Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback priority

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by laurentlavigne, Oct 22, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I am finding CM hard to use because it's not allowing me to set priorities.

I need:
    #1- smooth movement, absolutely no popping
    #2- no penetration
    #3- no occlusion
    #4- keep in frame
    and I'm unable to set this priority and when the camera is cornered it's popping all over the place instead of sliding to areas of space

CM is a multi constrain optimization solver and each element is intertwined so i don't think it's as simple as adding a priority queue but perhaps add importance weights. Or invoke the magic of neural nets.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

What do you mean, it's not allowing you to set priorities? What is stopping you?

Perhaps you can describe your use-case a little more fully. Is this a realtime game or a cinematic? Can you draw a little map illustrating the sort of environment you have, and describe the movement of the target and the desired movement of the camera?

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

this is the environment topdown and there can be a few creatures in there
    upload_2020-10-22_14-46-51.png
    when the creatures are close to one another their is loads of penetration and the camera doesnt' know what to do
    as you said it's no planner but at least with priority i'd be able to set the importance of zero penetration or zero popping

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I thought you were talking about vcam priorities. I'm guessing that in fact you're talking about relative importance of zero penetration or zero popping, i.e. controlling the algorithm more intricately. I think the navmesh approach might be of help here. You're really wanting your cameras to behave as if held by real physical camera operators in a tight environment. Is that right?

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It would be great but I'm not that picky, I just want to avoid glaring problems.
    Anyway I'm sure such feature wouldn't be trivial for you to implement so I'll look into the navmesh extension tomorrow.

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Let me know how it goes. I can help if you get stuck.

laurentlavigne likes this.