Search Unity

Preview / Package Manager Update?

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Holonet, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Holonet

Holonet

Sorry if I'm a bit confused on this, but wasn't the Input System officially announced to be preview status in 2018.3?

I just installed the beta, and it's still not showing up in the package manager unless it's added manually. Why is it still necessary to install it manually?

EDIT:

To boot, even after adding the latest version of the Input System (in 2018.3.0b1), I'm getting several compiler errors on it:

Code (CSharp):
    1. C:/Users/q/Documents/Unity/Beta Bumpin/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem/Tests/InputSystem/CoreTests_Events.cs(806,47): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.Experimental.Input.InputControl<UnityEngine.Vector2>.ReadUnprocessedValueFrom(System.IntPtr)' has some invalid arguments
    3. C:/Users/q/Documents/Unity/Beta Bumpin/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem/Tests/InputSystem/CoreTests_Events.cs(806,78): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `UnityEngine.Experimental.Input.LowLevel.InputEventPtr' expression to type `System.IntPtr'
    5. C:/Users/q/Documents/Unity/Beta Bumpin/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem/Tests/InputSystem/CoreTests_Events.cs(807,47): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.Experimental.Input.InputControl<UnityEngine.Vector2>.ReadUnprocessedValueFrom(System.IntPtr)' has some invalid arguments
    7. C:/Users/q/Documents/Unity/Beta Bumpin/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem/Tests/InputSystem/CoreTests_Events.cs(807,78): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `UnityEngine.Experimental.Input.LowLevel.InputEventPtr' expression to type `System.IntPtr'
    9. C:/Users/q/Documents/Unity/Beta Bumpin/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.package-manager-ui@1.9.11/Editor/Sources/UI/Common/PopupField.cs(8,36): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `BaseTextElement' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    11. C:/Users/q/Documents/Unity/Beta Bumpin/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.package-manager-ui@1.9.11/Editor/Sources/UI/Common/PopupField.cs(118,33): error CS0115: `UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.PopupField<T>.ExecuteDefaultAction(UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase)' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

We're not quite there yet. Think that error helps proving the point :)

The code is still undergoing a lot of changes while at the same time we don't yet have the automation and verification in place to ensure that the packages we put together meet a certain minimum level of stability. But we're working on it. As soon as we have a bit more robustness, we'll push for a promotion to production (at which point it'll be visible in the package manager to everyone).

To give a bit of background, part of the reason is that we're still in the early stages of Unity package development. Unity development on "trunk" has long established practices. I can't land a single change there without it running through a giant list of tests covering all platforms we have. But for packages, all those processes we have to partially figure out anew or adapt. Just lots of stuff that is changing and evolving in parallel.

Hmm, we did? I hope we didn't :) So far, we've tried to stay away from firm commitments to Unity releases and from bigger stage announcements. Basically the plan is to gradually get there. ATM we still have too many kinks and warts in the system to really throw this out wide.

3. Holonet

Holonet

Scope out at about 19:50 in.

I totally get the reasons it's not ready, and now that it's cleared up, good thing. Perhaps there's a knot in the cup and string haha.

4. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Ah that :D Indeed we did. That was some internal miscommunication on our part and shouldn't have been announced that way. Sorry for that.

hsuchc8888 likes this.
  5. eobet

eobet

So in that sticky thread, where you have to click further into the topic to find links to... still a special 2018.1 build, that not a part of Unity Hub?

And that still is the only way to get the New Input System Package?

6. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Ah, glad that you mention it. I forgot to update the posts. Sorry about that. Have done so now. No special build is required anymore. Any public Unity 2018.2.5+ version or any Unity 2018.3 beta works with the "develop" branch or any of the release packages.

The recommendation is still to put the Packages/com.unity.inputsystem folder from the GitHub repo into your own project.

However, alternatively you can use input system packages from the staging server. To do so, go to Packages/manifest.json and replace the top of the file with

Code (JavaScript):
    1. {
    2.     "registry" : "https://staging-packages.unity.com",
    3.     “dependencies: {
    4.         “com.unity.inputsystem: “0.0.9-preview”
    Note that this will switch your entire project over to the staging server. However, for the most part, that shouldn't really matter much.

eobet likes this.
  7. Baste

Baste

Uh, seems like you guys need to do some internal communication:

8. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Heh, we're aware of that :) Not-supposed-to turned into well-it-happened.

The staging server will go away but for now, it's there and the only place the input package is currently available. It'll move to the production server in the near future and it'll all become moot. The manifest.json hack isn't something we're putting in docs anywhere but if it helps someone get running more easily, I see no harm.