pipeline is based off many of PRISM's original concepts, including PRISM-Presets, combined uber-passes, and artist-friendly inspector tools. Now, with PRISMv3, you can add PRISM to your PostProcessing stack and use any effects you want, whilst still keeping your favourite Unity effects (ie. Temporal Anti-Aliasing or SSRR).

When you ship your game, you can choose whether you want to have it look the same as the other 50 releasing that day, with Unity's telltale ugly chromatic aberration blur, highly unstable bloom flickering, poor noise reproduction and more. I instead recommend you use PRISM for most key effects instead, like thousands of developers and hundreds of games over the last 4 years. I'm confident enough in this product, that anyone purchasing PRISM gets a launch support guarantee - if your game launches and users report an issue with PRISM, join this discord and ping me - it will be fixed at the highest priority over any other projects.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Gozdek and MyGenericUsername like this.
  2. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

This does look fantastic and I is much needed since Unity still seem intent on doing their new image effects as non combinable shaders instead of of sharing resources. Can you say if this has been tried on modern mobile devices and if so do you have any performance figures.

Petha and GoGoGadget like this.
  3. carking1996

carking1996

How does this compare with Scion performance-wise? Any benchmarks/comparisons?

Petha and GoGoGadget like this.
  4. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Yeah, it's completely crazy how Unity still aren't doing a proper image effects pipeline and still releasing "stackable" effects.

I don't have any newer mobiles to dev on, but in our PRISM beta group we did have one user test it on some mobiles, and report back that the Bloom & DoF worked well on mobile, and performed slightly better than the equivalent mobile-specced image effect from Unity, and of course, since beta a few more optimizations have been made.
    Unfortunately I don't have any benchmark numbers from the mobile test, and I do know for a fact that PRISM's noise effect does not play nicely with mobile GPUS because it's 100% procedural.

hopeful likes this.
  5. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Update: PRISM smokes Scion performance-wise, similar setups (using Bloom/DoF/Vignette/Chromatic Aberration) have performed up to 1ms faster in user tests.

Old response: Again from reports of our beta testers, PRISM can certainly perform better than Scion, although because PRISM is inherently more scalable & customizable than Scion, you can scale the performance of PRISM depending on your target hardware/scenes.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    hopeful likes this.
  6. hopeful

hopeful

I didn't want to be "the guy" who asked the Scion question, but it was of course the first thing on my mind when I saw this hit the asset store. ;)

But I will ask about AA. Any plans for adding that?

And has anyone had success using this exposure feature with a Time of Day type lighting? (With Scion you have to write your own script to change the exposure settings for day and night and other lighting situations. In my view a better solution would be one that worked well out of the box.)

Good luck with PRISM! :)

GoGoGadget likes this.
  7. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

So, the reason PRISM (and any other combined PostFX packages) don't have AA in them is because Post-AA cannot be integrated into one main pass with other effects, it needs to always be standalone (this is also detailed in the PRISM docs). Something like a SuperSampling could potentially be added, but it also wouldn't really be integrated at all, it'd just 'happen' at the start of the chain.

In terms of PRISM's automatic exposure, it's pretty basic, although the great thing with PRISM is that if you do need to create separate values for night-time/day-time/etc on different effects, you can simply make a PRISM-Preset for that lighting condition, and swap it in with 1 line of code.

Thanks!

8. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Just 4 days left until PRISM's launch week sale ends! Here's a full res screenshot of PRISM in action in the Blacksmith demo by Unity, my personal favorite:

PRISM 1.jpg

9. Lee7

Lee7

I know this is probably a retarded question, and its hard not to be biased... but if I already own SE Natural Bloom as well as Paroxe Filmic Tonemapping, will I see any benefit to PRISM if I dont plan on using Chromatic Abberation, Viggnetting, Filmic Grain, Depth of Field or Nightvision?

GoGoGadget likes this.
  10. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

I'll let you decide for yourself, so there's no bias involved :) (although for the record, I strongly dislike SENBLM, it's very heavy and unscalable/untweakable)

Default settings of SENBLM + Paroxe Deluxe Tonemapper (Extended luminance preset - there's probably a way to tweak the tonemapping to be slightly better, but at the end of the day it's still just filmic tonemapping):

Profiler:

Default settings of PRISM (bloom only preset + tonemapping ticked):

Profiler:

11. Lee7

Lee7

Got it, get on Jabbr, I need to ask you something real quick.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  12. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Great to see PRISM featured in the "New on #AssetStore" page - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/list/new-on-asset-store, as part of "The cream of the new Asset Store crop." I can't help but agree :)

Only a few days left until our launch sale ends, so get in quick if you want to save $5! No rush after that though, PRISM's price is set, and it won't be jumping around in price like some other all-in-one post-processing assets ;)

Also, this week I've gone ahead and added a new section to the PRISM documentation which covers common gotchas - the main one so far being that your Dirt texture does need an alpha channel. PRISM docs are done via google docs, so no waiting for updates!

13. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v1.2 has now been submitted to the Asset Store! The main new feature of this update is support for dual-LUTs (all done in the main shader pass, of course!) - having dual LUTs makes effects like the GTA "Wasted" effect that much easier.

As well as that, 1.2 adds new setter methods for some variables (like gamma, and intensities/strengths of effects), to help streamline workflow. All of these shiny new features, tips & more are in the updated documentation as well!

montyfi likes this.
  14. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

I own SENBDL, and i bought it because of the physical bloom aspect, aka, based on hdr values, is this the same for your bloom? Because SENBDL is quite intense and i'd like a more optimised option for physically accurate bloom

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  15. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

I used to use SENBDL as well, and moved over to PRISM in my game, which is HDR/Linear/PBR. PRISM fully supports the same type of 'physical' bloom with 0 threshold as SE's bloom, and supports HDR by default as well - for example, the background image of the store page for PRISM (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/50819) shows the extra bloom on the PBR metal that is reflecting the directional light.

Be careful though! Once you use PRISM's bloom it'll be hard to go back to SENBDL, which performs worse, is less temporally stable/has more firefly artefacts, has no real customisation options apart from intensity, etc :)

16. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

lol, i am okay with those 'drawbacks' hahahah, i am going to get my boss to purchase your plugin then, looking forward to trying it out!

GoGoGadget likes this.
  17. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v1.21 is now live on the Asset Store! The main new feature of this version is support for dual-LUTs, which can be great if you need a normal LUT for scene color grading, and an extra LUT for an in-game effect, (for example, a desaturate effect on low health).

As always, patchnotes can be found here.

mcmorry likes this.
  18. SteveJ

SteveJ

Any time I check the box to turn on Depth Of Field. Is there a trick to it or any sort of conditions?

19. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

What version of Unity & PRISM are you running on? I am aware of a Unity shader compiler bug for OpenGL that looks like that, and is present in 5.0 (which is fixed and doesn't seem to occur in 5.1.x onwards, hence the note at the bottom of the PRISM store page).
    Also, it shouldn't matter at all if you're on 5.1+, but just to be sure - what platform are you targeting?

20. SteveJ

SteveJ

Turns out it only happens if turned on while the game is running, so maybe there's a good reason why it happens? I tend to turn camera effects off and on while the game is running in order to see/tweak the effect. Not sure if that's a bad practice, but it's logical.

I'm running the latest version of Unity and PRISM.

Another note though - even if I turn on DOF and then run the game, I don't get an error, but I also don't get any DOF effect at all. If I then start adjusting the sliders for the effect to try to "see" it, then the error from above eventually comes up.

Does DOF only work under certain pipelines maybe? I'm currently set on MacOS build target, Deferred Rendering, OpenGL 4, umm... can't think of anything else relevant? :)

21. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Just downloaded 5.3 and found a workaround - looks like it's another OpenGL compilation gotcha.

Thanks for reporting that, I'll message you the fix. Anyone else that needs it ASAP can send an email to the address in the PRISM docs with your Asset Store invoice #, I'll get the fix over straight away. The fix will be submitted to the Asset Store soon, but the approval process for that can take a week or two.

22. SteveJ

SteveJ

Thanks! Fix is working.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  23. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v1.2.2 is now live on the Asset Store, with the OpenGL compilation fix, new Color Correction LUTs, and more!

Haagndaaz likes this.
  24. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

I talked to my bosses about this tool, but they are waiting on new toolls until we are more caught up on projects, but rest assured, we will be buying this eventually!

GoGoGadget likes this.
  25. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

(Before/after PRISM: http://imgur.com/a/hQL7r)
    Couldn't help but share a sneaky preview of PRISM's next update, which adds in a gorgeous custom Global Fog effect to PRISM's main pass (pictured is color fog, skybox-fade fog will also be available Edit: Skybox-fade fog was replaced with dual-color fog). It's currently using a custom fog algorithm, and I'm currently working on a bit of trickery to make it available at a completely unnoticeable performance hit when using DoF ;) (it's already cheaper than the standard Global Fog)

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    florianalexandru05 likes this.
  26. garyhaus

garyhaus

NICE!!! Thanks for the sneaky peaky!

Gary

27. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Looks amazing, really hope to get this soon, are there any mobile users out there that can report back how it performs?

28. duplexius

duplexius

Tested it today. I have to say you are using way too many shader keywords.
    People use other shaders, we can't spend all our shader keywords on post processing effects. There is a limit of 128.

Could you reduce yours?
    It is also good practice to prefix the ones you define with let's say "PRISM_".

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  29. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

That's a good idea regarding the shader keyword naming - that will be in for next update, I can see if you're testing out different PostFX against each other where it could become an issue (and it's best practice, ofc).

Regarding keywords, the shader keywords that PRISM uses are all necessary - and actually, about 10 shader keywords have been removed from PRISM that simply didn't fit, we're at the limit of what the Unity Shader Compiler will actually build. PRISM only really uses as many shader keywords as an equivalent stack of PostFX will use anyway, but I definitely understand your pain with shader keywords though, back when we were on Unity 4 (and using Lux) I had to deal with the 64 keyword limit - not fun. Much nicer now that it's 128 though.

30. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

New shots of the upcoming Demo Scene to be included with PRISM! Featuring a bunch of high quality PBR models and textures, that showcase PRISM's HDR support pretty nicely IMO :)

With PRISM (including the new upcoming PRISM Fog feature)

Without PRISM/reference

Also, one of the coolest things about the new PRISM fog effect is that because PRISM already holds all the references to the bloom texture, I've been able to directly integrate in the PRISM fog effect with bloom - so that if you have, say, a car with big headlights, those headlights will punch through the fog and make the bloomed area around them slightly more visible, which looks pretty awesome.

31. guidoponzini

guidoponzini

HELP: I imported the package and immediately I get these errors that don't compile the project...

Assets/PRISM/Editor/PrismEffectsEditor.cs(889,28): error CS0433: The imported type `Path' is defined multiple times
    Assets/PRISM/Editor/PrismEffectsEditor.cs(889,33): error CS0117: `Path' does not contain a definition for `GetExtension'
    Assets/PRISM/Editor/PrismEffectsEditor.cs(891,50): error CS0117: `Path' does not contain a definition for `GetFileName'
    Assets/PRISM/Editor/PrismEffectsEditor.cs(891,37): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `string.Replace(char, char)' has some invalid arguments
    Assets/PRISM/Editor/PrismEffectsEditor.cs(891,37): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `char'

32. mcmorry

mcmorry

When you see in the error "The imported type [name] is defined multiple times" it means that you have a code somewhere else with the same name that is conflicting.
    In this case the only solution (except deleting one of the two sources) is to use namespaces:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Namespaces.html

33. guidoponzini

guidoponzini

Thank you for the fast reply! First issue solved... First impression: WOW!!! :) I'm really happy as I tried to find a substitute for Scion and it seem great... But I have encountered another issue, as in pic... Sometimes models looks like stretched along in monochromatic lines... Weird... It's Prism as if I just take out it I see perfectly... How can I solve this?

EDIT: Sorry, as I was doing a fast test, I saw now HDR tone map error... maybe is related to that?

Attached Files:

34. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hmm, can you try disabling Depth of Field and seeing if that affects it, and then try toggling MSAA on and off? Also, make sure you're on the latest version of PRISM, which contains a fix for OpenGL4.1 compilation.

Let me know if you're still having the issue over at support@gadget-games.com and I'll be happy to help.

35. tukez

tukez

Has anyone tried how the PRISM automatic exposure works in a space scene? I have a lot of trouble trying to get the Unity's free cinematic tonemapper working in a space scene. I attached an example image, the problem is that the auto exposure does not have any reaction when I look at a very bright light. I have to almost tenfold the intensity for it to have any effect. At that point the bloom has gone haywire (reflections etc. too). I would expect the background stars to be very dim when looking at such a bright light source. I remember I could achieve this quite easily in UE4, but Unity seems to be a bit harder.

space.jpg

36. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Hmm, is there any chance that you'd be able to provide that space scene (or a scene where the issue is reproducible?) - I'd love to improve that. PRISM's automatic exposure is fairly similar to the Unity automatic exposure shader, so that's probably why you're not having luck with either of them.

37. tukez

tukez

I'll make a simple scene tomorrow. I didn't try it with PRISM, only with this one https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/cinematic-image-effects. I was wondering if PRISM is any different with the auto exposure.

38. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Ah, in that case, you'll probably see similar results in PRISM at the moment.

While I'm here, here's a sneak peak at the new demo scene included in PRISM's next update, as well as PRISM-Fog, a new feature in PRISM. If you were to have the equivalent stack of Unity PostFX in this scene, you'll be paying almost 2ms more on the GPU :)

AdamGoodrich and montyfi like this.
  39. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Any plan to include SSAO effect also?

40. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

When Unity brings out their new SSAO (probably not for a few months at least), I'd like to add in an option to PRISM to save a pass by moving the final-combine into PRISM's main pass, but realistically there's not a great gain in terms of performance to be had with adding SSAO - since it's an opaque-only effect, it needs to be rendered at a different time to the bulk of PRISM anyway, and of course, PRISM is compatible with any other AO effect on the store (like SSAO Pro).

If PRISM was ever to get SSAO, I've been looking at the SAO (Scalable Ambient Obscurace) algorithm that was detailed in a 2012 paper and has a few implementations lying around - essentially, it's quite similar to UE4's SSAO (based off Alchemy), but slightly newer, and scales up to higher resolutions & SSAO radii easier. Implementing this in Unity wouldn't be a walk in the park, however.

41. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

UPDATE: I've been pushing it off for a while, but next PRISM update is going to now have PRISM.SAO in it, as well as the new fog effect!

The new SAO (Scalable Ambient Obscurance) in PRISM is effectively a proper implementation of SAO - Unity's default SAO is also based on this technique, but it is so badly implemented, I'm surprised they ever shipped it. Fun fact: Unity's SAO has a hard-coded value of 200 which it assumes your camera's far clip plane is always set to!
    Anyways, enough about how bad Unity's is, see for yourself :)

PRISM.SAO

vs Unity SAO (YES, those artifacts on the far mountain will always be there!)

I probably should mention that it performs much better as well, shouldn't I?

AdamGoodrich, montyfi and Haagndaaz like this.
  42. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

I have so much like for this ^^^

GoGoGadget likes this.
  43. SteveJ

SteveJ

Less talking, more shipping of the update... :)

44. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

The new update has been submitted to the Asset Store as of today, just need Unity to approve it now!

The full changelist can always be found on our google sheets page, in the meantime, here's the biggest improvements for PRISM v1.3:
    • Added Scalable Ambient Obscurance into PRISM
    • Added Fog (distance/height) into PRISM
    • Optimized Stochastic bloom effect
    • Added new Luminance-based bloom thresholding
    • Added new "LerpToPreset" function, to easily lerp between PRISM Presets over time
    • Added new demo scene
    • Added PRISM emissive HDR particle shader

SteveJ and montyfi like this.
  45. montyfi

montyfi

That's a huge progress! Prism getting better and better. Eager to see 1.3

GoGoGadget likes this.
  46. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Looks great. I will buy a copy and replace my current components.

Is it possible to add full screen anti-aliasing to the same pass also?

47. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

Is ">DoF Focus Point" a measurement of distance from the camera?

I'm having a hard time setting up DoF. Focus Point and Focus Range aren't doing anything for me. While Radius is giving me a all or nothing blur.. I mean, even the objects at the focus point get blurred along with everything else.

With "Visualize Focus" focus enabled, what should I see at the focal plane? White or black?

48. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

PRISM v1.3 is now live on the Asset Store! Check out this gallery of PRISM on/off screenshots.

Thanks! Unfortunately, that's not possible. There's actually a section in the PRISM guide that covers why some effects like AntiAliasing can't be combined in the same pass, right now PRISM has just about every type of effect (or more, tbh) that normal games combine anyway.

So, with "Visualize Focus" enabled, white indicates no blurring, and black indicates full blurring - if you open the PRISM demo scene, that's an easy place to see the effects of tweaking the DoF focus point, which is the focus distance in units.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  49. SteveJ

SteveJ

Upgraded and ran my project - got the following error. I'm set to "Standalone" platform, same as always.

50. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Line 60, PrismObscurance.shader, change from #pragma target 5.0 to #pragma target 3.0.
    Fix has been submitted to the store, and also includes a minor fix to remove an unused licence folder and a fix to "Clear PRISM Preset" not clearing the AO setting.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016