Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Prime31 Tapjoy, AdMob and AdWhirl Plugins now available!

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by prime31, Feb 3, 2011.

1. prime31

prime31

@maglat, all the edits make it hard to tell what issues are left...

2. carkos

carkos

Hi prime31,

According to the Tapjoy plugin documentation : "Before testing the Tapjoy plugin out on your iDevice you will need to download the free Tap Fish from the App Store. Once it has been downloaded, you will be able to successfully test the banner and featured app methods."
    I can't find an app called "Tap Fish" in app store.

3. prime31

prime31

@carlos, Tap Fish has been updated to Tap Fish 2 in the App Store and the docs didn't reflect that yet.

4. onllm

onllm

hey prime31 i got this error while running the demo, i did build and run like you said and i even get the pop up saying admob has been integrated

plz take a look at it thx

"Undefined symbols:
    "UnityGetGLViewController()", referenced from:
    -[AdMobManager showInterstitialAd] in AdMobManager.o
    ld: symbol(s) not found
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status"

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  5. prime31

prime31

@onllm, update your Unity install. It looks like you are using an old version. While you are at it you might want to update your Xcode install as well. It looks like you are several versions back.

6. onllm

onllm

@prime31 hey i will try it on unity3.4, i was using 3.3 on the last post.

ok, unity 3.4 solved the problem thx

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. prime31

prime31

@onllm, I know :) hence the missing Unity method that was added in 3.4 ;)

8. T-Strijker

T-Strijker

Hey Prime31

We just purchased the AdWhirl plug-in. We fully inter graded it whit our game project in unity. When the game is build to the iPhone the banner are the correct size. But when the game is build to the iPad the iOS banners are to big for adWhirl. I have read that @JohnLeeroy had the same problem and we just have to wait when AdWhirl while support bigger banners. Is there not a way to block the iOS banners in the mean time on the iPad until AdWhil those support bigger banners?

9. prime31

prime31

@T-Strijker, you could just not instantiate the banner if on the iPad to solve that.

10. T-Strijker

T-Strijker

@Prime31 Thx for the reply. No ads on the iPad is an option we rather avoid. Is there no way just to block the iOS adds form instantiating and only show ads form AdWhirl?

11. prime31

prime31

@T-Strijker, I'm confused. Weren't you looking for a way to not show the banners on iPad?

It sounds like you do want iPad ads now from the next reply.

AdWhirl does not currently support iPad specific ads. If you still have a question if you could please clarify it would help.

12. onllm

onllm

hey prime31 i see the adwhirl only supports 4 banner type 3 being ipad which i dont have a problem with. But the remaining banner, according to how the enum is named is a banner for non-retina display iphones. What about iphone 4 and 4s those with retina displays. Do i just go ahead and use the ipad banner on those?

13. prime31

prime31

@onllm, iOS doesnt have a distinction between retina and non-retina with regard to size. The display (via code) is 320 x 480 points on both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 1.

14. onllm

onllm

ok thx alot prime 31 for clearing things up

15. Kyle_Itzy

Kyle_Itzy

Hi Prime31. I recently purchased your Tapjoy Android app (among 4 or 5 others) and I'm unable to get it to do anything. I'm stumped, as what I'm trying to do seems straightforward and I'm not getting a single error. It just won't do anything.
    I'm trying to implement the banner ads into my game.

I initialize with my AppID and secret from Tapjoy (and my tapjoy account verifies that the app has connected to their server). I have both the TapjoyAndroidEventListener and TapjoyAndroidManager prefabs active and in my scene. I ran the prime31 thing to generate the xml file.
    In Start(), I happily code:

TapjoyAndroid.init("**MyappID, you can't have it :) **", "My Secret App stuff", true);
    TapjoyAndroid.useScreenDensity(true);
    TapjoyAndroid.getDisplayAd();
    TapjoyAndroid.showDisplayAd(0, 100);

And not a damn thing happens, not on my computer, not on my android test phone. Nothing. Same thing when I try with the test scene. I feed it my app information and zero, nada, zilch. No errors when I run it, no errors when I build...just nothing. And I made sure in the build to force internet connections for the phone, as I'm sure that's important.

I can't help but feel I'm missing some key detail. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  16. prime31

prime31

@Kyle, what do you see in the logcat logs? It could be that there is no ad inventory available. That would be indicated in the logs.

17. Kyle_Itzy

Kyle_Itzy

Ugh. That's an entirely separate problem I have. I'm unable to see the logcat logs as I'm unable to run the adk shell and connect to my phone as it's perpetually listed as "offline" whenever I try to run it. I'm in the process of installing the android sdk, jdk and unity all on my laptop in the hopes that I can get it to work there.

Assuming there was a "no ad inventory problem", what would be the reason behind that? Also, I appreciate the promptness of your reply.

Edit: Also, should this be firing from within Unity or do I need to install to my phone with each revision to see the affects?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  18. prime31

prime31

@kyle, the plugin relies on Android OS do you must run it on an actual device for the code to run. Ad inventory isn't always available and is dependent on the Tapjoy servers having an ad ready to fill the banner.

19. onllm

onllm

hey prime31, i have been using your admob plugin, which works great for ipad , however my ad wont show when i try it on a itouch 4g , i used the admob adaptor prefab that comes with plugin. Just need to make sure that admob indeed would work on a itouch. Another thing i did notice is that when i set up the admob ads for my app from the admob website, they want me to specify which device(iphone or ipad) is my ad targeting. I selected one and i thought it would work across both targets using one publisher id since my app supports both ipad and iphone form factor. Do you think maybe thats why it didnt show up on the itouch 4g? Normally i would go about testing it however i dont have a iphone at the moment so i cant try myself

20. prime31

prime31

@onllm, AdMob will definitely work on all iOS devices though it is quite possible that you need a separate ID for each device family (iPad/non-iPad). You will have to check the AdMob documentation to get that answer. What logs are you seeing in the console? That will usually provide a clue as to what is happening.

21. Kyle_Itzy

Kyle_Itzy

Hi Prime31. That indeed seems to be the problem, now that I have my logcat up and running (on my laptop. Still not sure why it won't work on my PC). Despite running the "getDisplayAd", logcat is telling me there's no ad loaded when I go to display. What am I missing? How can Tapjoy have no ad inventory available? Isn't that their primary business? Do I simply have to wait until an ad is loaded before calling "showDisplayAd" Is there some method for checking to see when the ad is loaded before calling display?

22. prime31

prime31

@Kyle, Tapjoy's SDK will try to grab a new ad every so often. You don't get any control over that. Ad banners are not their primary business. Someone like AdMob or Mobclix will have a way higher fill rate than Tapjoy. Tapjoy's featured apps, virtual currency and offer wall are their big items.

23. nsiomos

nsiomos

Hi Prime, I just bought the adwhirl plugin and everything works fine so far. Just a question: Is there a way to detect whether a user actually clicked on an ad?

24. prime31

prime31

@nsiomos, there currently isn't a way to detect if a user clicked on an ad. What is the use case for that info? App Store and ad vendor guidelines don't allow you to reward users for ad clicks so hopefully that wasn't your plan ;)

25. nsiomos

nsiomos

reward users for ad clicking? hell no! The plan was to force those who pirate the game to at least do something in exchange for not paying anything ;D

26. mehware

mehware

Just bought the AdWhirl plugin (was using iAd but I want to add AdMob in case iAd doesn't show up and maybe some cross promotion house ads) anyways...

How do I get the iAd and AdMob to be of landscape type. I see portrait type of ad displayed in my landscape. Also how do I position this on the bottom, I tried,

Screen.height - 100 for y (the height of an iAd on the retina iPhone)

Also, does Adwhirl have iPad support for Admob?

Sorry if this stuff has been covered.

- Matt
    mehware

PS: prime31, we are using 8 plugins in our current project :) I love the localytics one the most.

27. prime31

prime31

@mehware, AdWhirl doesn't yet have proper landscape support. I was going to hack it in there in the next update rather than wait for them to add it.

28. prime31

prime31

@mehware, I just uploaded a new build of the AdWhirl Plugin with beta landscape support. Feel free to grab it and give it a whirl.

29. Mindunity

Mindunity

Hi Prime, I'm trying to get Admob onto my app, how does your plugin work? do you have tutorial? Do I need to use some other program than Unity to use your plugin?

Thanks

30. prime31

prime31

@Mind, all you do is double click the unitypackage. There is a demo scene included that shows all the available features.

31. dannyskim

dannyskim

hey prime31,

I just recently purchased your tapjoy plugin and have got it working, except for one thing. When I press the 'Award 20 tappoints' button inside of my project built onto an ipad, nothing happens. I click on 'Get Tap Points' and it doesn't show the +20 change.

For this particular plugin, it looks like everything was created within a wrapper and inside of a .dll, so the source code is not doing much as far as debugging on my end. Do you have any idea what may be going on?

32. prime31

prime31

@danny, are you sure you are referring to the correct plugin? There are no DLLs in our TapJoy Plugin. When using the demo scene to test are you seeing the same behavior (assuming you are referring to the correct plugin)?

33. dannyskim

dannyskim

I could be wrong about the .dll's, i just purchased this plugin an hour ago and I'm fiddling with it inside my project using your demo scene.

In any case, 'Award 20 Tap Points' still doesn't seem to be adding any additional points onto the user after I press Get Tap Points. I checked your documentation to make sure the Award button should have this function, and that appears to be so.

Get available items also returns no items even though I uploaded a couple of virtual goods to the store and have attempted at purchasing them in the demo scene. I can't seem to debug this myself as I'm having a hard time trying to find a spot to expose debug information.

34. prime31

prime31

@danny, if you are using the demo scene you can watch the Xcode console. It will dump the result of every event there.

35. dannyskim

dannyskim

i can't get my xcode console to work for some reason on any iOS device. I'll take a look and see if I can get that working so I can get some debug information. The .DLL import code that I saw must be referencing TapJoy's code and not yours (which of course makes sense), so that's where I got confused. Your wrapper looks simple enough and I'm assuming should work out of the box, so maybe TapJoy is having some issues right now?

I'll see if I can grab some more info.

36. parogames

parogames

37. prime31

prime31

@paro, that is already implemented. We name our methods the same (or as close as possible) as the wrapped SDK. See the getFeaturedApp method and the featuredAppDidLoadEvent

38. parogames

parogames

@Prime, thank you for the reply. So there is no difference between "featured app" and "non-rewarded featured app"?
    How can I know what kind of feature app I get after I called "TapjoyBinding.getFeaturedApp()" ?

39. prime31

prime31

@paro, I do not know the details of Tapjoys internals and what happens on their servers. All I can say is the method you linked to is exposed by the plugin. You will have to contact Tapjoy for the details of what their SDK calls actually do on their servers.

40. dannyskim

dannyskim

Anybody having an issue with iAds on iPad? The first time a banner is created and displayed, it shows up perfectly where I direct it to, but after it refreshes it seems to push the Ad half it's width value to the left, making half visible on screen and half pushed out of screen.

I'm going in between both AdMob and iAds

41. prime31

prime31

@danny, I'm not seeing any issues. Are you making sure to destroy banners that you aren't using?

42. dannyskim

dannyskim

Yes I am. I am calling the createBanner method based on an Action, and that should only be called once. I'll put in some prints to make sure it's only getting fired once. Other than that, I'm not quite sure what's happening. I am using it in conjunction with with your GameCenter plugin as well, but I don't see any conflicts there.

Another quick question, what is the xPos and yPos of the createBanner method based off of. I was reading through this thread and saw that you were talking about absolute values across iOS devices, which confused me.

Is it using screen pixel values? Is there anyway to expose the dimension of the iAd banner compared to the AdMob banner?

43. prime31

prime31

@danny, iOS doesn't use pixels. Everything is measured in points and all devices from the iPhone 1 to the iPhone 4S are 320 x 480 points. The size of the AdMob banner is dependent on the AdMobBannerType enum that you create.

44. dannyskim

dannyskim

Hmm, ok. So with the xPos, and yPos values, ( 0, 0 ) would be the top left corner of the screen? And 320 x 480 would be the opposing corner?

I'm getting this warning in the xcode log which I'm assuming is directly related to my issue.

adWhirlDidReceiveAd
    ADBannerView: WARNING A banner view (0x7291de0) has an ad but may be obscured. This message is only printed once per banner view.

45. prime31

prime31

@danny, you are correct, 0,0 is the top left and 320,480 is the bottom right. Double check that you are always placing the ads with enough room. You mentioned that you were using AdMob previously but it looks like you are using AdWhirl which is quite different. You will want to try to leave some extra room to the bottom-right (is possible) when using AdWhirl banner because sometimes they actually change the dimensions a few points at runtime.

46. dannyskim

dannyskim

Well I am using AdMob, but I'm grabbing AdMob ads through your AdWhirl plug-in. Currently, I'm planning to deploy with iAd banners AND AdMob banners both pulled from AdWhirl.

It's strange because even if I create the banner at ( 0, 0 ), I still have the issue with iAd banners getting pushed to the left.

In regards to the enum for AdMob, I'm not quite sure where I should be setting that if that applies to the AdWhirl plugin.

47. prime31

prime31

@danny, the enum was when I though you were using the AdMob Plugin directly. It doesn't apply to AdWhirl which does all the mediation on it's own hiding the details. If you create a banner at 0,0 does it initially appear correctly and only gets shifted after touching it? iPad support is brand new to AdWhirl so it is quite possible they have some bugs in there.

48. dannyskim

dannyskim

Yes, it initially appears correctly. As my previous post stated, I've currently set up my application in the AdWhirl portal to send a 50/50 flow rate between iAds and AdMob. The AdMob ads when displayed appear correct every time. The first iAd banner ( which is currently the grey full screen length Test Banner ) shows up correctly, and then it seems the 2nd or 3rd one always gets shifted to the left.

This stays like this permanently until I destroy the banner. unless an AdMob ad gets pushed through and then the behavior seems to reset itself.

49. prime31

prime31

@danny, im going to setup my test account to have a 50/50 split and if I can repro the issue I'll shoot over the details to the AdWhirl crew.

50. dannyskim

dannyskim

Sounds good, I'd appreciate an update if you can repro it. I just want to make sure I didn't mess up somewhere, which i can't possibly see how seeing as it's only two lines of code to get the banner ads streaming, and I made sure that it's only getting called once, absolutely.