Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview.8 - Not working / Mac / iOS

Discussion in 'Profiler Previews' started by idunlop_oefun, Nov 18, 2019.

1. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

Using Unity 2019.2.11f1 / Memory profile preview.8 - 0.1.0 / iMac Pro. iOS device (iPhone 11 Max Pro) is connected via USB / lightning cable.

The Memory profile viewer does not detect the connected device - I've tried disconnecting / reconnecting. I've tried quitting / re-running the Unity editor. I've tried rebooting my iOS device.

It shows the following "unknown" iPhone:

detected iOS player.png

However, it won't connect to it. This is the console info:

Attempting to connect to player ip: 127.0.0.1 with a 1 ms timeout
    UnityEditorInternal.ProfilerDriver:DirectURLConnect(String)
    UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String[], Int32)

2. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

In case anyone else is interested in the solution - The built player needs to be in development mode.

Unity - Please include this detail in any future update to the docs. Thanks.

3. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Whoops. I was sure we mentioned that in the docs but apparently we've let our knowledge of how the system works taint our view on what we need to document there. The Profiler Window manual pages do mention it and the same logic applies to the memory Profiler's Target Selection Drop-down so we seem to have glossed over documenting it in the package documentation. Sorry about that.

idunlop_oefun likes this.
  4. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Checked the documentation again and we actually did mention that limitation in the Known Limitations. ;)

5. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

The section you refer to says this:

FWIW, I'm using preview.8.

It should be clearly stated on the setup page - "To capture memory make sure 'development build' on the build settings is enabled". Also, it's difficult to self-diagnose the issue because the 'connected player settings' displays an "unknown iPhone" which cannot be connected to - which is confusing when you're not familiar with how it works. It leads you to believe the issue is the player connection - when it's a build setting issue.

It's true that if I had more carefully read the known limitations section I may have realized I wasn't using the correct build settings. However, there is nothing wrong with better documentation that makes it clearer - especially on the "How to capture a memory snapshot" section.

MartinTilo likes this.
unityunity