Search Unity

Preview Customizer + Icon Generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StylishCoding, Apr 28, 2018.

1. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Wahoo! Thank you so much @StylishCoding ! It means a lot to me :)

Good call on the file exception, I'll run unity as an admin, that might help :)

2. haleler51

haleler51

Can the custom thumbnails be transferred to other users of this asset, like in a team? The folder and file structure of the team's projects will be nearly identical.

3. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

The config is saved in scriptableobject file and use asset GUID, so you copy the scriptableobject file to another project, the asset with same GUID (meta file) will use the same config.

4. haleler51

haleler51

Thanks for the information. I can confirm that this works.

5. LastChaos

LastChaos

Is there a way to increase the intensity of ambient light? The object on the icon is too dark. I tried to change the angle and intensity of the light source.

6. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Current UI not allow to change the intensity of ambient light and the intensity of the light source is limited to 0 - 2, but you can select ThumbnailData.asset and find the asset data and change any value in light scale. Then reimport the asset to rebuild the thumbnail cache.

upload_2018-10-31_15-39-47.png

7. LastChaos

LastChaos

Thanks, it works. But there was a new problem: I have many items, and the intensity can be changed only one by one :( Any ideas?

P.S. Can you share the open source of dll so that I change the intensity limits for my needs?

8. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

I will update a new version that remove the limits.

9. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Updated to 1.2.3
    • Remove upper limit of light source intensity.

LastChaos likes this.
  10. lofwyre

lofwyre

Hi

With this tool can I create thumbnails of assets within a folder and store the png or jpg somewhere so I can use them in game? I have around 600 prefabs I'd like to create game icons for.

Thanks

11. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

yes, you can create icons from selected prefabs.

here is a sample generated from Multistory Dungeons asset:
    md.png

12. lundon

lundon

If I want to change the light intensity of a number of prefabs can I select them and make the change to all of them at once, or do I have to edit each one individually?

13. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

All changes is applied to all selected prefabs in customize window.

14. ryschawy

ryschawy

Hi, like the idea to customize the ambient light of the previews. It's just not working:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CustomizeThumbnail.PreviewData.GetCustomPrefabData ()
    CustomizeThumbnail.CustomizeWindow.Apply ()
    CustomizeThumbnail.CustomizeWindow.FooterGUI ()
    CustomizeThumbnail.CustomizeWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

15. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

What you have done before the error? And what version of Unity you are using?

16. ryschawy

ryschawy

Ver.: 2018.2
    Steps to reproduce: I actually downloaded, installed and just tried it on all the Multistory Dungeon prefabs in one go. Maybe that was too much?

17. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

I think it is because the resource is not enough to handle all prefabs in one go

18. bstockwell

bstockwell

Quick question:

Does this require that it creates a custom thumbnail image which is saved somewhere in the Assets folder?

For example:

When you "Change View Angle" of a model, will it simply remember the view angle and render the preview from that angle?

Or does it create a thumbnail image using the view angle, and then show the image instead of the default render?

___

I am concerned because I do not want it to create a bunch of Thumbnail image files inside my project folders or somewhere else, because I don't want to add thumbnails to source control for everyone working on my project.

19. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

No custom thumbnail image.

20. bstockwell

bstockwell

Just to confirm what you mean, do you mean :
    1. "No, it must always create a custom thumbnail image"
    or did you mean
    2. "There is not a custom thumbnail image needed if you just do rotations"

aka does this Always require a custom thumbnail image be created?

21. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

2. "There is not a custom thumbnail image needed if you just do rotations"

22. casual_tea

casual_tea

Very useful. Thanks!
    Works great for me, but does not seem to work for anyone else on my team. We added it to our repository, and no one can see the changes I made to the thumbnails, and they also can not modify the thumbnails locally. We are using 2019.1.1f1.

23. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

You need to install the addon to view the custom thumbnail.

24. sobek

sobek

Just bought it. Seems to work okay in unity version 2018.1 other than one error.
    When I select about 10 prefabs at the same time, select 'customize thumbnail', rotate angle, and press apply nothing happens.The icons are not updated in the project view. If I cancel and select only a few of them again and select customize thumbnail' again I the icons in the thumbnail are new, so if I press apply they will update in the project view as well.

Edit. Tried it again I find out that some of the icons where not updated after I selected 'customize thumbnail' for the 2nd time.

Attached Files:

25. granitrocky

granitrocky

Great plugin. However, I'm working with isometric sprites assembled together in-game, and I need to have complete control of the camera, and dragging isn't precise enough.

Could we get options to set the camera to isometric and also input camera angle and such?

26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is this working in 2018.4 ?

27. haleler51

haleler51

It has been working fine for me, in different projects that use 2018.4.3 and 2018.4.11 and 2019.2.11

28. io-games

io-games

Getting error on hit apply
    Prefab asset is not persistent

Is there any way to save settings and apply for other assets later?

29. io-games

io-games

Does not work and no source code to fix.
    Please provide source, fix or refund.

Do not recommend to buy in current state.

30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I see its deprecated, I guess unity changes too much in 2019.3

I would love to see it come back someday for the latest unity as its a nice tool

31. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

So sad to hear about depreciation, I love this tool!

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  32. Vinyl7th

Vinyl7th

Any plans on updating this? We have been using it for a while and upgraded Unity to the point where this no longer works. Unsure which version it was last working with but we definitely miss it.